Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Bad Arthritis, Dreamstation replacement alternative?
Bad Arthritis, Dreamstation replacement alternative?
Not sure the best place to post this as it's kind of complicated.
I received a Dreamstation 2 as replacement for my recalled Dreamstation 1
Didn't even try to use it. I have severe arthritis and having surgery on my thumb in a couple of weeks, the way that it works there is no way I could use itSad
Contacted Philips and they sent me a refurbished machine. No humidifier was included, I would have to pay out of pocket to get a new one if even available.
Questions about what to do with the machine below.
I have an appointment with my sleep doc next week, my DME says I will likely be able to get a new machine rather than deal with Philps.
I liked the Dreamstation but haven't tried anything else.
Looking for a recommendation for a new cpap machine that is easy to handle, only very gentle force to assemble, use and attach mask, humidifier and tank. 
He recommended a Resmed 10? Is that the best one?
I would like to be able to use computer software to connect to the new machine, it's been a while but I have used sleepyhead in the past.
I would like a machine that is easy to use but gives me a lot of adjustment options (I'm a techie) and will try different things until I find the right settings.
Lastly, now I have my old machine to return, the refurbished Dreamstation and the Dreamstation 2 to return as well.
think there would be no problem keeping the Dreamstation 2 and perhaps reselling it, it did not come with a memory card, not sure if someone else could use it?
So that's my storySmile
Ideas and recommendations welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bad Arthritis, Dreamstation replacement alternative?
Meant to also say that I will continue to use the Dreamwear mask. Love it, it is the only mask I will ever useSmile
Post Reply Post Reply
It's always good to hang on to a machine in case you need a backup.

You can also list your machine on places like MarketPlace, Craig's List, etc......
just not here on Apnea Board as that is against our rules. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the Dreamstation 1 for about a year.  It was fine, but due to the recall, I bought a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset.  It is so much better and more comfortable!!  I love it!  I kept the replacement machine as a backup.  I would suggest that you do the same.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Download the free OSCAR software. It's my understanding it replaced sleepyhead and is very good.

Resmed Airsense 10 or 11 AUTOSET machines both seem to be well received, are compatible with OSCAR, and have many adjustable settings.
I don't know how difficult they are in terms of your arthritis. 
My DME walked me through a whole hands-on tutorial of the machine, which would allow you to see limitations related to your arthritis, but I know not every DME does that. Maybe you could ask before taking the machine home?

You can purchase an SD card for the DS2. (Doesn't have to be a Philips SD) I agree with keeping it as a backup.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any DME worth dealing with should allow you to test drive humidifier access in the store, especially if you mention your arthric hands.
My experience with the AAS10 is that it may take a good squeeze to remove the tank and to open or close it.
I haven't heard reports on the AS11 ease of use.

Definitely worth an in-store test.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
i have an Airsense 10 and the humidifier is a bear to release--you have to squeeze with a thumb on top and other fingers below--the distance isn't large even for my small hands. If you have one thumb that works you might be OK. I have a fused left thumb (3 surgeries on that one) and my right thumb is only about half functional but not too painful--no surgery yet. I'm able to get the the humidifier on and off with either hand, but my dominant right hand works better. If a squeezing motion hurts it might be difficult. I use pass over humidification (heated hose off and no heat from humidifier) most of the year so only fill humidifier once a week when I clean it and can manage. Do you have someone in your household that can do it for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
How about humidifying the room air with an automatic humidifier, instead of having to pull the humidifier chamber off an on all the time ?

For the DS2, I can see some difficulty with pushing the release and pulling the tank body out and then fiddling with the lid.
If I recall on the AS-10, the tank just pulls out with a friction fit. How about using superglue to attach an ergonomic handle or strap to the end of the tank body ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Chrysos  The ResMed AirSense 11 has one big on/off button on top  and a touch screen for access to all the information and functions.  You can get some results from the phone app but cannot control anything with it.  

I find the tank a bit finicky.  It doesn't take great hand strength but finding the right angles to get it in and out of the machine and to open it.  It would be well worth testing that out and also insertion of the hose into the machine.  

I've heard that the ResMed AirMini is controlled via app.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! This is just the information I was looking forSmile I will be sure to have my DME let me play with one before I chooseSmile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DreamStation Go Recall [consolidated replacement & compensation info & questions] PHXSleeper 132 20,322 5 hours ago
Last Post: Olym19841988
  Novel alternative to tape? HalfAsleep 4 221 6 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help with adjustments post open heart valve replacement SistineKid 2 91 04-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SistineKid
  Aircurve 10 or 11 replacement Shamus54 8 251 04-11-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 537 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,950 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 33 10,491 03-29-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.