Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] AirFit P10 headgear tip
AirFit P10 headgear tip
I have been using an ArFit P10 for well over a year. It works well for me, but the headgear is [expletive]. The cushion and its holder last a long time, but I'm lucky to get the flimsy elastic headgear to hold up for more than a few weeks. By then it is so stretched out that it has no more stretchiness at all. Well, now I have a solution.

I have a friend who is a genius with a sewing machine, and she also has sleep apnea. I showed her my stretched out P10 and she suggested getting some real elastic from a fabric store to make a replacement headgear. I bought some elastic about 2cm wide (3/4") and cut a piece an appropriate length to go around behind my head and connect with the cushion holder. Then I take the piece and dip the ends into some oil-base paint or varnish about 3cm (1.5") and let it dry. Finally, I take a razor blade or similar sharp tool and cut slits in the ends where there is varnish - like making buttonholes. Now I can remove my bad headgear and hook my elastic into the cushion holder to replace it. 

I made one of these about four months ago and it's still going strong. Oh, and I just use one strap, as I found the one that goes over the top of the head to be useless anyway. The genius part was to use varnish to stop the ends from unraveling and give them strength.
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirFit P10 headgear tip
Sounds like a great solution. ....... do you have pictures to show us?
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2020, 08:33 PM)Cpapian Wrote: Sounds like a great solution. ....... do you have pictures to show us?

I made a drawing, but I can't upload it here, and I don't want to put it on a website somewhere. You'll just have to imagine it.

Just think of an elastic ribbon with a cut ----- in the ends. sort of like this:

---------------------------------------------------
|      =====      |
 ------------------------------------------------

The part between the | and the | is the end that is dipped into the varnish. The === is the cut. And oil base varnish is better than latex, because it soaks into the fabric better. Let it dry overnight so it's dry all the way through. And I forgot to mention that I had to cut the old headgear off the cushion holder. 

Or if you're a genius with a sewing machine like my friend, make it a real buttonhole and forget about the varnish.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the P10 headgear is a real disappointment. I found that stabilizing the split straps helps alot to maintain consistency in performance. I made up some supports mentioned here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...adgear-Mod, that helped me alot. To counter the stretching, I found those sizing clips work pretty good, if you use them on the sides instead once the headgear starts to stretch and your leaks increase. From then, just a little tweak when the bands get loose again, and I can get these to last pretty long.

Your idea sure looks interesting. I'm pretty surprised that some enterprising person hasn't come out with a more durable aftermarket headgear for the P10. I know, lots of people complain, but otherwise love the mask, so you might be on to something.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives KSMatthew 22 4,242 5 hours ago
Last Post: Lanners
  [Equipment] Headgear for very large heads NogginOff 1 39 5 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 52 3,308 10 hours ago
Last Post: psinderbrand
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,583 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,984 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 300 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.