Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Battery backup
I know, I know. "ANOTHER battery thread?!? Seriously?"

Yes. Because I have to get serious about it. For some reason, we keep losing power. And each time it has been late at night when I am ready for bed. I can't go to bed so I am stuck awake until it comes back on. Duke Energy is insane. Their tree trimming policy changed a few years ago and now we are the ones paying for it.

The problem I have had with deciding on a battery system has always been my high pressure needs. My 95% is between 18 and 20. It has been dropping down lately but not consistently enough. According to the charts, this drops the time available down significantly. I'm not gonna fork over a chunk of change only to get a few hours of sleep.

A. Not willing to change settings for every power outage
B. Not keen on switching to the Escape for every outage, either.
C. Fine with "homebrewing" a setup

1. There's the Lithium battery SecondWind (Supplier #2) and others are carrying. But it doesn't get hooked up until the power goes out, right? And my Resmed would need the additional cord, I know.

2. Is there an already existing system that works similar to a computer's UPS system? Kicks in when the power goes out? Or does this type have to be built?

3. I also see a flat, black battery set up called the N/C 2000 but the Resmeds need an inverter (I wonder if the cord I see for the other systems would work?). It allegedly lasts a very long time. Anyone heard or use this one?

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-25-2015 02:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Sex: Male

RE: Battery backup
UPS, like the kind computers use, are designed for short term power outages. Enough time for you to save documents and power down. If you run those batteries down they get damaged (shortened life span). Enough times discharged they overheat and swell to the point they are difficult to remove from the UPS. Some of those batteries are expensive. I have 4 large UPS that need battery replacements. 2 have 2 batteries and 2 have 4. Each battery is $50-ish. Hence why I have a collection of UPS with dead batteries. :\

1. I would say Yes you need to connect those after the fact.
2. Pre-made transfer switches are expensive. APC has one for around 800 for example. If you're handy with the soldering iron there are circuits you can build to do this.
3. can't answer. For your pressure, you're looking into setting up a couple batteries in parallel to extend runtime (higher amps, same voltage).

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
07-25-2015 02:51 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask

I used to have an old battery backup system (the U1 battery was long dead) I used just for the switching unit. I used it for a fan I think. It kept running if the power went out. I had it hooked to an old wheelchair battery that would run it for about six hours or so.

So it looks like I need to get two or more batteries and hook them in parallel. I can do that. Just need to get it from that set up to the plug for the Autoset. Wonder how much the inverter would cause me to lose in that situation?

And yes, I understand about the computer backup being useless for CPAPs. One of these nights I'm gonna experiment with mine just to see how long it lasts.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-25-2015 03:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

The Goal Zero Yeti 400 looks interesting. Pricey though. But I like that it works like a mini-generator (without the fumes and noise) so I can use it out in the shed.

Specs:
Cell Type: AGM Lead-Acid
Peak Capacity: 396Wh (12V, 33Ah)

USB port (output): 5V, up to 2.1A (10W max), regulated
6mm port (output, 6mm, green, hexagon): 12V, up to 10A (120W max)
12V car port (output): 12V, up to 10A (120W max)
AC inverter US (output, 60Hz, pure sine wave): 110V, 2.6A (300W continuous, 600W surge max)
Power Pole Chaining port: 12V, up to 33A (400W max)
charging port (input, 8mm, blue, circle):14-29V, up to 10A (120W max)

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

07-25-2015 05:09 PM
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

Paula, have you asked your electric company if they have any options for their customers who have medical equipment? I know when late SIL came home on a respirator, the power company hooked up a backup in case of power loss. They simply required her to be moved inland should there be a threat of hurricane. She lived in Florida. I seem to recall my brother said the monthly cost was lower than anything he could buy.

Could be that these backups are limited to only certain types of medical equipment. Just thought I would suggest it as a possibility.
07-25-2015 05:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
foss Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Autosense 10
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara View FFM
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 13.4

Other Comments: Marine Chemist, Science Teacher & Counselor, Internet Server Admistrator

Paula

Check my recent backup battery thread.

That particular battery has is rated at 55 amp hours which is a little less than double the one mentioned earlier in this thread.

You can always go to 100 amp hour deep discharge batteries. They are heavy but still available for $100 + or -.

With a battery tender, preferably the 5 amp version attached, you can run from the battery with a DC power adapter and it will automatically be supplying power when the power goes out and then go back to charge mode when the power comes back on.

For a stationary home battery, the weight doesn't matter much. Just set it up on the floor or and nearby stand or shelf.

Jeff

Sleep is worth the effort.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2015 06:00 PM by foss.)
07-25-2015 05:57 PM
parkerdt Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: WISP, Nuance
Humidifier: Climate Hose and included humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 9

Other Comments: I alternate between WISP and fabric Nuance - like both!

It would seem that some entrepreneur would see this oft-repeated thread and offer for sale:

1, 55+ AmpHour AGM battery. Heck maybe sizes up to 200 AH
2. easy on-off trickle charge connections to recharge the thing in reasonable time.
3. easy plug and play CPAP interactions - Resprironics and ResMed compatibility, for sure, others woud be great.
4. some real research with expected battery life over a series of different machines, pressures, humidifiers, etc.

A lot of us need our humidifiers to get through the night. Now, we just need solutions to get through multiple nights with no power.

NOTHING I have seen so far, other than a full-house emergency generator, will do this. Would be great to have an under $10K solution!

Dave
07-25-2015 06:57 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
foss Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Autosense 10
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara View FFM
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 13.4

Other Comments: Marine Chemist, Science Teacher & Counselor, Internet Server Admistrator

Dave,

Here are possible solutions:
1. AGM batteries are available at your local large discount store up to 100 amp hours.
2. You can leave a "Battery Tender" intelligent charger connected for a very long time to maintain the battery safely. (I have left motorcycle batteries connected to a Battery Tender for long winters. The batteries were maintained and did not sulfate as they would have if left un-attended and un-charged.)
3. With the ResMed DC power converter/supply, you can leave your xPAP connected to the battery full time. There is no need to disconnect the Battery Tender or the xPAP DC power supply. When the main power fails, the xPAP will continue to work without interruption. When the main power returns, the Battery Tender will begin charging the battery to full capacity again.
4. I am working on the equipment that I have. I will post details as I develop them.

This solution provide non-interrupted service all night with no user interaction required.

Jeff

Sleep is worth the effort.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2015 07:57 PM by foss.)
07-25-2015 07:55 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

(07-25-2015 05:51 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  Paula, have you asked your electric company if they have any options for their customers who have medical equipment? I know when late SIL came home on a respirator, the power company hooked up a backup in case of power loss. They simply required her to be moved inland should there be a threat of hurricane. She lived in Florida. I seem to recall my brother said the monthly cost was lower than anything he could buy.

Could be that these backups are limited to only certain types of medical equipment. Just thought I would suggest it as a possibility.

CPAP would not be considered life threatening like a respirator. In terms of medical needs, it probably is fairly far down the list. We CAN sleep without it a night or two. We may be grouchy. We may snore. We may have increased blood pressure. But we won't die. So I doubt it would qualify by itself for any kind of program assistance such as that.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

07-26-2015 01:31 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
MobileBasset Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AIRCURVE 10 V Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher Paykel Zest
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 10 (minE 6,maxI 12, PS 3)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

I enjoy all the battery threads. I think it is because, as Dave pointed out, no one has yet made available a slick in-home, multi-night solution. (I am happy with my C100 travel setup). I am leaning toward Jeff's battery tender solution since I already own the 5 amp battery tender. I will be very interested in updates on this solution.

if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
07-26-2015 06:49 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 278 22,189 10-27-2016 05:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Battery for Airplane Travel EmilySleeps 5 504 09-16-2016 02:00 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  Pilot-24 CPAP Battery System from Medistrom sonicboom 15 4,561 09-16-2016 11:07 AM
Last Post: DSchabel
  [Equipment] Camping for 7 days - AirCurve 10 ASV - battery power? Grooves McFly 21 2,767 08-31-2016 01:29 AM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell
  [Equipment] Battery usage with CPAP (S7 and A10) MrGadget 10 760 08-26-2016 06:24 AM
Last Post: Bhante
Surprised [Equipment] Emergency backup power Marthajoy7 9 601 08-21-2016 10:00 AM
Last Post: icyura10
  UPS options (Power backup for CPAP) machines Hmm888 14 1,618 08-19-2016 12:28 PM
Last Post: ve7ltd