Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switched from APAP to BiPAP, sleep is better but aerophagia is much worse?
Switched from APAP to BiPAP, sleep is better but aerophagia is much worse?
Didn't update profile yet, I'm using the same mask but my new machine is a Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto.

Current Settings:
EPAP Min: 6
IPAP Max: 14
PS: 4

APAP settings:
Min: 8.4
Max: ~12 I think
EPR: 3

I've noticed that my sleep is much better but I'm experiencing aerophagia and wake up painfully bloated in the morning. Should I try lowering the Pressure Support a bit? Or maybe lower my EPAP by 1?

One Oscar screenshot is from the APAP, the other is from the BiPAP just in case they are needed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switched from APAP to BiPAP, sleep is better but aerophagia is much worse?
Both screenshots provide an excellent comparison.

What I notice is that your median pressure went from 8.66 to 10.02. What I have seen from other posts is that aerophagia is reduced when the median pressure is reduced, and we see from your results that aerophagia increased when the median pressure increased.

With very low OA, hypopnea, and flow limits, I think you can reduce your minimum pressure and pressure support. I suggest a minimum of 4.0 and PS of 3.0 and try for a few days and evaluate comfort and AHI. If the AHI is trending up, increase the minimum slightly every other day until the aerophagia recurs, then back off.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 179 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 593 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 585 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.