Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Auto CPAP took me on a wild ride but....
Question 
Auto CPAP took me on a wild ride but....
Thanks to this board I discovered how to use the auto titration function on my RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P).... But the results were kind of puzzling. The CPAP mill set it up with a fixed 8.0 psi and I used that for about a year with an average AHI of 7.7.

Then I discovered this group, found out about the auto function, turned it on, and the machine did its titration thing..

Over the next couple of months the machine took me as high as 14 psi and my average AHI came way down to 3.69 but here's the mysterious part: The machine seems to have settled on 8.5 psi as the right dose and I'm still at a low AHI... The Sleepyhead readout says Min, Max, Average and 90% pressure are all at 8.5...which is just a little higher than where i started....

So what gives? Four months ago, 8 psi was not enough. Now at 8.5 I'm doing great. Did my body adjust? Or what?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto CPAP took me on a wild ride but....
"The Sleepyhead readout says Min, Max, Average and 90% pressure are all at 8.5"

That does not sound like you're in auto mode.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2014, 01:31 PM)fortywinks Wrote: Thanks to this board I discovered how to use the auto titration function on my RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P).... But the results were kind of puzzling. The CPAP mill set it up with a fixed 8.0 psi and I used that for about a year with an average AHI of 7.7.

Then I discovered this group, found out about the auto function, turned it on, and the machine did its titration thing..

Over the next couple of months the machine took me as high as 14 psi and my average AHI came way down to 3.69 but here's the mysterious part: The machine seems to have settled on 8.5 psi as the right dose and I'm still at a low AHI... The Sleepyhead readout says Min, Max, Average and 90% pressure are all at 8.5...which is just a little higher than where i started....

So what gives? Four months ago, 8 psi was not enough. Now at 8.5 I'm doing great. Did my body adjust? Or what?

Thanks!

I think your machine is on Auto-trial mode, 1 month on APAP and then CPAP fixed pressure. Get clinical settings and adjust to Auto-mode.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm.... very interesting. I will investigate....But what would account for the improved AHI numbers at such a small change from the original setting after about three months?

Thanks

(12-03-2014, 01:34 PM)justMongo Wrote: "The Sleepyhead readout says Min, Max, Average and 90% pressure are all at 8.5"

That does not sound like you're in auto mode.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sad I was worried that I wouldn't make my question quite clear. Let me see if I can ask in a different way: What I'm wanting to know is why such a small difference in pressure made such a big difference in my AHI score. Half a PSI doesn't seem like that much. Or is it the cumulative effect of all the different pressures I've gone through in the past couple of months?

Thanks

(12-03-2014, 04:07 PM)Lazer1234 Wrote:
(12-03-2014, 01:31 PM)fortywinks Wrote: Thanks to this board I discovered how to use the auto titration function on my RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P).... But the results were kind of puzzling. The CPAP mill set it up with a fixed 8.0 psi and I used that for about a year with an average AHI of 7.7.

Thanks!

I think your machine is on Auto-trial mode, 1 month on APAP and then CPAP fixed pressure. Get clinical settings and adjust to Auto-mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fortywinks,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions. Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You must look at your data in SleepyHead. It could be that you need 8,5 to take away your obstructive apnea and not with 8,0.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good going on getting your AHI down. Could you please furnish the AHI breakdown of OA's, CA's, Hypopnea's, and anything else. This might help in providing you with a better answer.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless your machine has some sort of "demo" mode or has AutoIQ, it doesn't settle on a pressure. That's not how autoPAP mode works.

The auto mode means it is automatically adjusting all the time, every night, all night. No two nights are the same anyway. The treatment range is set with a minimum and a maximum and the machine stays within that range. As you sleep, and as events happen, the machine adjusts.

If your machine is saying it has 8.5 for all 3 readings, then somehow it got turned back to regular CPAP mode.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine is the same as mine. Get into clinical where you set it for auto or straight cpap. Set auto mode. Set your min pressure at 8 and your max at 14.

Enable Opti start in clinical settings. In 30 hours of use it will give you your best min pressure. youll have to go back into clinical and set your min to that pressure or Opti start will start at the pressure but if you have no events in about five minutes it will drop back down or up to its preset min pressure. So you have to lock in the opti start min pressure manually.

Once you have that watch your SH results. If you pressure is going up to 14 where its capped and not clearing events out then up it .5. If its running and showing a max of say for a couple weeks then set it at 13 to give a little wiggle room at the top.

.5cm of pressure can and does on a lot of people make a huge difference. My wife is one of them. Id never move her pressure more than .5 and wait at least a week to see what it did because ,5 with her can be the difference in AHI less than 1 with no gas problems or AHI of less than one and a worse gas problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 218 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 432 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 625 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 623 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  CPAP DreamStation CPAP Pro con Auto-Trial AirSense 10 AutoSet cybor 0 614 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: cybor
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,072 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  Auto-adjusting CPAP as replacement in Philips Recall Speusippus 1 631 08-14-2023, 05:16 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.