Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Anyone aware of new CPAP machine releases soon?
RE: Anyone aware of new CPAP machine releases soon?
(01-07-2021, 02:13 AM)KeyMasterOfGozer Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 11:30 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: What's your wish list?

That's a really good question.

1. Connectivity - It's nice that it doesn't need internet connectivity, but, most IoT devices these days will WiFi to store data in the Cloud.  That is super useful.  Who wants to find a dongle to attach a memory card?
  2. Built-in Sensors - Something like the S+ can give other sleep data.  For instance, I may lay down and read for a while before I fall asleep.  S+ will know when I'm asleep, not just using the CPAP device.
  3. Other device sensors - I don't have one, but the new Apple Watches does heart rate andBlood Oxygen sensing. If they had an app on the Apple Watch, perhaps that data could be collected as well.   This would be getting close to having a full sleep test every night.
  4. Quieter
  5. Less power usage so it can run on battery longer
Crap.  it's been a long day at work, now it's 2AM and I won't get to use any sleep devices for very long tonight. Too-funny 

Thanks for your help!

Good list. Let me suggest why it might not happen.

1. The memory cards are becoming legacy, but not yet. They are portable, which means you can take it or send it to the doctor's office. They are relatively secure, they are cheap, they hold data and store it indefinitely. A secure connectivity option exists via cellular networks, however it may need updated as that technology changes. Bluetooth is used in travel devices and some brands of CPAP, and I could see that happening, except Resmed and Philips does not want the end-user to have access to detailed data. Even the SD card is not there to facilitate OSCAR, but for transport to the doctor. That is why you get the lame My-Air data. It could be much more detailed, but is intentionally not.
  2. The machine has built-in sensors and features like auto-ramp use this. Any other device relying on input other than flow, would be a peripheral and add costs that not every one wants to pay for.  This is a medical device and the expectation that the data is accurate is under more scrutiny than a watch or even the S+. I don't anticipate integration.
  3. Resmed has a pulse oximetry accessory. Have you ever priced it? The aftermarkets are a fraction of the cost.  Again, medical devices subject to FDA registration and prescribed for use have a higher standard for performance.  Finally, these devices are often paid for in part or whole by insurance. Is the feature "medically necessary"?  If not, it won't be covered.
  4. I think Resmed has the noise issues solved.  If you need more dampening, put your Vauto in a drawer like mine, with the tube and power routed out the back. I also cover the tube in a fleece cover.  Problem solved.  Resmed has industry leading sound levels, and additional acoustic damping may increase the size and weight of the unit. I anticipate this is in conflict with objective to be smaller and lighter.
  5. Resmed uses a 24 volt proprietary power connector that earns them an additional $80 when a battery adapter is purchased. I agree this system is inferior to an open source 12-volt direct connection like Philips uses. Power consumption is unlikely to change significantly, but a very easy "battery mode" button that turns off the heated tube and humidifier would be great, rather than having to go through settings.  Power consumption with tube and humidifier off is very low as-is, and the unit will run on a relatively small li-ion battery for 1-2 days depending on capacity.  This leaves room for their Air-Mini travel series.  I think for base units, they will likely continue with an external power adapter brick. This actually makes consumer replacement easier, and that part generates heat that would be bad integrated in the housing.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, this was a wishlist, not really a list of features I think they will actually make

(01-07-2021, 09:01 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
  1. The memory cards are becoming legacy, but not yet. They are portable, which means you can take it or send it to the doctor's office. They are relatively secure, they are cheap, they hold data and store it indefinitely. A secure connectivity option exists via cellular networks, however it may need updated as that technology changes. Bluetooth is used in travel devices and some brands of CPAP, and I could see that happening, except Resmed and Philips does not want the end-user to have access to detailed data. Even the SD card is not there to facilitate OSCAR, but for transport to the doctor. That is why you get the lame My-Air data. It could be much more detailed, but is intentionally not.
This is exactly the kind of differentiator that would cause some people to switch brands.  Resmed and Philips can only take this "I don't care about what the consumer wants" stance until someone else doesn't, and they will lose their duopoly if they don't open up.  The real problem is that most people don't really care very much about data.  However, this is my wishlist that you asked for and I do care about data.

(01-07-2021, 09:01 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
  1. 2. The machine has built-in sensors and features like auto-ramp use this. Any other device relying on input other than flow, would be a peripheral and add costs that not every one wants to pay for.  This is a medical device and the expectation that the data is accurate is under more scrutiny than a watch or even the S+. I don't anticipate integration.
I don't mind if these are optional add-ons, but this is my wishlist, and I crave data.

(01-07-2021, 09:01 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: 3. Resmed has a pulse oximetry accessory. Have you ever priced it? The aftermarkets are a fraction of the cost.  Again, medical devices subject to FDA registration and prescribed for use have a higher standard for performance.  Finally, these devices are often paid for in part or whole by insurance. Is the feature "medically necessary"?  If not, it won't be covered.
The point is not oximetry in particular.  The point is that many people have devices they have purchased (insurance not used or desired).  These devices are already a sunk cost for the consumer and are not involved with the purchase of the CPAP unit.  A relatively small App cost for the CPAP device manufacturer could make that data usable and add an attractive feature badge on their product. This adds a good selling point on their product with little cost and makes it more attractive for some consumers.  By the way, Resmed's S+ already has an Applewatch App. They already support it, so the cost of adding other functionality will be much lower.

(01-07-2021, 09:01 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: 4. I think Resmed has the noise issues solved.  If you need more dampening, put your Vauto in a drawer like mine, with the tube and power routed out the back. I also cover the tube in a fleece cover.  Problem solved.  Resmed has industry leading sound levels, and additional acoustic damping may increase the size and weight of the unit. I anticipate this is in conflict with objective to be smaller and lighter.
Sure.  This is a wishlist only.  It is pretty quiet, but it is far from silent.  Less noise would be better.  I definitely won't concede that "the noise issue is solved".  It's pretty good, but could be better.

(01-07-2021, 09:01 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: 5. Resmed uses a 24 volt proprietary power connector that earns them an additional $80 when a battery adapter is purchased. I agree this system is inferior to an open source 12-volt direct connection like Philips uses. Power consumption is unlikely to change significantly, but a very easy "battery mode" button that turns off the heated tube and humidifier would be great, rather than having to go through settings.  Power consumption with tube and humidifier off is very low as-is, and the unit will run on a relatively small li-ion battery for 1-2 days depending on capacity.  This leaves room for their Air-Mini travel series.  I think for base units, they will likely continue with an external power adapter brick. This actually makes consumer replacement easier, and that part generates heat that would be bad integrated in the housing.
Yes, all battery solutions are super expensive, and suck.  Also, if you have to use higher pressures, your battery life will be much less.  You can't carry the size of batteries you need on a plane and they will be very heavy to carry camping and such.  This is why I suggest the unit being lower on power consumption, as that would require less battery, so a smaller, cheaper battery would work.  I'm not asking for an internal battery or even one that they produce.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like my question was only a few months early.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...lease-Date

https://www.reddit.com/r/CPAP/comments/n...rsense_11/

Looks like it does support Bluetooth for a phone connection, perhaps similar to the S+.  Perhaps it will also work with an AppleWatch similar to the S+ as well fo oximeter goodness.  We'll see.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got mine a couple of weeks ago. I'll do my best to answer questions.

Here are photos of the A11 Clinical Menu: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NcTt6eKsmkhnQ3RK8

-Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
Of course, I could mention that these machines are in fact built to customer specs. I'd only be guessing, but the CPAP customer really doesn't want or expect much data accessibility, just enough for compliance so insurance keeps paying. The customer isn't you or me, these customers are what we call the DME.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jeff -- in your pictures it looks like you've got "SmartStart" AND "SmartStop" enabled. If you do, turn the latter (which I call MoronStop!) OFF.

Separating SmartStart from MoronStop is prominent on MY wish list, because I had the machine shut off during a long apnea when I was wearing a nasal mask. When the machine shut off I opened my mouth to breathe, and without the machine supplying pressure I don't produce enough flow through my nose for the machine to detect that I'm alive. So it was 2-1/2 hours later of no therapy before I woke up and closed my mouth and that finally restarted it.

Quote:Connectivity - It's nice that it doesn't need internet connectivity, but, most IoT devices these days will WiFi to store data in the Cloud.  That is super useful.  Who wants to find a dongle to attach a memory card?

KMoG, you are charmingly naive. An Air10 sends your data to the ResMed corporation. Then ResMed posts flat-out lies to your MyAir display, and presumably the same flat-out lies to your DME and/or doctor. The flat-out lies are obviously formed with the purpose of hiding the ResMed machine's failures to treat your apnea, with the side-effect that those lies also hide the fact that your apnea is not being effectively treated. Whether it's intentional that they hide your health information from you and from the health-care professionals charged with taking care of you, or it's something that they are completely indifferent to, well that's a decision that you can make for yourself. So far they seem to still be writing the truth out to your SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
If anyone does get a copy of the AirSense 11 Clinician (Provider) Setup Manual, please email it to me at apneaboard@gmail.com so we can make it available to our members.

Thanks. Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,721 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 365 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,287 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.