Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] AIRFIT P10 problems -- too much pressure / can't exhale
Sad 
AIRFIT P10 problems -- too much pressure / can't exhale
So I finally received the airfit P10 I couldn't wait to get seeing it was so small and my friend recommended it.

With the Airfit 10 way too much air pressure is pushing through, hurting my nose. It also makes alot of noise and is not that comfortable on my nostrils. Also, it's hard to exhale which I hate! When I put my hand out of the tiny mesh vents I try to feel the air exhaling I can't feel much. I feel alot with the other masks each I time I exhale.

I have been using 2 masks on and off, a nose mask, and the Respironics Comfortlite 2 which is a nose pillow but has large headgear. The nose mask causes irritation on the sides of my nose. However, on both of these I can barely notice air coming in and they are so quiet, in fact I have to open my mouth to be sure it's on. I can barely detect they're on my face whereas the P10, despite it's small size I can feel every second of it being on.

This is a brand new mask. Has anyone experienced this with this mask and do you get used to it? Do you think I got a defective one?

Do you think I should switch to the Nuance Pro?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AIRFIT P10 problems -- too much pressure / can't exhale
your old mask (and, indeed most masks) have a direct vent, which produces a hard jet of air, the p10 and a few other new masks have a diffused vent, they vent just as much air, but it's going in all directions, not in a single stream.

make sure you've got the p10 on properly, the smooth part where the size shows goes down, against your upper lip. it's got that smooth section so you can feel it in the dark.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same mask. I am still trying to get used to the cpap experience but the p10 is not part of it.

I it takes about 5 minutes to get adjusted each night but once I have it in place I barely know it's there. Straps in back are spread as far apart to minimum pressure and I had a chin strap to control mouth leaks. I am using the chin strap less and less as I get more comfortable.

In addition, it came with 3 pillow sizes. The RT said I needed the small but I tried all 3 and like the medium best. The large even felt better than the small.

I am learning a lot about patience.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
hi genieangel,

welcome to the forum.

A lot of times when people are having trouble fitting the P10, the solution is to step up a size on the mask insert. The pillows should not be inserted into your nostrils, but rather they should be large enough to form a seal around the rims of the nostrils.

Make sure you have it seated with the correct side up or else it may be quite uncomfortable. When properly positioned, the outlets should be pointing slightly upward, the pillows form a gentle seal around the rim of the nostrils, and the mask is very quiet.

One other thing to note is that the air outlets have two layers of silicone. Some people have reported discomfort and noise when the two layers are bunched up from squeezing them while cleaning etc. So make sure the two layers are smooth with each other.

As for pressure, I have found my auto set uses lower pressure on P10 than on the FFM I used to use. Since your machine is in auto mode it will find the right pressure for you. And I suspect you may also find that it's lower than with a FFM.

There is also a setting in the CPAP machine, under My Options, called Mask. Set that to Pillows when you use pillows. I don't think that changes pressure but it alters the way the machine measures air flow for leaks to match the different ventilators of full face, nasal mask, or pillows.

hope this info is helpful. P10s are a wonderful thing in my experience. I love the light weight, greater comfort, lower air pressure, and lower leak rates over a FFM (in my case F10 or F&P Simplus). I sleep more better using P10s than using FFMs.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people have problems exhaling into pressure (me for one) and some don't. I can't us it, tried and it's not an option. I told the DME that I had tried it and they actually snorted, "that's not the mask for you". Look so nice, but no.

At least look at the Amara View, it has some tricks, but minimal face coverage
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi genieangel,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with getting a good fit with the P10. The mask is the most difficult part of this whole thing, so, if you just can't get used to the mask you are trying now, don't be shy about asking to try different ones, there are lots to choose from out there so, keep trying 'till you find one that works for you.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2016, 05:50 PM)genieangel Wrote: Also, it's hard to exhale which I hate! When I put my hand out of the tiny mesh vents I try to feel the air exhaling I can't feel much. I feel alot with the other masks each I time I exhale.

I have trouble exhaling when the EPR is off on every mask I have tried. When set to EPR3 it is easy. ERP2 is tolerable and gives me lower AHI
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 08:41 PM)0rangebear Wrote: ]I have trouble exhaling when the EPR is off on every mask I have tried. When set to EPR3 it is easy. ERP2 is tolerable and gives me lower AHI

Well, that's obviously true for you. And it's true for me as well.

But that doesn't make it true for everyone.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2016, 10:46 PM)SaldusMiegas Wrote: hi genieangel,
A lot of times when people are having trouble fitting the P10, the solution is to step up a size on the mask insert. The pillows should not be inserted into your nostrils, but rather they should be large enough to form a seal around the rims of the nostrils.
Saldus Miegas

This was my problem. I had previously used a Swift FX with medium and did the same with the P10 but was having problems with sore nostrils etc. so I decided to go up a size to large and now it fits like a dream.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been able to solve my problem exhaling with the Airfit P10 nasal mask. I felt like i was gasping for air and laboring to exhale.  I haven't seen the solution in this forum so i'm hoping it helps some else having the same issue. 

I've seen lots of people not being able to exhale well with P10 and/or feeling claustrophobic.  The forum offers different solutions to clean the mask, cut holes in the vents, make sure the pillow are not inverted, or if that doesnt work, switch to a different mask. 

Problem: My problem was that, previous to purchasing my P10,  I was used to wearing a full face mask. Exhaling was easy and never was a problem - but it leaked air and never sealed correctly.  So i started weaing it super tight to seal better.

When i bought the new P10 - I automatically put it on too tightly with the same amount of pressure!!!! You can inhale fine, but you will not be able to exhale with the P10 on tight!!!

The solution - for me - is to adjust the straps as lightly as possible  The way it's designed, it won't work if strapped on tight. Seems kind of obvious to most of you, but if you're used to a full mask strapped on tight, it wasn't obvious to me.   Hope this helps

P.S.  With the new mask, i used mouth tape for the first few weeks to retrain myself to breath only through the nose. As a result of the new mask and nasal only breathing, my "events per hour" went from over 10 to under 1!!!!   I think this is fantastic and i'm waking up a LOT more rested.  Hope this helps someone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 49 3,136 1 hour ago
Last Post: yankees123
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,569 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,009 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,976 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,862 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.