Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Airsense 10 - What spare parts to keep on hand?
RE: Airsense 10 - What spare parts to keep on hand?
I've been going for seven months. I have a spare humidifier tank just in case, I still have my unheated tube as a backup. I'm actually on my second climateline tube because the cuff where the mask joins became super loose on the first one after about 5 months, and would pop off in the middle of the night. Not great, but I guess it's there as a spare in an emergency if I duct tape it on!

I have multiple masks (because I alternate between pillows and FFM) and because I use the AirTouch, I have multiple inserts for that on hand - I get them in bulk with cleaning wipes for a discount. I also have extra filters all the time. And I discovered a new supplier of 3rd party headgear for the F20 that is SO much better than the actual ResMed one for me, plus it's half the price, so I'm going to go get another of those as a spare.

And of course, plenty of tape, hydrocolloid dressings, Gecko pads, ear plugs, eye masks, a spare soft collar and chinstrap etc. I also keep (now) a second pulse oximeter as backup.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the AS10 I'd only add a spare Filter door, which is only a couple of dollars. I read a couple of posts of folks breaking them, so added one to the last filter order just in case.
Post Reply Post Reply
For mine, I have a bunch of tanks (3 or 4), hoses (a box in the closet and one in the garage) and mask inserts as well as a couple of headgear assemblies. I also have plenty of filters as well as the a bunch of the magnet clips off the head gear. I have had a couple of the mask clips break where the strap loops through it. When it comes to disposing the head gear, I usually save what parts I can. The mask frame usually holds up quite well, it is just the straps that stretch and wear out.

The reason I have so many hoses is I use a 10 ft hose which I bought myself. The 6 footers are two short for where I have my machine. I found a part a local hardware store that will let me put two 6 footers together as one for use in an emergency. I don't get any rainout living in southern AZ so why bother with a heated hose. The reason I have so much stuff is my DME won't let me not order something. It goes back to an issue I had earlier where they said I needed a new script once a year for parts. As my machine script was written as "dispense as written" they interpret the same for the supplies. Hence, with a list of parts, I get what I am eligible for whether I need it or not. MOre money for them. What is good is my wife also as an Air series machine and uses the same mask and parts. Her doctor wrote her script differently, so she doesn't have to order parts like I do and we can swap in an emergency.

With insurers it is a racket, especially when they tell you what you are getting. My insurance company doesn't appear to have any issues as I asked about it and they appeared not to care.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2021, 03:16 AM)Ratchick Wrote: I've been going for seven months. I have a spare humidifier tank just in case, I still have my unheated tube as a backup. I'm actually on my second climateline tube because the cuff where the mask joins became super loose on the first one after about 5 months, and would pop off in the middle of the night. Not great, but I guess it's there as a spare in an emergency if I duct tape it on!

I've found that a few tight wraps with a rubber band fixes this.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Melman. I tried a number of things, but it was very persistent... no matter what, it still managed to (eventually) burst free in the middle of the night! LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2021, 08:42 AM)mrmagloo Wrote: For the AS10 I'd only add a spare Filter door, which is only a couple of dollars.  I read a couple of posts of folks breaking them, so added one to the last filter order just in case.

Good tip! I forgot all about the filter door. Mine broke after less than 1 yr. of use.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend 2 spare water chambers, 2 spare hoses, 4 spare filters, extra mask. If you travel and only have one machine, an extra cord might not be a bad idea since that is often what gets left behind either at home or at the hotel. I also recommend a full face mask if you don't ordinarily use them. Rarely get bronchitis or bad cold any longer but it made a huge difference.

The reason why I recommend 2 spares is because of supply interruption - insurance, DME provider, doctor approval. For some patients, it's taking 4-6 months for an appointment in order to get a new prescription for supplies. In addition, when my brother was hospitalized, the nurses broke a water chamber each time he was there. If he didn't have that second spare, I would have had to buy out of pocket (his insurance covers 100% within the schedule only). His meds cost a lot so anything I don't have to pay out of pocket is better.

FWIW my spare is a duplicate of the same machine I normally use. I quite happily missed out on the 11. I think my two machines will take me for at least 10 years or until they stop making chambers for them. So I'm thinking a slightly higher stockpile. These machines are rated to 24,000 hours, so I may not need a new machine for a decade more more.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2021, 11:41 AM)Ratchick Wrote: Thanks Melman. I tried a number of things, but it was very persistent... no matter what, it still managed to (eventually) burst free in the middle of the night! LOL

Try using a small zip-tie. Pull it tight and cut off the remainder. I'm using a few wraps of electrician's tape on mine. So far, it's good to go.  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 6 147 10 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 282 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,186 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,585 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,631 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76
  Airsense 11: SmartStart is Off, but Airsense keeps turning on by itself kklein 4 3,494 03-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: kklein

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.