Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Air pressure making noise
Question 
Air pressure making noise
I'm using a nasal mask, the Mirage FX. Most time it's OK, but sometimes I am hearing the air coming out of my mask from the pressure. It's not a leak, it's just the normal air expelling because I push the mask against my face and it's still making that noise. On occasion I've checked the pressure and it was 9.

Any ideas? It's waking me up all night.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air pressure making noise
It's probably just the vent holes. Nothing you can do about it as they are required to flush expelled air from the mask.
Perhaps your hearing is more sensitive than other people.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Being periodic could mean that you're experiencing excessive humidity.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may be hearing the exhaust venting hitting against your bedcovers or pillow. I occasionally have to nudge my hubby to get him to move ever so slightly so that his exhaust flow doesn't hit the covers.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps trying a different mask?
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
The P10 nasal pillows has a diffuser type vent that is very quiet even if the venting air hits something.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi genie.

Good suggestions above, like making sure that the vent from your masking isn't hitting anything like the bed linens. That will cause more noise.

I use straight CPAP, but I have done a couple of auto PAP trials on my machine, and I did notice the difference sometimes when the machine ramped up pressure.

I have used two different masks, both nasal, since I started CPAP therapy this past winter, and the vent from the first one (Respironics Pico) was definitely louder than the Wisp mask that I use now.

If the sound continues to bother you, you may want to try another mask. Or you may get used to the sound.

I don't know where to link to it, but somewhere in the Wiki for this board, there's a graph of how air flow rate increases with treatment pressure.

That's why I said you may be noticing the increased air flow when your machine ramps up the pressure.

It's always difficult to tell from someone's description just how "much" something is, so I'm guessing that you're hearing more noise when the air flow from your machine increases.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's always noise cancelling headphones. Don't laugh, I have an oxygen concentrater hooked into the system and the one I have is quite noisy. Like unable to sleep noisy and it's 20 feet away in another room. So I sleep each night with BOSE QC25 noise cancelling headphones on my head and with my full face mask I look like I'm piloting a jet plane or a space rocket. Well, OK laugh if you want to...

It's effective, but expensive since they cost more than 300 bucks, but I bought them for other reasons and they were a solution to hand.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 585 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,254 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 84 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 820 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 141 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,602 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 575 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.