Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] APC-UPS
Smile 
APC-UPS
Dear fellow users:

I am not sure which category this falls under or it may have been discuss, but here a little bit of information regarding all CPAP or other type or similar, I use the APC - UPS battery back up for my machineto connect to, this may prove very useful in general.

Kind regards,

Maple1
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APC-UPS
If your power outages never last more than 20 minutes it should be ok, otherwise you'll need a special power supply,
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Richard,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree. The general computer backup system is not meant to actually run a computer for very long, only long enough for the user to save everything and do a safe shut down. I doubt it would run a CPAP longer than that.

Even less if the humidifier is on.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
But one point that many may be missing, is a UPS also *conditions* the current, meaning no spikes, sags, drops, etc... Ever see a light flicker? Ever see a light go dim for a moment (but not go out)? These kinds of conditions are very hard on higher end electronic devices, like computers, CPAPs, stereos, etc... but not so much washers, freezers, or toasters.

So, while it may only last 5-25 minutes (depending on battery size), even the smaller UPSs will handle the conditioning of your power to the devices. Which means a longer life, and less chances of an early failure.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
There are two styles of UPS.
The more expensive is referred to as an 'On-Line' or 'In-Line' UPS. This type of UPS filters the mains, converts the mains to an intermediate level (while charging a battery) then regenerates a clean, regulated AC supply at the output. The output is, in effect, running off the battery and producing a constant voltage all the time so there is absolutely no glitch when the input mains fails. The better quality In-Line UPS also have a pure 'Sine-wave' output.

The cheaper choice is a simpler 'Line-Interactive' or 'Stand-by' UPS. The stand-by UPS simply passes the unregulated input mains through some filtering and surge suppression (but no regulation) to the output whilst also charging a battery. When the mains fails there is a either a relay or an electronic switch to connect the battery supply through an inverter. This can cause a small glitch although that is usually not a problem.

The reality is that there is probably little benefit in spending the extra for the In-Line UPS since the power supply for a CPAP machine is generally a well engineered item with good tolerance to minor mains voltage variations.
Post Reply Post Reply
What the OP fails to mention is which model APC he is using. Some are rated at 350 VA others at 1500 or more. Some have external battery packs available to stretch for hours. An APC SU750XL might run an 80 watt power brick for 2 hours. I have been using the APC UPS for years with computers. They are very reliable.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.