Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed AirSense 10 cutting off at night
Resmed AirSense 10 cutting off at night
I'm camp hosting for 2 months and have been using the Resmed 12v to 24v adapter to power up my autopap resmed airsense 10.    Over the past week, I started noticing that the machine was cutting off during the night, then restarting 5 to 10 seconds later.   Needless to say, this wakes me up and is pretty much equivalent to simply having no CPAP.  This was happening multiple times a night, getting worse in the early morning.    In addition, I noticed that the sleep time was getting shorter and shorter as displayed on the machine each night.   Two nights ago it told me that I had slept 3 1/2 hours out of the 9 I was in bed.

After researching the issue online, I found most responses to be inadequate.   Yes, the filter was clean.  I cut smartstart off, no change.  Yes, it was properly plugged in.  However, I came across quite a few threads that showed other patients were having similar issues with the S10.

Finally, I came across a thread that implied that the power brick was overheating and activating the thermal cutout.  This made sense as the problem got worse as the night went on.   I cut my humdifier back, from basically being maxed out, to a much lower setting.  TA DA !!!  Last night I slept for 8 1/2 out of 9 hours, the half hour being accounted for by my two visits to the small room in the RV.  

So, the bottom line is that, at least the 12 to 24 90 watt power brick, is inadequate to properly power up the airsense 10 when you are using the humidifier at max power.  I also have fairly high settings, 12 to 18, so the power draw is pretty high.   Regardless, I would expect the power brick to be designed to handle the unit at max power and max humidification, with a little more to spare.    It isn't.  

So far, I haven't found an aftermarket power adapter that provides more wattage.  So, I'm stuck with lower humidification.   I guess that it's also possible that the 3 year old brick is no longer putting out enough power and I need a new one.

Just another possibility for those whose CPAPs are shutting off and back on for no apparent reason.  

Charlie
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed AirSense 10 cutting off at night
Hmmmmmm... I wonder if having stuff piled atop the power brick might have the same effect?
Post Reply Post Reply
Further to cathyf's comment, and you probably have thought to do this, try improvising a way to hold the long axis of the brick vertical without any nearby surrounding barrier to cut air flow around the device. 

That failing, then there may be a way to affix a very thin heat sink of copper or aluminum, a sink with some projecting "wings". Have to be careful it is tight against the brick without undue insulation from any adhesive being used.

Thanks for the heads up. I've long had an AGM battery setup for backup. I check it a couple times a year and sometimes top off the slight discharge in a few minutes, but I should have done a test run to use it before now.

Knowledgeable battery users recommended and I bought the reportedly-smarter Deltran Battery Tender, KY-1-R0,  a 12V,  0.5 amp device.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Try attaching the power brick to an aluminum griddle as a heat sink. Otherwise get a 300 watt inverter and use your AC power brick.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 497 6 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,849 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,637 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,841 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 230 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,203 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.