Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Aloha Nasal Pillow Smells Like Dead Animal
Aloha Nasal Pillow Smells Like Dead Animal
Aloha Nasal Pillow Smells Like Dead Animal - ok, I know it's germs, but I need a resolution. I haven't found an acceptable brush to clean it out, either the pillow or the tube. I included pics below to show what it looks like in case you don't know. My Aloha is only about 2 months old, and I have been cleaning it according to instructions. This is the first time I've had this issue in 2 years. I use Seventh Generation odorless soap ("Free and Clear"). I've tried rubbing my finger in it with the soapy water, but the issue is still there. I can't smell that awful smell until I actually put it on and start using it. I don't smell it without the pillow with just air flowing through the tubes, but the volume of the air might be masking the smell.

So then, there are a few questions I would like to ask:
1. Has anyone had this issue, and how did you resolve it?
2. Does anyone who uses the Aloha have a recommendation for cleaning equipment, namely brushes?
I'm looking for something with soft bristles to avoid scratching the mask and tube.
3. How do you clean the end with the right angle?
4. How do you clean the inside of the nostril pillows?

Pics attached
[Image: respcare-aloha-nasal-pillow-cpap-mask-wi...sizew=1200][Image: respcare-aloha-nasal-pillow-cpap-mask-wi...sizew=1200]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

sm
There is no one more concerned about your health than you.
 Banana
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Aloha Nasal Pillow Smells Like Dead Animal
Just thinking outside the box..

Did you try another mask? Maybe an old one from your box of spares?
If the smell goes away then you know it really is the current mask.
If the smell persists then it is probably something upstream like the hose or the machine.
It's an easy quick experiment to try.

The reason I say this is because I had a loaner machine for a week and that stank too.
In my case it was the machine. The problem went away when I switched back to my own machine.

Just a thought
Post Reply Post Reply
How about soaking it in a sterilising solution used for cleaning babies bottles
Post Reply Post Reply
Tks guys, but I must have cleaned it better because that smell is gone now. I realize I should clean the equipment first thing in the morning and not even wait 10 min.

However, I'm still looking for the type of brushes that can clean those items. I haven't been able to find any yet.
sm
There is no one more concerned about your health than you.
 Banana
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 997 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 249 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 5,139 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 322 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 511 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 949 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad F&P ICON auto is dead Letsgomom 19 14,432 01-09-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: capman911

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.