Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Power Back-ups Please Advise
RE: Power Back-ups Please Advise
I may be wrong but I think the OP is looking for a dedicated cpap battery that is pretty much plug and go. No converters, no variables, no need for tech talk. I may have misread her. I think she wants the sort of thing Yipeekayoh mentioned. She's asking about similar products.

I've looked into back up batteries a number of times. On the advice of people here, I've come close to pulling the trigger on various batteries/converters/I can't remember what else. Always, there would turn out to be several caveats involved--that is, yet more cables and tweaks to purchase before the whole rigamarole could work. For people like me, this is all incomprehensible. For others, it's all a piece of cake and obvious.

edit: and BAng: right on cue, I get a pop up ad for Freedom, a battery that's "Airsense 10 compatible."

double edit: for example, I have no idea what this means: "I run a APC 1500 UPS. More for line conditioning,..".
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Freedom battery with my A10 when needed. Works seamlessly and setup (read attachments/cords) are easy. It simultaneously charges while powered on so if using at home during intermittent outages it may be fully charged again by morning. Have not used it for a full battery only discharge run so can't comment on its lasting power as a mobile device. If you're a non engineer/techy like me its an easy solution. For longer home outages, as in days, consider the generator solution for peace of mind.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2021, 11:34 AM)Aldebaran Wrote: I bought myself a MaxOak Bluetti EB150 after researching the DC options for my CPAP machine. The ResMed DC adapters use a 12V accessory jack which my battery backup has.
The power draw for my AirMini is around 3-6 Watts, so I am expecting about 250 hours of use or 31 nights from the 1500Wh battery, before charging. It should be good for multiple nights without power.
The UPS surge/battery backup has a silence button. It's an APC 1500VA model BX1500M.

Sorry to rain on your parade but the BX1500M is not a 1500 Wh battery, it is 1500 VA which tells you nothing about run time. Run time at 90 watts (the lowest they specify) is only 1 hr 15 min so you will probably be lucky to get 2 nights of use with that backup. If using a full size CPAP like a Resmed Autoset with humidifer then power draw is closer to 40 watts and probably would only get 2-3 hours.

I don't really see the point of a battery backup unless you live somewhere with sketchy electricity that flips off regularly or if your treatment is critical to health. If you can get by the odd night without CPAP use then I would not bother with a battery backup cause it will probably not get used that much and most are lucky to last 3-5 years.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2021, 09:15 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Sorry to rain on your parade but the BX1500M is not a 1500 Wh battery, it is 1500 VA which tells you nothing about run time. Run time at 90 watts (the lowest they specify) is only 1 hr 15 min so you will probably be lucky to get 2 nights of use with that backup. If using a full size CPAP like a Resmed Autoset with humidifer then power draw is closer to 40 watts and probably would only get 2-3 hours.

Yes, you are correct, the APC surge protector with battery backup is only 1500VA. However, I have another battery backup that is really spec'd at 1500Wh.
Bluetti EB150 1500Wh/1000W Portable Power Station - Solar Generator for Outdoors Camping – BluettiPower
Post Reply Post Reply
" I have no idea what this means: "I run a APC 1500 UPS. More for line conditioning,..". "

Most (all ?) UPS units have a decent line filter to absorb spikes and line noise, they will even kick over to battery if the spikes/noise get bad enough.
We're in a rural setting, and I wouldnt dream of having stuff like PCs, my AV system and my Cpap just plugged into the wall without a UPS.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2021, 11:58 AM)Aldebaran Wrote: Yes, you are correct, the APC surge protector with battery backup is only 1500VA. However, I have another battery backup that is really spec'd at 1500Wh.
Bluetti EB150 1500Wh/1000W Portable Power Station - Solar Generator for Outdoors Camping – BluettiPower

Ah, and priced as I would expect.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, that price should blow a fuse or two. $1,099!? Nah.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,974 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First Night Looking for advise wjg1 4 180 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 521 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 934 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 294 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.