Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Backup machine
Backup machine
I'm currently using a Resmed Aircurve 10 ST (bi-level) for treatment of central apnea.  I'm interested in picking up a used Resmed S9 to use as a backup and for camping.  What model is best suited for treatment of central apnea?

Does this machine take a DC input?  What voltage?

I'm interested in it because it appears to be somewhat more compact (with humidifier removed) and lighter than the Aircuve 10ST I have.  Just not sure about the power usage and option of DC input voltage.

Considerations are low weight, treatment of central apnea, low power consumption, available used or low cost...

Any other suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Backup machine
The S9 series uses a 3-pin plug for its 24v power.  Amazon has DC to DC power supplies for the S9, that are much cheaper in cost as opposed to a Resmed model.

I see that you are using an AC10-ST.  The regular S9 is a BIG drop in treatment.  I suggest that if you are going to get an S9, that you look for the S9 VPAP-ST.  This will allow you to compare apples to apples. However, from your description of having CAs, an ASV model would seem to be the machine of choice. It is designed for CA therapy.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The heck with a backup, get the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV from Supplier #2 for $1699. I know it's expensive, but so much better than the ST for central apnea. You will make the ST the backup. The machines run on 24 Volts DC power and will last several days on battery power using a Resmed DC converter with the humidifier and heated tube off. You will find the Aircurve 10 ASV lighter and easier to carry and to operate off of DC power.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SR beat me too it, get an ASV for your primary and use the ST as the backup
Post Reply Post Reply
I like the idea of moving towards ASV.  I just started in August so I still have a little ways to go with insurance for the original machine then I'll shop for a used Aircurve ASV.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepy, in the meanwhile, how about posting a Daily Details graph from your current ST therapy. It would be interesting to see how it is working out for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for asking.  Things are going well.  I'm down from a sleep study rate of 42-100+ AHI, all CSA.  My therapist is extremely satisfied.  I'm encouraged but wondering if it can improve.  Most nights I wake up and take off my mask for an hour or so or until my wife lets me know I'm snoring. There are a few nights when I can make it through.  I have had no problem at all falling asleep and I do feel much better than before starting therapy.  I have mental clarity, no morning headaches!!!, and a huge improvement in my general mood.  I am still tired and would like to nap over my lunch break Rolleyes 

You can see my AHI trend since starting on 11October2022.  It has improved and so have my hours of sleep each night.  In an attempt to improve my numbers even more I have returned to my original pressure of 8-12.  My therapist reduced my pressure to 7-11 because of aerophagia early on but the higher pressure doesn't cause me problems like it did when starting therapy.  I have also increased the trigger response from Med to High to Very High over several weeks.  Neither of these seemed to make any dramatic improvements.

I included a screenshot of one of the clusters to show some detail about what's going on.  This is typical for me.

Here are the settings apart from pressure:

Resp Rate  10
Ti Max  2.0s
Ti Min  0.3s
Rise time  300ms
Trigger  Very High
Cycle  Low

Any thoughts or recommended tweaks?

Regards,
Sleepy Weasel

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 200 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,170 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Equipment] Portable Backup Power for Outages Craige 4 569 10-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Craige
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 323 88,212 10-16-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  UPS Battery Backup for CPAP in case of power outage puterwiz82 3 1,680 09-04-2023, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Br1sleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.