Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] AHi Highly Irratic
AHi Highly Irratic
I've just had a 2nd sleep test and received a ResMed s9 VPaP. I'm new to the forum. After only two days of use my AHi number is as high as 30 and as low as 20. Both seem way to high. During the sleep test I had hardly any events when I was at 18 cms. I'm still getting used to a full face mask so this may contribute. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Bob
PS - I don't understand the Thread Subscriptions[/size][/font]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHi Highly Irratic
Hi BiBob,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Your new mask can take some getting used to. Have you downloaded the data-management software, (such as ResScan or SleepyHead, most people here on the board prefer SleepyHead,)so you can see what's going on? That will give you an idea if you are having leaks and a hole bunch of other interesting things about your sleep.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It does sound like you are having too much leakage from your mask. So focus on getting as good a seal as you can tonight. Full face masks can be tricky until you get them figured out, or maybe until it gets you figured out. Not sure. In the meantime download the Sleepyhead software so you can look at your results in the morning.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello BiBob and welcome
Don,t let AHI worry you at this stage until you get leaks under control, something like below 24 L/m and there is always an acclimatizing period so you get accustomed to sleeping with mask strapped on your face attached with 6ft hose connected to a blower
You,re just taking your first baby steps towards better health
Tips for new CPAP users wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
Thread subscriptions http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...scriptions

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks you guys. Sounds like I need to give it some time and I'll also download the software and take a look.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BiBob, welcome to the forum!

I also use the Quattro FX full face mask. I find using RemZzz mask liners largely eliminates leaks, and the leaking that remains is softer, with no mask flapping/burping against my face.

I use a new liner every 2nd or third day, whenever liner gets too stretched out. When using it, I try not to let it get stretched out.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2014, 05:00 PM)BiBob Wrote: I'll also download the software and take a look.
After you get some data from Sleepyhead, please post some numbers and any questions you may have. I assure you there are many folks in the forum who will share their experiences and support you in getting on track but first they need to know how you're doing.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've now downloaded Sleepyhead and I think that there is no relationship between leaks and the series of OA's that occur periodically. I put the BiPap on Auto and max/min pressure at 20/10. I can see the pressure go up to 20/16 but the OA's still occur. I guess my next move is to increase the max/min pressure to 22/10.

Comments?

I would include the Sleepyhead file but don't know how.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2014, 08:24 AM)BiBob Wrote: I've now downloaded Sleepyhead and I think that there is no relationship between leaks and the series of OA's that occur periodically. I put the BiPap on Auto and max/min pressure at 20/10. I can see the pressure go up to 20/16 but the OA's still occur. I guess my next move is to increase the max/min pressure to 22/10.

Comments?

I would include the Sleepyhead file but don't know how.

20/10 would seem to me to be LOTS of pressure. I don't think your answer is there. In fact I'm concerned about that large of a range. What is the average pressure, 95% etc. What is your leak percentages?

It just seems to me that it would be difficult to get a good seal with a full face mask with a pressure of 20/10. Perhaps you are, and if so, can you describe how you're doing it? Are you cinching the straps down way tight for instance?
Post Reply Post Reply
Data is always highly suspicious when you have high leak rate. Get the leak consistent and then you can start to trust AHI data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Highly irregular breathing patterns Michael2 8 1,088 07-20-2023, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Michael2
  Camera shows highly disturbed sleep but numbers are "good" geauxdbl 33 4,036 03-05-2020, 12:46 PM
Last Post: geauxdbl
  highly variable AHI dizzy izzie 15 5,611 03-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Last Post: zonk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.