Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Battery Pack for travel
Battery Pack for travel
Can someone recommend a battery pack for the DeVilbiss Intellipap machine? This is for international travel and a jaunt up the Amazon.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Battery Pack for travel
Hi Lydia,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question.
Best of luck and enjoy your jaunt.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2013, 09:10 PM)Lydia Wrote: Can someone recommend a battery pack for the DeVilbiss Intellipap machine?
Supplier #1 sell "battery kit for IntelliPAP machines"
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Post Reply Post Reply
For the jaunt up the Amazon you'll want something light weight? Will you have a way to recharge the battery?

You see, it's all a trade off. A deep cycle lead acid battery will give you the most juice, but it's heavy and bulky. A lithium ion battery will be lighter and more compact but won't give you as much charge so it won't last as long between charges.

Carrying a solar charger will give you a way to recharge your battery.

Turning the heated humidifier off will dramatically reduce the drain on your battery.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
How long a trip and what are the recharge options? Access to a generator during the day? Solar panels? Occasional access to grid power?

Small and light (Lithium) generally = short run time and high cost.

Bigger and heavier (SLA, gel, wet cell deep cycle) generally = longer run time and cheaper cost.

I am trying to size a battery for the IntelliPap that will yield two nights power with an acceptable safety margin. In doing so, I am trying to find concrete power consumption numbers for the IntelliPAP, but nothing with a high degree of certainty that the ResMed folks provide. I did find a whitepaper from an inverter company saying DeVilbiss had engaged them to help spec inverters. It describes a couple of power consumption profiles for the IntelliPap. I will send a link via PM.

Right now, I'm thinking something between 35 and 45 AH capacity, figuring in that 50% safety fudge factor (I am told that I can expect the batteries to really start dropping capacity as they approach the 20 hour mark and that over time on the bench will drop capacity, even with good maintenance.)

I will send a link to the inverter whitepaper via PM. Good luck and let us know if you get more and better data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is some more info... I'm told that for most of the trip electricity will be available, but for a 3-day period it won't be. If I had a power source for 2 of those 3 days I'd be delighted. My average pressure is 6.5. I'm looking for something light-weight. I found one battery at [link removed] for a DeVilbiss-IntelliPap w/ adapter:

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2013, 09:20 AM)Lydia Wrote: Here is some more info... I'm told that for most of the trip electricity will be available, but for a 3-day period it won't be. If I had a power source for 2 of those 3 days I'd be delighted. My average pressure is 6.5. I'm looking for something light-weight. I found one battery at [link removed] for a DeVilbiss-IntelliPap w/ adapter:

I got a source from DeVillbiss this morning that would show DC current amps drawn at 0.601 at 7 cm for the DV5x series ~ and showing a battery of 8AH capacity for one night, 16 AH for two nights, including a 50% safety margin.

lightest weight battery I could find would be around 1.27 pounds - Lithium IRON (not ion) for about $160 for a 24 AH which I imagine would give three days power. If interested, PM me for a link. Would still require a connection harness and charger.

OMyMyOHellYes
Post Reply Post Reply
TO: OMyMyOHellYes

You suggested replying to you via PM... however, I get a message that you have disabled PM and it won't send my response. Yes, I'm interested in the battery you found, and have some links to send to you...

Lydia

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2013, 06:40 PM)Lydia Wrote: TO: OMyMyOHellYes

You suggested replying to you via PM... however, I get a message that you have disabled PM and it won't send my response. Yes, I'm interested in the battery you found, and have some links to send to you...

Lydia

PM sent to you - I fixed my settings so you should be able to PM me back.

OMyMyOHellYes
Post Reply Post Reply
The lithium iron phosphate batteries are freakishly light. I bought one for my motorcycle. 28 amp hours at 3.5lbs. Simply amazing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 79 Yesterday, 08:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,674 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,820 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 670 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,721 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,286 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.