Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Advantages/Disadvantages of APAP versus CPAP
RE: Advantages/Disadvantages of APAP versus CPAP
(03-31-2014, 02:22 PM)zonk Wrote: From my limited experience, AHI is always lower on AutoSet mode and more significantly no central apnea, while higher AHI and few centrals apnea on CPAP mode.
Like so many things in PAP therapy, there's a big variation from user to user. I based my original comments on what I've seen in both this and other forums in both my data and others.

For me: Fixed pressure will give me excellent AHI results---if the pressure is set high enough. For my BiPAP, that means running with a fixed IPAP = 8 and a fixed EPAP = 6. And my stomach is deeply uncomfortable at those pressures. So in my case, I sleep better and feel better with a tight Auto BiPAP range, even though the AHI numbers are not as good. (There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to AHI numbers---many of us feel equally good with a long term AHI in the 1.5-2.5 range as we do with a long term AHI in the 0.0-1.0 range.)

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2014, 04:20 PM)robysue Wrote:
Quote:In my case, easier to optimize pressure setting on AutoSet mode than CPAP mode, as the S9 AutoSet on Autoset mode can distinguish between apnea events (obstructive and central apnea) and treat them differently. While on CPAP mode, the machine can also distinguish between obstructive and central apnea but cannot treat them differently as the pressure stay constant all night and every night
That is news to me: Back in 2010 when I still had an S9 AutoSet, it distinguished between CAs and OAs regardless of whether I was using the machine in Auto mode or CPAP mode.
Why ... c'est la meme chose

Post Reply Post Reply
As a new user a few years ago, I was prescribed a cpap. Had to have various studies to fine tune the right pressure for me. In Oct last year, I bit the bullet and bought an auto (both resmed s9's). I haven't had a better quality sleep with the auto but I do like it, I like the fact that it does adjust to the pressure range I need as opposed to fixed pressure and it's good to see the data with the adjustments, but as others have said, if the auto doesn't work for you, you can set it to fixed pressure. 2 machines in 1. Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your feedback guys, I realise now that I've got a lot to learn with my therapy but by monitoring this site regularly I'm sure I'll eventually get there.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 432 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,421 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,149 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 587 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.