Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] AutoCPAP w/o insurance - How to let doc have remote access?
RE: AutoCPAP w/o insurance - How to let doc have remote access?
I'm curious: Does the Dreamstation 802.11 module send only the compliance data, or does it include everything from the SD card? If the latter, that would really be one for Resmed to match in its next generation of machines.

I doubt that either Resmed or Philips is quite used to the idea that there are a lot of patients Out There who are using Sleepyhead to monitor their own therapy from the full data. The companies seem to have been stuck, so far, in the old "doctor, DME, patient" model of division of labor. (If only that worked well. IRL, it seems to be pretty much broken.) So even with the 802.11 module, it's all one-way, isn't it?

Anyroad, that will determine whether your doc can run Sleepyhead on your transmitted data, or whether all that he/she can get from there are AHIs and leak rates and so on, same as Dreammapper.
"I wanted to be a Boy Scout, but I had all the wrong qualities.  They were looking for kids who were trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.  Whereas I tended to be devious, fickle, obstructive, hostile, rude, mean, defiant, glum, extravagant, cowardly, dirty, and sacrilegious."  (George Carlin)
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
OK, maybe this is getting just a little bit silly (technological overkill), but if you already run a web or FTP server or sshd for any reason, accessible from beyond your LAN, then instead of pushing the contents of the SD card via e-mail attachments, you could let your doctor or nurse pull the data at any time without your intervention. Just put a Flash Air SD card in the CPAP machine, have a script (called by cron) periodically sync a local directory from the card, and give the doc or nurse a login with access to only that directory.

Or, of course (and much more secure), push it to cloud storage every 24 hours and let 'em pick it up from there.

But, also of course, that's what you bought the extra Philips module for to begin with. It just turns out to be unnecessary if you use Flash Air instead, with some custom scripting.
"I wanted to be a Boy Scout, but I had all the wrong qualities.  They were looking for kids who were trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.  Whereas I tended to be devious, fickle, obstructive, hostile, rude, mean, defiant, glum, extravagant, cowardly, dirty, and sacrilegious."  (George Carlin)
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2019, 04:47 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: I'm curious: Does the Dreamstation 802.11 module send only the compliance data, or does it include everything from the SD card? If the latter, that would really be one for Resmed to match in its next generation of machines.

I doubt that either Resmed or Philips is quite used to the idea that there are a lot of patients Out There who are using Sleepyhead to monitor their own therapy from the full data. The companies seem to have been stuck, so far, in the old "doctor, DME, patient" model of division of labor. (If only that worked well. IRL, it seems to be pretty much broken.) So even with the 802.11 module, it's all one-way, isn't it?

Anyroad, that will determine whether your doc can run Sleepyhead on your transmitted data, or whether all that he/she can get from there are AHIs and leak rates and so on, same as Dreammapper.

I don't actually know what gets transmitted -- yet. I have to presume that less data gets transmitted than is available on the SD card. The Hopkins folks asked me to always bring my SD card when I come in for a follow-up appointment. That would seem to indicate that the data sets might be disparate.

The fact that the Hopkins docs also mentioned SleepyHead was reassuring to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2019, 05:51 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: OK, maybe this is getting just a little bit silly (technological overkill), but if you already run a web or FTP server or sshd for any reason, accessible from beyond your LAN, then instead of pushing the contents of the SD card via e-mail attachments, you could let your doctor or nurse pull the data at any time without your intervention.  Just put a Flash Air SD card in the CPAP machine, have a script (called by cron) periodically sync a local directory from the card, and give the doc or nurse a login with access to only that directory.

Or, of course (and much more secure), push it to cloud storage every 24 hours and let 'em pick it up from there.

But, also of course, that's what you bought the extra Philips module for to begin with.  It just turns out to be unnecessary if you use Flash Air instead, with some custom scripting.

At Hopkins they have an official system to allow patients to view their records and upload outside scans, lab reports, and so on. The official stance is that a patient is to use that, rather than regular e-mail. And doctors are asked to avoid using their personal e-mail accounts for transfer of patient data. Interestingly, the only docs I've known there that break that rule use encryption and won't accept non-encrypted e-mail with patient data in it. Kind of impressive considering what I've seen at other medical institutions.

Insofar as this particular issue is concerned, I've always found that the fewer vendors are involved in something like this, the better. I don't want to give the vendor of my AutoCPAP an excuse for any kind of failure. If it's all their system, then they can't point at me and say, "The code monkey botched it!"

Big Grin 

As long as I've got the thing on an isolated network segment and behind a firewall, I'm content.

Will be off the air, probably until tomorrow some time.

Again, Fats, thank you so very much for your help. You and dmeRT have made today simpler for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did in-home sleep study, seeking referral to remote sleep medicine doc (telemedicine) NightOwl42 3 145 01-16-2019, 04:24 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  Do Insurance Companies Use OSA to Jack Up Rates? PerChancetoDream 2 158 01-07-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: grubstake
  Do I need autoCPAP refurbished 5 236 11-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Last Post: refurbished
  Help with insurance justification for portable CPAP zippinbye 10 394 11-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Stom
  Medicare or insurance? p1800nut 14 508 11-13-2018, 09:37 AM
Last Post: dmeRT
  Fighting with Insurance Company theMezz 5 371 09-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Last Post: bonjour
Question Weird ? About Insurance/DME Supplies Hydrangea 8 552 08-07-2018, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.