Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Another strange noise from an S10
Another strange noise from an S10
I have read many of the posts of noise from some of the S10's being used. I purchased mine in late March to replace my S8. It is extremely quite when it is running and I have never hear the "machine" make any noise.

However my wife has told me a couple of times she heard it making a loud "motorboat" noise during the night. Last night I finally heard the noise. I was awoken by a "motorboat" like rapid putting noise. I could feel it in my nasal pillows and felt the air pulsing. I just exhaled quickly and the noise immediately stopped and I fell right back to sleep.

This morning I looked at the SleepyHead report on last night. I saw 2 unusual things. One period of Cheyne Stokes,(I have no heart problems and have only had these show up on 2 other nights). Then there was a strange group of Snore activity for less than 5 minutes about an hour before I woke up.

I am not sure what was causing the noise. It felt like it was air pressure into the pillows pulsing causing the headgear to "rattle". Of course being just roused out of sleep who knows what the cause was. It was definitely coming from the pillows unit and not the machine. Was the machine causing it? Maybe I will find out later what is causing this.

Anyone else had this experience?Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another strange noise from an S10
Hi breathingwell,
You might consider raising your minimum pressure to 7, and leave your maximum pressure where it is.
Hang around for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2015, 01:35 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi breathingwell,
You might consider raising your minimum pressure to 7, and leave your maximum pressure where it is.
Hang around for more suggestions.

I will try your suggestion to tonight. I did turn off the Ramp fun tion last night.
Post Reply Post Reply
It might have been an FOT pulse.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe problem is loose humidifier tank
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2015, 03:54 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: It might have been an FOT pulse.

Educate me please. I am not familiar with what an FOT pulse is? I have searched and not easily found a definition.
(05-06-2015, 05:12 PM)Mike1953 Wrote: Maybe problem is loose humidifier tank

I just checked the tank and the couplings and everything seemed to be in order and tight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably just water collecting in the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2015, 05:34 PM)player Wrote: Probably just water collecting in the hose.

No it wasn't water collecting in the hose. I used to have that issue. This was air pulsing quickly causing the nose piece on the pillows to vibrate. I checked the hose and there was no condensation in it. But a good thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine will send a series of rapid pulses of air at 0.25s intervals when you are having a CA event. It is trying to snap you out of it. This is described in the clinician's manual.

Quote page 8
The device detects both obstructive and central sleep apneas (CSA). CSA detection uses the Forced
Oscillation Technique (FOT) to determine the state of the patient’s airway during an apnea. When an
apnea has been detected, small oscillations in pressure (1 cm H2O peak-to-peak at 4 Hz) are added
to the current device pressure. The CSA detection algorithm uses the resulting flow and pressure
(determined at the mask) to measure the airway patency.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2015, 06:21 PM)trailrider Wrote: The machine will send a series of rapid pulses of air at 0.25s intervals when you are having a CA event. It is trying to snap you out of it. This is described in the clinician's manual.

Quote page 8
The device detects both obstructive and central sleep apneas (CSA). CSA detection uses the Forced
Oscillation Technique (FOT) to determine the state of the patient’s airway during an apnea. When an
apnea has been detected, small oscillations in pressure (1 cm H2O peak-to-peak at 4 Hz) are added
to the current device pressure. The CSA detection algorithm uses the resulting flow and pressure
(determined at the mask) to measure the airway patency.

Wow, that's very interesting information. Thanks, trailrider!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,255 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  New VAUTO, strange settings pulmonologist edgnoj 25 1,201 02-22-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 356 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 593 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.