Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Closed nostril side sleeping, deviated septum, PAP effects?
Closed nostril side sleeping, deviated septum, PAP effects?
My brain MRI shows sinus, i am side sleeper, so on right side my side nostril gets blocked, and left side my left side (with deviated septum) gets blocked.

I'm wondering how does this affect PAP or if it can be spotted on Oscar ( my previous posts have many screenshots).

why i'm asking this today, because i was sleeping with little tightened on the nose evora mask, my head was almost towards the ground from my pillow edge and i noticed while drifting to sleep my nose felt nlocked and was aroused. I had to raise the IPAP pressure to go back to sleep.

I had in lab sleep studies (twice), is that something that can show on sleep studies or could affect therapy ( i never have successful pap therapy so far ). should i mention turbinate swallowing to my ENT ? can biPAP make it better/worse?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Closed nostril side sleeping, deviated septum, PAP effects?
Using nasal pillows is helpful in stenting the nasal airway open. Bilevel van help, but with EPR the Resmed Autoset provides up to 3 cm pressure differential between inhale and exhale. I don’t recall your settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2023, 03:24 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Using nasal pillows is helpful in stenting the nasal airway open. Bilevel van help, but with EPR the Resmed Autoset provides up to 3 cm pressure differential between inhale and exhale. I don’t recall your settings.

I have aircurve 10 vauto, using PS of 4.8
5 and i start seeing CAs.

I wasnusing pillows when that happened P30i, unfortunately I can't increase EPAP more than 6 with nasal/pillow masks as air start "escaping" into my mouth, I have 2 wisdom teeth taken, air always seem to enter from there sleeping on the side opposite to the wisdom teeth (they are both on left side).

More EPAP as in 8 and it doesn't matter anymore I'll just keep waking up every time I sleep with air puffing my cheeks.

So I can only rely on FFM for now, Evora, I'm using epap 10, ps 4.8 vauto
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm also a side sleeper and occasionally have nasal sinus issues that block my nasal air passage.

What's helped me tremendously to pretty much eliminate those occurrences is Flonase. My ENT recommended two sprays in each nostril, but I found that one spray in each nostril is sufficient for me.

I also use a Breathe Right strip before bed and before hooking up to APAP. I do notice a slight improvement in breathing after I apply the strip, but I'm not really sure how effective it is once I fall asleep. When I awaken and unhook from APAP, I don't believe the Breathe Right strip is helping my breathing at this point.

I feel for you concerning the air puffing your cheeks. I have the same problem with pressure much above 8.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another sinus issue, side sleeper, deviated septum here, ditto Flonase.
For that P30i have you tried mouth tape yet? Worked wonders for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2023, 06:09 PM)Sleepy Quixote Wrote: Another sinus issue, side sleeper, deviated septum here, ditto Flonase.
For that P30i have you tried mouth tape yet? Worked wonders for me.

Yep, can't sleep without mouth tape, doesn't stop the air seeping into my mouth with higher epap though. I had tongue base surgeries plus the one sided removed wisdom teeth, no training allows me to get needed higher EPAP, I really wish to get rid of the FFM leaks and used a nasal or pillow mask but I gave up. Highest epap I could go was 6.4/PS 5 if I'm lucky. And is not enough .
My FFM is on 10/4.8PS
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey sleepyzzz,

I had troubles with mouth leaks and chipmunk cheeks with many different types of tape, some were too porous, Knesiology for one, chipmunk cheeks there, some would lose adhesion in one corner due to drool, annoying motorboat out the side of the mouth there. The one tape that worked for me was Cover-roll Stretch tape. Have you tried that one yet? I tried many types, but that one has been golden for me most of the time. Once I get a solid seal, just a little recirc in there but nit much.

Good luck, keep at it that's how we get good at it!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2023, 08:27 PM)Sleepy Quixote Wrote: Hey sleepyzzz,

I had troubles with mouth leaks and chipmunk cheeks with many different types of tape, some were too porous, Knesiology for one, chipmunk cheeks there, some would lose adhesion in one corner due to drool, annoying motorboat out the side of the mouth there. The one tape that worked for me was Cover-roll Stretch tape. Have you tried that one yet? I tried many types, but that one has been golden for me most of the time. Once I get a solid seal, just a little recirc in there but nit much.

Good luck, keep at it that's how we get good at it!
Use 3m microphone, no leaks, stays sealed, but has nothing to do with the pressurized air entering my mouth. I wake up from the inflated cheeks not the air escaping the tape seal
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 9 102 5 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 174 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 642 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 528 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,097 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 999 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 517 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.