Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Annoying on/off beep on Respironics BIPAP S/T C series
Annoying on/off beep on Respironics BIPAP S/T C series
My Respironics Series One BiPAP beeps when you turn it off/on during the night (e.g., when I get up to use the bathroom). This wakes up my wife... what were they thinking?! I called Respironics and they said there is some legal requirement for this, because this machine is a "breathing device". I looked around and found a site by "jdm5" on tnlc.com that explains step-by-step how to disconnect the speaker (but the wiki won't let me post a link, since I'm a new user).

Then I discovered that the latest System One's innards appear to be different than jdm5's. The good news is, Respironics now has a plug inside that can simply be pulled out, and it disconnects the speaker. Yay! I've had it unplugged for a couple months now with no ill effects, and my wife gets her sleep. Of course, unplug it at your own risk, I'm just letting you know what I did. I attach a photo to show the little blue connector removed from the plug.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Annoying on/off beep on Respironics BIPAP S/T C series
Some alarms can be disabled in the provider menu. We really don't know what model you are referring to since the ST has been around through many generations, pre-dating the M-Series, and the System One 50 and 60 series. In the provider menu the Patient Disconnect alarm can be disabled or set to 0, 20 or 60 seconds. Provider manuals are available at the link at the top of this page to show you how to access that control
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rcattell,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Should be an option in the setup menu to turn the alert on or off. My new Dreamachine has the option of auto on or off, but no longer has the audible alarm.
Thanks Sleep-well[/font]
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleeprider. And trish6hundred and johno02.

Been there, done that. i have the provider manual. It says I can change the Apnea alarm, the Patient Disconnect alarm (large leak), and Low MinVent alarm (not breathing enough I guess). No way to disable the "off" or "on" beep. Perhaps you're thinking I can just take the mask off and let it leak for 60 seconds, but the noisy rush of air also wakes my wife.

That's why I asked Respironics. They said no way to turn it off. They didn't tell me I could silence the alarm by pulling out the blue connector... ;-)

The model I have says BIPAP S/T C series DOM 30 1060P.

Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to change your profile to PRS1 BiPAP ST 1060. We pretty much know what that is. I agree a mechanical fix is best...have torx will silence. We don't have a lot of members on the 1060 and familiar with how to optimize it. It would be great if you can hang around and help out with that. What issues take you to the ST, if I may ask?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll do that, thanks Sleeprider.

I believe my doctor prescribed the ST because I now have some central sleep apnea in addition to obstructive sleep apnea. I believe that means i sometimes stop breathing WITHOUT an obstruction, then suddenly gasp for air. The ST forces air in when I fail to breath for too many seconds.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's an interesting choice. The gold standard for mixed and central apnea is an ASV (adaptive servo ventilator). Another machine that works with both spontaneous breathing and with a backup rate, but it uses a variable pressure support to provide the backup, so it is not always in high pressure support mode. The ST is usually reserved for people with obstructive or restrictive pulmonary issues or hypoventilation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, sounds like you know a lot about this, Sleeprider! I do remember my doctor's assistant saying I might need an ASV machine, but I assume this is the one they decided would work. I did get a replacement Respironics this year when my old one started making noises, I hope my supplier didn't switch models on me then. I'll check into it with my doctor.

My BiPAP does seem to work OK. Though this model doesn't allow me to view my AHI like my old Respironics (I guess because it breathes for me if I stop), I bought an oximeter (a PulseOximeter PM-60A with 3" display) to monitor my SpO2 during the night, and I'm good (consistently over 90). Without the BiPAP S/T, I got sleep sessions where my SpO2 was dropping as low as 85.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,031 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 671 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,402 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,294 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.