Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Are CPAP Oil Infusion Adapters safe for machine?
RE: Are CPAP Oil Infusion Adapters safe for machine?
(01-13-2017, 01:01 PM)ur0me Wrote: I think that allowing essential oils to enter the machines air INTAKE is very likely to reduce the lifetime of the machine substantially. I have no experience with CPAP machines and oils specifically, however, I've seen many other types of fans, valves, and electric motors hopelessly gummed up by oils and/or resins that are found in volatile oils. They can be very destructive in a short amount of time, and it doesn't always take a lot of oil to do it. So, I would avoid any air path that includes the air intake of the machine. If the oil is downstream of the hose, knock yourself out - that should be safe for the machine. However, be careful with essential oils. I developed a raging rash from lavender oil, and only found out after the fact that it's one of the botanical oils that people often develop allergies to.

Good luck.

Hi all, I'm still new to this so pardon my question if it's too trivial.

I've done some search online, and most of the essential oil infusion adapters are either located in front of the air intake, or located on the hose end.
Based on the above quote that compound found in certain oil can be bad for the CPAP machine when placed at intake, doesn't it makes it equally bad when placed at the hose? When it is connected at the hose and you breath out, isn't it forcing the essential oil coated air back into the machine too?

I had placed a cotton pad infused with essential oil at the intake port of my CPAP machine, but such concerns did crossed my head, hence I'm here to receive enlightenment Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine maintains pressure during exhale and most of the air is expelled through the mask vent.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Where is the intake at? The out is from the machine to the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gumming up the machine is 1 possible consequence; gumming up your lungs is another possible consequence.

If you have a lung condition already, I would not use essential oil in that direct of an intake. The last thing you'd want to do is to irritate the lung tissues. You only get 1 set of lungs. And lung transplants are expensive.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2017, 08:32 PM)twplunkett Wrote: Where is the intake at? The out is from the machine to the hose.

Left side, there's a door with vent holes and the intake filter is under it.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 214 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,443 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 345 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,250 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 253 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Are the Replacements Safe Keesh23 0 163 02-02-2024, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Keesh23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.