Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Are diagnosed pressure index based on faulty feedback
Question 
Are diagnosed pressure index based on faulty feedback
I'm concerned that my cpap machine in generating false readings. This has causing my doctor to increase my pressure number. Last night I laid awake for two hours with cpap therapy equipment on, since no sleep visited me, I decided to confirm my suspicion regarding the AHI and other feedback from the machine. The AHI reading was at a whopping 30, the periodic breathing at 10 %! These numbers couldn't possibly be correct, I hadn't fallen asleep yet and I was breathing just fine. I did have to fix my mask several times to keep from leaking air. Has anyone found a similar problem with theier equipment?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are diagnosed pressure index based on faulty feedback
The machine is incapable of distinguishing awake time from asleep time - and the number are only valid if you're truly asleep. Awake breathing is a disordered mess compared to asleep breathing and can easily fool the machine into misidentifying all sort of events.

Unless you're asleep, the numbers mean nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may not be your machine creating false readings. It may be you. When we are awake we do a lot of things that would be considered an apnea type event when we are asleep. The machine does not know when you are awake. It only knows that it has been activated so it will record what it finds. Another thing that muddies a picture like this is the fact that often when people are certain that they were totally awake for a period, in reality they were slipping in and out of a very light sleep and so we get what we call sleep/wake junk.

Don't be mad at your machine, it just does not know any better yet.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2016, 12:10 PM)cpdaniel Wrote: The machine is incapable of distinguishing awake time from asleep time - and the number are only valid if you're truly asleep. Awake breathing is a disordered mess compared to asleep breathing and can easily fool the machine into misidentifying all sort of events.

Unless you're asleep, the numbers mean nothing.

Thanks!

That is my fear that those numbers mean nothing! yet doctors is increasing the pressure setting based on those meaningless numbers! I think I'll toss the prescription in the waste basket and learn to adjust the pressure myself according to how I feel. But not sure its a good idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2016, 01:07 PM)Earthfuture Wrote: That is my fear that those numbers mean nothing! yet doctors is increasing the pressure setting based on those meaningless numbers! I think I'll toss the prescription in the waste basket and learn to adjust the pressure myself according to how I feel. But not sure its a good idea.

You'll find many on this board advocate that it Is in fact a good idea. Unless you have some really unusual breathing issues, you're likely just as well off, and frequently better off, by using an autoset CPAP and letting it figure out the pressure you need.

Do make sure you're using a fully data capable machine so that you can look at your data in SleepyHead. There are many long time PAP users on this and other forums who will help you get your treatment dialed in.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Earthfuture,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I encourage you to keep your prescription. If you ever buy CPAP supplies on line, the suppliers will need your prescription on file.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 350 4 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 56 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 236 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 384 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 291 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.