Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Battery Pack for travel
RE: Battery Pack for travel
(06-08-2013, 11:01 PM)Labrat0116 Wrote: Is 35-45 AH for any PAP machine for (3) days run time ?

Would a Marine deep cycle battery and a 400 Watt Inverter do the job ?

I can't answer your question about run time. It depends on a lot of factors, the biggest one being the heated humidifier and hose.

But since you have a Respironics machine you don't need the inverter. Respironics machines run native on 12 volts DC, which is exactly what a lead acid battery delivers.

The only way to increase run time beyond that is having extra batteries or a solar charger. I plan to have two car batteries for extended outages so I can switch them back and forth between the car and the CPAP machine. Just make sure I have a full tank of gas in the car and I should be good for a couple weeks or so.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2013, 12:28 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-08-2013, 11:01 PM)Labrat0116 Wrote: Is 35-45 AH for any PAP machine for (3) days run time ?

Would a Marine deep cycle battery and a 400 Watt Inverter do the job ?

I can't answer your question about run time. It depends on a lot of factors, the biggest one being the heated humidifier and hose.

In an emergency, I would ditch the use of heated humidification.

As it stands, I expect I can get around 5-6 nights out of a 35-39AH SLA battery using the ResMed S9 w/ DC converter and NO heated humidifier (~0.5 amp draw (0.46-0.55*) @ 9 cm (my average) assuming a 50% battery reserve for variable factors not necessarily known (age, cycles/wear, actual charge level when placed in service)).

If I used the H5i humidifier at "3" that ~6 night power source shrinks to a little over an expected one and a half nights (~1.8 amp draw (1.62-2.03*)). At a setting of "6" (~4.9 amp draw(4.84-4.99*) then I expect that ~6 night power source shrinks to less than FIVE HOURS.

If I went full bore H5i + ClimateLine tubing at 30 deg C (~5.3 amp draw (5.08-5.58*), then I expect to get FOUR HOURS.

YMMV. Note that use of an inverter will also significantly eat into your power and shorten run time. Get a DC power cord as Sleepster suggested to maximize your energy efficiency running off batteries.

OMyMyOHellYes

*Power draw source: estimated based on ResMed Technical Services Battery Guide (2011-10), p. 19
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using a owl-12-266 lithium battery for backpacking and traveling. It weighs about 5 pounds. I've used it for up to 4-5 nights on a single charge, no humidifier, at high elevation and elsewhere. My pressure is 9.0. I also use it to charge my phone, power my laptop with a inverter, etc. It gives me flexibility to use my cpap and let me and my wife sleep well in the wilderness, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2013, 05:52 PM)jscholz Wrote: I've been using a owl-12-266 lithium battery for backpacking and traveling. It weighs about 5 pounds. I've used it for up to 4-5 nights on a single charge, no humidifier, at high elevation and elsewhere. My pressure is 9.0. I also use it to charge my phone, power my laptop with a inverter, etc. It gives me flexibility to use my cpap and let me and my wife sleep well in the wilderness, etc.

That sounds like a good deal. Where did you get it and how much did it cost?
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a little late to this party, but my last machine and my present machine run on 120-12V adapters . My auto M adapter is rated 0.415 Amps at 12V DC.

I have run it and my previous machine on 12V directly from the battery.

Any 12V to 120V inverter will use extra power, a waste when it doesn't need to be converted.

I use an 85AH deep discharge Marine Battery (Largest I could find) lead acid battery. Next time around I will use an Optima SLA battery. The Blue Top Optima is a deep discharge battery, completely sealed. I have a yellow top optima in my truck, and it has performed very nicely. No vented fumes either. My terminals are as clean as the day I installed it 2 years ago.

I am active in Boy scouting, and use the battery (heavy to lug around) on camping trips.

For home use, a sealed lead acid battery is clean and weight is not an issue. For home power loss backup, it works fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2013, 07:02 PM)Chumley Wrote: For home use, a sealed lead acid battery is clean and weight is not an issue. For home power loss backup, it works fine.

Welcome to the forum, Chum. Do you keep your home battery connected to your CPAP continuously? The reason I ask is that I have one of those computer type UPS so that when the grid goes down during the night I can just sleep through it. I'd like to be able to do the same with a larger lead-acid battery and connect it directly to my CPAP machine, but I don't know how I'd be able to keep it charged all the time.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Chumley,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2013, 08:45 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I'd like to be able to do the same with a larger lead-acid battery and connect it directly to my CPAP machine, but I don't know how I'd be able to keep it charged all the time.
Use a small battery trickle charge like the one below.

[Image: gas-scooter-parts-12-volt-2-0-amp-batter...rger-3.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2013, 10:37 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: YMMV. Note that use of an inverter will also significantly eat into your power and shorten run time. Get a DC power cord as Sleepster suggested to maximize your energy efficiency running off batteries.

The only reason I use the inverter is because I've been known to be stupid and hook up the cables backwards.

If you hook up the inverter backwards, you either destroy the inverter (the cheap model) or a light comes on and says "you're stupid" (the next model up).

If you hook up your machine backwards, it's gone.

Terry

Post Reply Post Reply
For the campers, pick up a folding 25w solar panel - they will put about an amp per hour of good sun back in your battery. I use 2 50w panels on my boat and I get about 4-5 amps/hr charge in direct sun. That's enough to offset the draw from my fridg, my radio use and top off the 8 amps or so my boat-pap uses per night. After a weekend of unscrupulous power usage I end up down only about 20ah of my 300ah capacity. I LOVE solar.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 101 3 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,678 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,822 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 674 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,732 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,286 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.