[Equipment] Auto CPAP took me on a wild ride but....
fortywinks Offline

New Members

Machine: Phillips RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P)
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: no
CPAP Pressure: 8.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Question Auto CPAP took me on a wild ride but....
Thanks to this board I discovered how to use the auto titration function on my RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P).... But the results were kind of puzzling. The CPAP mill set it up with a fixed 8.0 psi and I used that for about a year with an average AHI of 7.7.

Then I discovered this group, found out about the auto function, turned it on, and the machine did its titration thing..

Over the next couple of months the machine took me as high as 14 psi and my average AHI came way down to 3.69 but here's the mysterious part: The machine seems to have settled on 8.5 psi as the right dose and I'm still at a low AHI... The Sleepyhead readout says Min, Max, Average and 90% pressure are all at 8.5...which is just a little higher than where i started....

So what gives? Four months ago, 8 psi was not enough. Now at 8.5 I'm doing great. Did my body adjust? Or what?

Thanks!
12-03-2014 01:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: Auto CPAP took me on a wild ride but....
"The Sleepyhead readout says Min, Max, Average and 90% pressure are all at 8.5"

That does not sound like you're in auto mode.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-03-2014 01:34 PM
Lazer1234 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: TapPap
Humidifier: Yes
CPAP Pressure: 8,6 - 20 EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Win7-64 SP1 SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1 ResScan 5,3

(12-03-2014 01:31 PM)fortywinks Wrote:  Thanks to this board I discovered how to use the auto titration function on my RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P).... But the results were kind of puzzling. The CPAP mill set it up with a fixed 8.0 psi and I used that for about a year with an average AHI of 7.7.

Then I discovered this group, found out about the auto function, turned it on, and the machine did its titration thing..

Over the next couple of months the machine took me as high as 14 psi and my average AHI came way down to 3.69 but here's the mysterious part: The machine seems to have settled on 8.5 psi as the right dose and I'm still at a low AHI... The Sleepyhead readout says Min, Max, Average and 90% pressure are all at 8.5...which is just a little higher than where i started....

So what gives? Four months ago, 8 psi was not enough. Now at 8.5 I'm doing great. Did my body adjust? Or what?

Thanks!

I think your machine is on Auto-trial mode, 1 month on APAP and then CPAP fixed pressure. Get clinical settings and adjust to Auto-mode.
12-03-2014 04:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
fortywinks Offline

New Members

Other Comments:

Hmmm.... very interesting. I will investigate....But what would account for the improved AHI numbers at such a small change from the original setting after about three months?

Thanks

(12-03-2014 01:34 PM)justMongo Wrote:  "The Sleepyhead readout says Min, Max, Average and 90% pressure are all at 8.5"

That does not sound like you're in auto mode.
12-03-2014 04:15 PM
fortywinks Offline

New Members

Other Comments:

Sad I was worried that I wouldn't make my question quite clear. Let me see if I can ask in a different way: What I'm wanting to know is why such a small difference in pressure made such a big difference in my AHI score. Half a PSI doesn't seem like that much. Or is it the cumulative effect of all the different pressures I've gone through in the past couple of months?

Thanks

(12-03-2014 04:07 PM)Lazer1234 Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 01:31 PM)fortywinks Wrote:  Thanks to this board I discovered how to use the auto titration function on my RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P).... But the results were kind of puzzling. The CPAP mill set it up with a fixed 8.0 psi and I used that for about a year with an average AHI of 7.7.

Thanks!

I think your machine is on Auto-trial mode, 1 month on APAP and then CPAP fixed pressure. Get clinical settings and adjust to Auto-mode.
12-03-2014 04:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi fortywinks,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions. Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
12-03-2014 04:46 PM
Lazer1234 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: TapPap
Humidifier: Yes
CPAP Pressure: 8,6 - 20 EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Win7-64 SP1 SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1 ResScan 5,3

You must look at your data in SleepyHead. It could be that you need 8,5 to take away your obstructive apnea and not with 8,0.
12-03-2014 05:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

Good going on getting your AHI down. Could you please furnish the AHI breakdown of OA's, CA's, Hypopnea's, and anything else. This might help in providing you with a better answer.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
12-03-2014 05:44 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Unless your machine has some sort of "demo" mode or has AutoIQ, it doesn't settle on a pressure. That's not how autoPAP mode works.

The auto mode means it is automatically adjusting all the time, every night, all night. No two nights are the same anyway. The treatment range is set with a minimum and a maximum and the machine stays within that range. As you sleep, and as events happen, the machine adjusts.

If your machine is saying it has 8.5 for all 3 readings, then somehow it got turned back to regular CPAP mode.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-03-2014 07:43 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

Your machine is the same as mine. Get into clinical where you set it for auto or straight cpap. Set auto mode. Set your min pressure at 8 and your max at 14.

Enable Opti start in clinical settings. In 30 hours of use it will give you your best min pressure. youll have to go back into clinical and set your min to that pressure or Opti start will start at the pressure but if you have no events in about five minutes it will drop back down or up to its preset min pressure. So you have to lock in the opti start min pressure manually.

Once you have that watch your SH results. If you pressure is going up to 14 where its capped and not clearing events out then up it .5. If its running and showing a max of say for a couple weeks then set it at 13 to give a little wiggle room at the top.

.5cm of pressure can and does on a lot of people make a huge difference. My wife is one of them. Id never move her pressure more than .5 and wait at least a week to see what it did because ,5 with her can be the difference in AHI less than 1 with no gas problems or AHI of less than one and a worse gas problem.
12-03-2014 09:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Questions for anyone who has tried Transcend Mini Auto CPAP rdavis 3 238 11-04-2016 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Ordered a Auto CPAP / Was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea jakthebomb 15 780 10-18-2016 08:00 AM
Last Post: southerndoc
  Just Started Using an Auto CPAP this week for 1st time ApneaintheATL 4 423 10-14-2016 06:06 PM
Last Post: player
  airsense10 auto cpap(for him) VS DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500T11 w/HT humid rookiepom 5 839 10-09-2016 07:52 AM
Last Post: stephennic
  Auto-Trial –delivers CPAP therapy adjusting pressure 30days ICEMAN 8 1,212 09-24-2016 12:34 PM
Last Post: green wings
  Dreamstation cpap brick to auto cpap. kadaroten 5 398 09-23-2016 07:57 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Using nasal pillows with auto cpap? Lanco 11 805 09-07-2016 12:07 PM
Last Post: big_dave