Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ASV vs CPAP
RE: ASV vs CPAP
I think what you're proposing- closing off some of the vent holes in your mask to increase the CO2 you're breathing- well I don't think you adequately explain how this will decrease centrals. This is completely irresponsible to suggest that someone close off the exhalation ports on their mask. You say yourself this is a liability.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2012, 11:00 AM)dscbk Wrote: I'm sure I'll be reprimanded again by making these suggestions, but I do believe this issue is valid and a lot of people may be affected unduly because the Xpap and mask people can't afford the liability of what this suggests. [/u]

Hi dscbk, had to put the warning on top of your post. It's not a reprimand or a rules violation at all, so don't take it that way. Just a warning to newbies who may take your mask-modifications to an extreme - CO2 buildup from blocking too many exhalation port holes can lead to brain damage or, in extreme cases, death. Not doubting that your technique might work to some degree, but folks need to weigh the benefits vs. the risk involved here.

I'm not censoring your post in any way - free exchange of ideas is what Apnea Board is all about. We just want new CPAP patients to be aware of possible risks involved with mask modifications.

Thanks. Smile

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I thought it was have too much O2 that caused central apnea's - i.e. the brain stops telling the body to breathe as a way of coping with with the heightened levels of oxygen?
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.