Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Anyone aware of new CPAP machine releases soon?
Anyone aware of new CPAP machine releases soon?
Has anyone heard of any new CPAP machines being released in the near future, or recently?

Do we have any notion of a normal time of year when new product announcements would be made?  For instance, I know that new lines of TVs will be announced in the spring, and I know Apple will announce new products in June, September, and October.

My machine is currently making louder than normal sounds when operating, so I'm thinking it will fail soon-ish.  If there are new devices coming out soon, I'd wait to get a replacement.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone aware of new CPAP machine releases soon?
I'd thought in the past the trend seemed to indicate new machine models roughly every 5 or so years. Convenient that 5 years also coincides with insurance acceptance of getting new machine. I've not heard of any new model releasing soon. I'm guessing the first to know that would be manufacturer's customers, DME's that is. We may be the user, but we're not the customer, as that would be the DME.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2021, 05:42 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'd thought in the past the trend seemed to indicate new machine models roughly every 5 or so years. Convenient that 5 years also coincides with insurance acceptance of getting new machine. I've not heard of any new model releasing soon. I'm guessing the first to know that would be manufacturer's customers, DME's that is. We may be the user, but we're not the customer, as that would be the DME.

I don't think that's really true.  A DME is is more or less like WalMart or Best Buy, etc.  Manufacturers like Samsung don't directly sell to me either, but they still have  Product release schedules and press events like CES and other tech shows.  They try to get the end customer excited about new tech even though there is no direct sell.

The 5 year estimate might be useful, though, if I only know when the current generation of the main brands came out.  Smile

Oh, here from a google search:

Quote:Feb 24, 2016 — The ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto is an Newly lunched APAP machine that uses....

So maybe new ResMed machines as soon to release?
Post Reply Post Reply
The Aircurve 10 was released about 8 months after the Airsense 10 was in 2015. They don't roll out all at once and they don't have a predictable schedule. The 10 series machines are functionally equivalent to the S9 with an improved form factor and integrated humidifier. The last generation of Resmed machines rolled out after the Philips Dreamstation series were introduced in 2014.

This is not like buying a new car where your investment depreciates by buying an older model. The S10 series is very successful, and I'm not aware of anything that is pushing rollout of a new model. Even if a new model is introduced, the therapy algorithms will be changed very little. When you consider improvements like Bluetooth or WiFi, that looks doubtful since Resmed has monetized their centralized data collection and distribution to subscribers. At this point the entire Resmed lineup uses the same components in every machine, with different cases and badging and of course the activated firmware. Whether you buy a CPAP or ASV you get the same machine but much different function and costs, yet they don't sell licenses to flash upgrade machines to their distribution or retail network. Just a few interesting observations. Anyway, I would not hesitate to replace a Vauto with the Aircurve 10 Vauto, if there was any risk of losing use of the machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2021, 06:54 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The S10 series is very successful, and I'm not aware of anything that is pushing rollout of a new model. Even if a new model is introduced, the therapy algorithms will be changed very little.  When you consider improvements like Bluetooth or WiFi, that looks doubtful since Resmed has monetized their centralized data collection and distribution to subscribers. 

That's very discouraging, since I can see a lot of improvements that could be made, at least outside of the therapy algorithms.

For instance, Resmed put out the S+ contactless monitoring device (cheap! $50).  It connects to your smartphone.  I agree that it doesn't need to be used with a CPAP type device, but if it was integrated into a CPAP, then both sets of info could be integrated and communicated to my phone or via WiFi to a computer or to an account on the internet.  Bothering with separate systems and disconnected data adds a lot more pain to usage.

In short, I can see a lot of ancillary features that would be very helpful to me.  It would be nice to see that someone there was actually working on this stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
What's your wish list?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2021, 06:18 PM)KeyMasterOfGozer Wrote: I don't think that's really true.  A DME is is more or less like WalMart or Best Buy, etc.  Manufacturers like Samsung don't directly sell to me either, but they still have  Product release schedules and press events like CES and other tech shows.  They try to get the end customer excited about new tech even though there is no direct sell.

That's fine, you don't have to believe what I've said about the DME being the customer. Note I specifically didn't say consumer. Then if the DME, whatever name they are, gets a sales promotion from Philip's to first purchase their product for less than others, and sell the Philips product and another brand like ResMed for the same price quoted to you and insurance, which are they more likely to sell you? Philips of course, because it means more profit. And that is what goes on at most of the DMEs.

But be aware of this, if you fall for Philip's and ResMed are equal, there's already proof that's not true. When ResMed samples data 5x more, it's going to treat you better. Maybe ask yourself why does Philip's Respironics go about making deals with the DME to give the DME the discounted pricing, but there's no part of that price savings passed on your way.

So again, you can believe whatever you want. Forums like this are full of opinions, mine included. Just be able to know when opinion is fact based or not. Feel free to toss out my opinion about the you not being Philip's or ResMed's customer, it's not going to affect me one bit. However, when a DME tells you Philip's is the same as ResMed, remember my comments. To the DME they don't cost the same. Doesn't it seem a bit funny if the one with the DME purchase discount is being pushed as identical, but neither the therapy or the price they pay is the same. Suckers are born all the time, and you'd need to take what I'm saying serious or you will be next as DME sucker status.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2021, 01:11 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: That's fine, you don't have to believe what I've said about the DME being the customer. Note I specifically didn't say consumer. Then if the DME, whatever name they are, gets a sales promotion from Philip's to first purchase their product for less than others, and sell the Philips product and another brand like ResMed for the same price quoted to you and insurance, which are they more likely to sell you? Philips of course, because it means more profit. And that is what goes on at most of the DMEs.

But be aware of this, if you fall for Philip's and ResMed are equal, there's already proof that's not true. When ResMed samples data 5x more, it's going to treat you better. Maybe ask yourself why does Philip's Respironics go about making deals with the DME to give the DME the discounted pricing, but there's no part of that price savings passed on your way.

So again, you can believe whatever you want. Forums like this are full of opinions, mine included. Just be able to know when opinion is fact based or not. Feel free to toss out my opinion about the you not being Philip's or ResMed's customer, it's not going to affect me one bit. However, when a DME tells you Philip's is the same as ResMed, remember my comments. To the DME they don't cost the same. Doesn't it seem a bit funny if the one with the DME purchase discount is being pushed as identical, but neither the therapy or the price they pay is the same. Suckers are born all the time, and you'd need to take what I'm saying serious or you will be next as DME sucker status.

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult.  I'm not saying that product distributors don't get deals to push certain brands.  That also happens at any retail vendor of any type, such as Target or Walmart or Best Buy or Kroger, etc. You ever go to the grocery store and see an end cap on an aisle?  It will be stocked with products that the store is pushing on the customer because the store got a good deal from a supplier.

Many people, much like me, reads about various products and 3rd party reviews.  I'm even posting here to ask other users opinions.  I will decide which product is best for me, then I will shop at DMEs to find the best price for the exact product that I want. Insurance or what the DME is pushing in not relevant for me, and also isn't relevant for anyone like me who is looking for new features coming out in product lines.

I appreciate your opinion, this is just not relevant to the question I posed in my original question.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2021, 11:30 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: What's your wish list?

That's a really good question.

1. Connectivity - It's nice that it doesn't need internet connectivity, but, most IoT devices these days will WiFi to store data in the Cloud.  That is super useful.  Who wants to find a dongle to attach a memory card?
  2. Built-in Sensors - Something like the S+ can give other sleep data.  For instance, I may lay down and read for a while before I fall asleep.  S+ will know when I'm asleep, not just using the CPAP device.
  3. Other device sensors - I don't have one, but the new Apple Watches does heart rate and Blood Oxygen sensing. If they had an app on the Apple Watch, perhaps that data could be collected as well.   This would be getting close to having a full sleep test every night.
  4. Quieter
  5. Less power usage so it can run on battery longer
Crap.  it's been a long day at work, now it's 2AM and I won't get to use any sleep devices for very long tonight. Too-funny 

Thanks for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't take what I've said as if I'm insulted. That's not the case. I really attempt to keep everything anybody says to me or about me on the web on an isolated level so it's not elevated to the status of an insult. And I'm not biased towards any person's race, gender, nationality, religion, or any other identifier. I'll do my level best to treat everyone equal, and I'm unbiased in making others mad or happy. I treat all equally poor.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,721 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 365 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,287 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.