Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Another strange noise from an S10
RE: Another strange noise from an S10
Please put your machine model into your profile. "S10" isn't enough. It should say what it is in the lower right corner of the front panel, below AirSense 10.

BTW, there is no "S10" model. ResMed says "AirSense 10" or "Air 10," but most of us say "A10."

ResMed uses what's called FOT Forced Oscillation Technique to try to distinguish central apnea from obstructive. Google it.

When you stop breathing, after 4 seconds or so, the machine starts sending little pulses of air down the hose to try and see if your airway is open.

Put on your machine, breathe for a while and then stop breathing. After about 4 seconds, it will start sending little pulses. You may or may not hear or feel the pulses. Depending on how the hose is lying, it may or may not move a bit.

Make a note of the time when you hear this sound. It will show up on your SleepyHead graphs as some "fuzz" on the mask pressure graph.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2015, 06:21 PM)trailrider Wrote: The machine will send a series of rapid pulses of air at 0.25s intervals when you are having a CA event. It is trying to snap you out of it. This is described in the clinician's manual.

Quote page 8
The device detects both obstructive and central sleep apneas (CSA). CSA detection uses the Forced
Oscillation Technique (FOT) to determine the state of the patient’s airway during an apnea. When an
apnea has been detected, small oscillations in pressure (1 cm H2O peak-to-peak at 4 Hz) are added
to the current device pressure. The CSA detection algorithm uses the resulting flow and pressure
(determined at the mask) to measure the airway patency.
Thank you for that information. It would appear that could be what was going on. According to SleepyHead between 4:32 and 4:45 I had 10 CA's and the Cheyne Stokes breaths. During last night prior to that and after that was fairly clear. I had a total of 24 CA events for 8 hours. Total time in APNEA of 8:19. Higher than most nights.

I have also corrected my profile as I had not correctly identified my Resmed machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2015, 07:40 PM)archangle Wrote: Please put your machine model into your profile. "S10" isn't enough. It should say what it is in the lower right corner of the front panel, below AirSense 10.

BTW, there is no "S10" model. ResMed says "AirSense 10" or "Air 10," but most of us say "A10."

ResMed uses what's called FOT Forced Oscillation Technique to try to distinguish central apnea from obstructive. Google it.

When you stop breathing, after 4 seconds or so, the machine starts sending little pulses of air down the hose to try and see if your airway is open.

Put on your machine, breathe for a while and then stop breathing. After about 4 seconds, it will start sending little pulses. You may or may not hear or feel the pulses. Depending on how the hose is lying, it may or may not move a bit.

Make a note of the time when you hear this sound. It will show up on your SleepyHead graphs as some "fuzz" on the mask pressure graph.

Archangel - thank you for correcting some misinformation I had about my machine. I have now corrected that on my profile and I will try your suggestion tonight when I am using the machine. I had tried to Google the term and of course I got an error message that Google was not available and I tried Yahoo Search and it gave me information about pulses in the feetThanks

Post Reply Post Reply
The FOT pulses are used to determine if your airway is blocked (obstructive apnea) or if your airway is open and you are just not breathing (central apnea). It is the method the machine uses to distinguish between the two kinds of apnea, it is NOT meant to "snap you" out of anything, just meant to distinguish between the two types of apnea.

The resulting flow or lack thereof helps the machine know what to do......if the FOT determines the airway is open (central apnea) the machine's algorithm will not raise pressure as that would not help a central apnea, it might actually make it worse. If on the other hand the FOT pulses show a closed airway as in obstructive apnea then the machine will raise pressure because that would be the proper response for an obstructive apnea.

Go to ResMed's web site for explanation of FOT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,282 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 146 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  New VAUTO, strange settings pulmonologist edgnoj 25 1,215 02-22-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 360 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 595 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.