Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] BIPAP suggestions needed
RE: BIPAP suggestions needed
Let me just add that you won't need the ASV, but either the S or VAuto will do well. As Crimson Nape mentioned the S is static pressure while VAuto varies between the settings.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would spend the extra an get the Resmed VAuto it will do everything the Fixed pressure BiLevel will do and also do variable pressure
Post Reply Post Reply
I love the people at Supplier #2. Smile They answered all my questions, including giving me additional useful information, like which machines last the longest and how to make your machine last longer. For example, if you have a Dreamstation and you use the special HVAC filter be sure to replace it monthly, else it will create stress on the motor leading to failure. (As soon as I finish writing this I'm going to replace the filter in my Dreamstation, because I'm one of the people who ignore such things.)

After much discussion I ended up buying a used Resmed S9 VPAP Auto without humidifier for a little over $600. The salesperson opined that the S9 machines were more reliable than the Aircurves. And, after discussing my concern about odors when buying a used machine, he added that when they receive a machine they check it for odors, and if there are any they just throw it away because of the difficulty of getting rid of them - it can require hydrogen peroxide gas, which requires special equipment and licensing. And even that doesn't do the job well if the previous owner used candles, because candles coat the air passages of the machine with soot. He echoed my sentiment about perfumes (they ought to be illegal), and promised to check my machine himself before shipping it.

So now I sit and wait for it to arrive. Many, many thanks to all who offered suggestions and advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on the new machine!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
S9 is a great machine and other than form factor, little has changed with the 10 in terms of therapy. The biggest disadvantage to the S9 in my opinion is the large detachable H5i humidifier which makes it less portable, but you have that under control. When using OSCAR you must lock the SD card before inserting it into the computer, and unlock when putting it back in the S9. The S9 will format a card with hidden index files from the computer. Other than that, the S9 is a machine many prefer and has no real disadvantages. Good buy! Like others, you have found Supplier #2 to have superior customer service and knowledge of their products.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2020, 05:11 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: When using OSCAR you must lock the SD card before inserting it into the computer, and unlock when putting it back in the S9.  The S9 will format a card with hidden index files from the computer. 

I would submit that the SD card problem in the S9 is probably due to the operating system (Windows), not the S9 or in the computer itself. I used an S9 APAP for several years (before going to a BIPAP) without ever experiencing the formatting issue, but all of my computers run on a Linux kernel. Of course, back then I used SleepyHead - OSCAR didn't exist yet, although I remember reading from others about having to lock the card. I never needed to lock it, all I ever did was stick the SD card in the computer, gather data, unmount it, pull it out, and put it back in the S9. Having said that, my S9 would reformat the card if I manually made changes to the card while it was in a computer - add a file, rename a folder - or something like that. And that's what Windows probably does, even if the user doesn't want it to.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I recall users with Linux operating systems won't have a problem. Just thought I'd put it out there.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a Windows platform only problem. Windows would place a volume information file on each drive to speed up the indexing of its contents. The S9 did not like have additional files on the SD card. You can turn off that option in Windows if you wish. Resmed learned from their mistake and allowed for this on the A10 series.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Giving up Evora, need suggestions PaulaO2 10 159 21 minutes ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Looking for suggestions chzuck 31 553 04-13-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: chzuck
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 157 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 184 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 173 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 368 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 186 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.