Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] BIPAP suggestions needed
BIPAP suggestions needed
I used a plain Respironics APAP for several years until it died, then went to a Resmed S9 APAP (from Supplier #2) until it also died. By that time I had good insurance, which supplied me with a Dreamstation APAP, but I returned it for a Dreamstation BIPAP. The reason I went for the BIPAP was solely because I need higher pressures than the usual APAPs can provide. I have the Dreamstation set to 15-25 and it hovers about 17 most of the night, but pops up to 23 or so occasionally. I have no other sleep issues that require the BIPAP - I have just plain ordinary garden variety sleep apnea; only it's really severe. With my settings my AHI averages around 2, and approaches 5 maybe once every three or four months. 

I would like to buy a second machine because I sleep in two different locations and moving the machine is a pain in the neck. The insurance won't pay for it, so I'm shopping mostly for the lowest price. I don't care much about the brand, and I have all the extras - masks, hoses, etc. One consideration is that it must be compatible with OSCAR, and via SD card would make it easier for me to figure out. And, of course, I hope there's a manual here so I can set it up the way I want it. Also I haven't used a humidifier for years, so that is unnecessary.

Suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BIPAP suggestions needed
I'd take a look at the ResMed VAuto. If you don't want/need humidifier, there's a bypass block you can put in place of the humidifier tub.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #2 Resmed air curve Vauto. I purchased a “used” there with less than 1 month run time. $800. It is a great machine
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2020, 08:05 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Supplier #2 Resmed air curve Vauto.  I purchased  a “used” there with less than 1 month run time. $800. It is a great machine

+1
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me add something.  If you get a resmed AirCurve 10s Vauto it will be your main machine and I'm willing to bet you will get better results with it.  I had a dreamstation like yours and the people here helped me optimize it.  The last 2 nights I had 22 and 17 events with the new ResMed the first 2 nights I had 3 each night.  I know no one can guarantee you will get better results BUT I would bet on it....
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
After 5 1/2 years, I switched from a Respironics 60 series APAP to a ResMed VAuto.  With the ResMed, My AHI numbers are lower, but the real difference was in my comfort level.  I sleep more sound, with less Flow Limitations and Hypopneas.  Unless you are looking for a reason to keep the second machine the same brand, I would go with a ResMed.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. Supplier #2 has the "ResMed S10 AirCurve VPAP S and Accessories" listed at an excellent price. But Resmed's own site lists three machines: AirCurve 10 S, AirCurve 10 VAuto, and AirCurve 10 ASV, with zero information about what the differences are, so I don't know exactly what Supplier #2 is offering. It doesn't help that web sites munge around the terms in the model name and sometimes leave parts out. Still, it's hard to beat Supplier #2's price.

I should have mentioned that I use absolutely none of the 'comfort' settings on my Dreamstation, and I've never used them on any of my previous machines. When I get into bed I put on the mask and push the on button, and I immediately get the full 15cm - no ramps, no auto-on, nothing for comfort or convenience. Some like these features, and prefer one brand or another's implementation of them, but regardless of what machine I end up with, the first thing I will do is turn them all off.

Also, considering that my AHIs average about 2.0 with my Dreamstation at 15-25cm, I'm not looking for a machine with a better software algorithm to produce better therapy. And finally, I am brand-neutral; I bought the Dreamstation mostly because my local health maintenance organization (Kaiser Permanente) offered it to me for a $300 co-pay, where I would have had to pay full price for anything else.

Guessing that I'm probably going to buy from Supplier #2 anyway, tomorrow (Monday) I'm going to communicate with them the old fashioned way - I'm going to call them on the telephone. Hopefully that way I can figure out what to get. Plus I can ask them for prices without humidifier, hoses, and other accessories, because all the prices on their web site include these things, and I don't need them.

Thanks again for all the responses!
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidifier is built into the ResMed 10S, in fact you have to buy a door to block off the airflow.  The air just goes through the humidifier and no water has to be in it so no humidification.  As far as a tube you won't knock off more than $10...
Post Reply Post Reply
The VPAP S is a fixed pressure like your BiPAP Pro, the Vauto has auto-adjusting pressure like your current BiPAP. You probably know what you need and won't have a problem saving a few bucks, but the Vauto is the best choice. All Aircurve 10 bilevels use a feature called Easybreathe to deliver the bilevel air pressure more comfortably. With Easybreathe, the air pressure changes look like ocean waves, and are amazingly comfortable, however you can also turn it off. I know well the difference between the two machines, because I have used both and never went back to the Philips after the first use on the Resmed. I actually gave that machine to Supersleeper last year. It worked great and my comfort and results were excellent until I was spoiled by the Resmed. Whatever your choice, I'm sure you will do well because you clearly don't sweat the details and the machine is a tool to sleep properly. That sounds a lot like me. So if I sometimes come off as a fan-boy for a particular machine, it's only because I know it's going to deliver for you too.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The VAuto is a variable pressure unit with a static pressure support (PS) setting. The S model is a static pressure on both pressure and PS. The ASV is an Auto Servo Ventilator that has both variable pressure and PS. The ASV is the most expensive and the "top-of-the-line".
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for suggestions chzuck 31 531 04-13-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: chzuck
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 140 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 173 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 161 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 355 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 174 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,641 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.