Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Smile ...And then there was heat!
My heated humidifier finally arrived yesterday. I unwrapped that thing like it was Christmas! Due to my almost total lack of sleep the night before, I was ready for sleep by 8:00 PM. Well, at least that what my wife said after she woke me up in my chair! LOL! I slept a full 8 hours+ last night waking only once to change position and I feel great. But more than that, I don't feel all dried up! My sinuses are not dry and irritated. I sure wish I had done this years ago!
To anyone who receives a "passover" humidifier from their doc and has sinus issues already, don't just settle. Try it out if you like but the heated humidifier makes all the difference in the world! And to my sleep doctor: Doctor-no-get-it
Thank you Supplier #2!

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
06-15-2012 08:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
BabyDoc Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed H5i with Climateline Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 6.0 -16.0 CM
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: ...And then there was heat!
Please explain the term "passover" humidifier for this relative newbie. I thought all Respironic or Resmed humidifiers were "passover" in the sense that the air flows over the water, whether the water is heated or not. My undersanding is that as as the temperature of the water is warmed, more humidity becomes available above the surface of the water to be blown through the tube to our masks.

If your humidifier is not passover, in the sense that I have described, could you explain how it works.

In any case, I am glad it is working so well for you.
06-15-2012 11:31 AM
RespTherapist Offline

Members

Machine: None
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: None
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
(06-15-2012 11:31 AM)BabyDoc Wrote:  Please explain the term "passover" humidifier for this relative newbie. I thought all Respironic or Resmed humidifiers were "passover" in the sense that the air flows over the water, whether the water is heated or not. My undersanding is that as as the temperature of the water is warmed, more humidity becomes available above the surface of the water to be blown through the tube to our masks.

If your humidifier is not passover, in the sense that I have described, could you explain how it works.

In any case, I am glad it is working so well for you.

Hi BabyDoc,

You are correct on all info, we tend to refer as "Passover" humidifiers to describe those that have no heat capability. Maybe I just work for a good DME, but we only give out heated humidifiers to every patient! It's the kind thing do to. If a doc orders a passover I call and ask him to order a heated. The heated humidifier can easily be turned off if the heating is not desired. Plus, it's nice to have humidity control in areas with changing weather.
06-15-2012 11:41 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550

Other Comments:

(06-15-2012 11:31 AM)BabyDoc Wrote:  If your humidifier is not passover, in the sense that I have described, could you explain how it works.

Yep! What the prior post said! With no heat capabilities you get about as much humidity as holding a glass of cold water under your nose! As it evaporates you would pick up some residual moisture, but not enough to make a difference. In my old humidifier that was "unheated" I could fill it to the fill line and it would take about a week and a half to empty out. Yeah, I know you are supposed to change water every night, and all that, but when it is not heated, is just distilled water, it can go a really long time before it grows anything. Never have found out how long that is, but....it's more than a little over a week! Smile

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

06-15-2012 12:05 PM
BabyDoc Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed H5i with Climateline Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 6.0 -16.0 CM

Other Comments:

How much moisture gets delivered in "passover" mode depends on the flow rate, not just the temperature.

In fact, if I turn the heat off on my humidifier, and let my machine run with my mask removed from my face, it WILL spray water through the tube and out the mask in only a few minutes.
(The practical significance for me is that I must remove the water from the chamber when I use my S9 on the Sabbath, when I am required to have the S9 run continuously rather than turn it on and off between usages. Otherwise, until the water gets depleted, I will get a face full of moisture even without the heater turned on.)
06-15-2012 12:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(06-15-2012 12:51 PM)BabyDoc Wrote:  How much moisture gets delivered in "passover" mode depends on the flow rate, not just the temperature. ...

(The practical significance for me is that I must remove the water from the chamber when I use my S9 on the Sabbath, when I am required to have the S9 run continuously rather than turn it on and off between usages.

Oy vey - and here I thought that a humidifier's "Passover mode" was used to keep the device compliant with Jewish law. Dont-know

Bigwink

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

06-15-2012 01:33 PM
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550

Other Comments:

(06-15-2012 12:51 PM)BabyDoc Wrote:  How much moisture gets delivered in "passover" mode depends on the flow rate, not just the temperature.

In fact, if I turn the heat off on my humidifier, and let my machine run with my mask removed from my face, it WILL spray water through the tube and out the mask in only a few minutes.
(The practical significance for me is that I must remove the water from the chamber when I use my S9 on the Sabbath, when I am required to have the S9 run continuously rather than turn it on and off between usages. Otherwise, until the water gets depleted, I will get a face full of moisture even without the heater turned on.)

Well you are also comparing apples to oranges. First off, you need to understand that not all Heated humidifiers are created equal. I have an on and an off. I don't have a high, medium and low. The higher the heat, the more moisture will be in vapor form. Basic science.
Secondly it has to do with a lot more than heat and pressure. A lot has to do with how the water chamber and machine are designed. On mine the air blows straight down on the water and the hose comes straight up from the opposite corner. Yours may or may not be designed that way, I've never seen one of those in person so I can't even judge, but a different design could easily lead to water being forced out by air pressure.
Also, don't forget that water is a liquid and as such will seek the lowest point. As soon as the vapor begins to cool and condensates back into water, it will seek the lowest point, which if it is your mask, guess where it is going? My machine sits in the open second drawer of my night stand. It is a good 2 feet lower than I am and I have never, with my old "un-heated" machine, or last night/this morning with my new heated model had water come out of my mask. I also have a hose cover on my machine which will also help keep the water in vapor form for longer to assist with little to no rain-out.
I don't understand the reference to turning the machine off and on because of the Sabbath. I've just never heard of that before. I am Catholic (albeit a bad Catholic) and we have certain dispensations for physical needs in dealing with the practice of our religion. Is this not the case in Judaism? I mean a CPAP is not just a life choice or a fashion statement, it truly is a life saving device. I apologize if it sounds like I am being "mean" or anything I just am trying to understand why it would be forbidden to use the machine during this time. And by use I mean whatever is necessary such as turning on and off, adjusting humidification, etc.
Now one thought just occurred to me in that if you have water vapor that has condensated on the inside of your hose and your hose was laying flat or coiled, you could pick up a considerable amount of water after it has been off all day and that could blow at you upon first turning the machine on. I have a hook up high that I put my mask on every morning so even if there were anything in the hose it would drain back into the tank during the day and allow the hose to dry out. Just a thought.

06-15-2012 03:36 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(06-15-2012 12:51 PM)BabyDoc Wrote:  (The practical significance for me is that I must remove the water from the chamber when I use my S9 on the Sabbath, when I am required to have the S9 run continuously rather than turn it on and off between usages.

Just a thought, but the S9 has an "Auto On / Auto Off" function that will "sense" whether or not your mask is on or off and turn on and off the machine automatically, without you having to push any buttons.

Not sure this would be compliant with Jewish Sabbath requirements, but it could be a solution for you since technically, it's not you doing the work of turning the machine off - it's the machine itself that does it. I would think this would be the same as leaving a refrigerator on during the Sabbath - the compressor cycles on and off during that time automatically, and it's not you that's doing the turning off and on... it's the refrigerator.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

06-15-2012 04:57 PM
TorontoCPAPguy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 Autoset II
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro FFM
Humidifier: H5i; Control III Germicide
CPAP Pressure: 12-20

Other Comments: CMS50EW Oximeter; Everflo Q O2 Concentrator; O2 Analyzer; Climate Control Hose (winter)

(06-15-2012 01:33 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  
(06-15-2012 12:51 PM)BabyDoc Wrote:  How much moisture gets delivered in "passover" mode depends on the flow rate, not just the temperature. ...

(The practical significance for me is that I must remove the water from the chamber when I use my S9 on the Sabbath, when I am required to have the S9 run continuously rather than turn it on and off between usages.

Oy vey - and here I thought that a humidifier's "Passover mode" was used to keep the device compliant with Jewish law. Dont-know

Bigwink

One must maintain TWO humidifiers if observant; one for Passover and the other for the rest of the year or if consuming milk products prior to retiring. Sic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.
06-18-2012 03:39 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(06-15-2012 04:57 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  Not sure this would be compliant with Jewish Sabbath requirements, but it could be a solution for you since technically, it's not you doing the work of turning the machine off - it's the machine itself that does it. I would think this would be the same as leaving a refrigerator on during the Sabbath - the compressor cycles on and off during that time automatically, and it's not you that's doing the turning off and on... it's the refrigerator.

Are you allowed to open the refrigerator door? Opening the door makes the light come on! And opening the door too much makes the compressor come on!!

I don't think it's logic that dictates these practices. This may be hard for many of us to understand, but there are many people in this world who have practices that don't make sense to others.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

06-18-2012 09:57 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HME (Heat moisture exchange filters) hozholla 3 649 05-13-2016 03:26 PM
Last Post: bill-e
  [CPAP] Heat Moisture Exchanger (HME) for Z1Travel CPAP machine cykoek 9 4,916 12-27-2015 01:21 PM
Last Post: Sedgwick
  OK to turn off heat and humifier on AirSense 10? what 19 6,771 09-15-2015 07:24 PM
Last Post: parkerdt
  [Equipment] Transcend Heat Humidifer Issue wolfydave 2 699 03-14-2015 07:12 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  No heat from ResMed S9 H5i humidier remltr 7 2,244 12-14-2014 04:52 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Is there a way to actually heat the air? Galactus 24 3,426 11-20-2014 04:56 PM
Last Post: Peter_C
  [Equipment] Moisture Heat Exchangers bokie 2 1,049 09-10-2014 12:32 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred