Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Amara View mask degrading
Amara View mask degrading
Has anyone heard of the PR Amara view mask "degrading"? I mean over time does the mask lose its efficacy in terms of strength so that it keeps a good fit?

The question really applies to *any* silicon mask due to the effects say of:
- Time
- Skin oil
- Stretching

I'm told I can replace the mask every month (just the detachable portion of the "mask" that touches the face). I've actually done this and had the impression that the new mask helped (lower AHI and better feeling). But it could have been other factors. Such an interval seems WAY to soon to me. Should last a few months I would expect. The tech said they usually do.

Does cleansing / wiping really extend the lifetime of a silicon mask? Some online links claim that boiling the silicon portion of the mask (not the part with the flap) can shrink the material to regain its fit. That's interesting.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Amara View mask degrading
Boiling as far as I remember is for the straps to help shrink them back. I would not boil the hard plastic.

There are two things, at least, with the one month mask change. First is that some people do not clean their masks and this can cause problems so to be safe for all they recommend to change every month.

If the silicon gasket gets oil on it, it will slip and cause leaks. Keep if clean with washing or wipes. Every night I wipe my finger around the edge of the mask until it no longer feels slippery.

There are many approaches to changing out parts, some go for years, for me personally I am still building up a stash of spares. I know I will use them at some point and I can always stop getting the replacements any time I want. I am not a horder so I assume at some point I will say enough and not get the replacements.

I do know for sure that I do not want to take any chance of breathing in mold or fungus into my lungs just because I tried to keep the same equipment too long. Do I wash mine, sure. Do I know for sure that I have cleaned every potential hiding spot, nope not really (at least in my mind) YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Amara View mask degrading
Thanks this is really helpful!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 355 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Looking for Help Interpreting OSCAR Daily View timfik 4 587 11-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: timfik
  CT Angiography - 3D Airway view reconstruction fotjon 2 403 09-15-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: fotjon
  [Pressure] Recently Diagnosed, Please view my charts DumDum90 4 575 06-06-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: DumDum90
  Dry mouth with Amara View capecodoma 16 4,734 04-10-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: chuckinca
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Buying AirSense 11 online, is it possible to have it registered to Air View? Spartan 1 758 11-29-2022, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.