Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Battery backup which comes on automatically for BiPap w/ oxygen and humidifier?
RE: Battery backup which comes on automatically for BiPap w/ oxygen and humidifier?
Invacare. It is not the very smallest model, but the next one up.
====
Am caring for nonagenarian parents:  one uses a ResMed Airsense 11, and the other a ResMed Astral 150, full face masks, oxygen, humidifiers, modems.

Anyone else caring for very elderly loved ones?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Battery backup which comes on automatically for BiPap w/ oxygen and humidifier?
If you know about setting up a DIY battery backup using a marine battery, a battery charger, and connectors, could you please advise?

I've read in a couple of threads about needing some kind of fuse, too.

I will get help to set it up and connect it, but I need to know what devices and tools I need to buy.

If you don't mind another question....

Thanks very much.
====
Am caring for nonagenarian parents:  one uses a ResMed Airsense 11, and the other a ResMed Astral 150, full face masks, oxygen, humidifiers, modems.

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried to assemble a picture of the items that I believe a Philips CPAP will need. The solderless eyelets (lower right) would replace the big battery clamps in the item above them.  These items would then be attached to the threaded posts on the battery.  The Battery Tender comes with a cable that has these eyelets to attach to the battery as well.  Although my system is a Resmed and a little different in setup, I have been constantly using this configuration since 2017.  The power can go off during the night and I will never know it.

I hope the picture helps.  

- Red

[Image: QCrpdKz.png]
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape, how very very kind of you. Thank you.
====

Post Reply Post Reply
Search Amazon for Zopec EXPLORE 5500 CPAP Battery Backup Power Supply. There are quite a few that will do what you want. 
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Helena,
I am at this point a retired IT network engineer.  Before retirement, we used to install battery backup units for our customer's computers.  Especially for some larger servers, expected to stay up 24/7/365, these could have fairly high capacity.  We went thru many brands, such as Tripplite, APC, Best Power, etc.  All would do the job initially, but they all had a problem with battery life.  These UPS batteries would degrade within a couple of years, and the units would need replacement.

Finally we hit on Cyber Power.  These devices had all the same functions of the other brands, but their batteries stayed healthy far longer.  I only saw a very few fail with battery issues, and those were the very bottom of their line, lowest capacities, etc.

I have several Cyber Power UPS units in my house now, and they have all been going for several years, without issues.
Hope this helps.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2021, 04:34 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I tried to assemble a picture of the items that I believe a Philips CPAP will need. The solderless eyelets (lower right) would replace the big battery clamps in the item above them.  These items would then be attached to the threaded posts on the battery.  The Battery Tender comes with a cable that has these eyelets to attach to the battery as well.  Although my system is a Resmed and a little different in setup, I have been constantly using this configuration since 2017.  The power can go off during the night and I will never know it.

I hope the picture helps.  

- Red

My apologies to the original poster for diverting the topic. 

I've been searching for a continuous battery backup for a Resmed A10 and saw this post. Could you confirm the necessary parts to make that work? I'm sure there's a thread around here somewhere, I just can't find it!
Post Reply Post Reply
In lieu of the Philips DC connector in my post above, you would use a Resmed Series 10 compatible 12 to 24 DC-DC power supply. I bought mine from Amazon for about $36. All other items in the post above would apply.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2021, 01:49 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: In lieu of the Philips DC connector in my post above, you would use a Resmed Series 10 compatible 12 to 24 DC-DC power supply.   I bought mine from Amazon for about $36.  All other items in the post above would apply.

Thank you for your reply, very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2021, 11:43 PM)becker44a Wrote: Hi Helena,
I am at this point a retired IT network engineer.  Before retirement, we used to install battery backup units for our customer's computers.  Especially for some larger servers, expected to stay up 24/7/365, these could have fairly high capacity.  We went thru many brands, such as Tripplite, APC, Best Power, etc.  All would do the job initially, but they all had a problem with battery life.  These UPS batteries would degrade within a couple of years, and the units would need replacement.

Finally we hit on Cyber Power.  These devices had all the same functions of the other brands, but their batteries stayed healthy far longer.  I only saw a very few fail with battery issues, and those were the very bottom of their line, lowest capacities, etc.

I have several Cyber Power UPS units in my house now, and they have all been going for several years, without issues.
Hope this helps.

I agree with the earlier comment that a professionally installed backup generator is the best solution, because when your mom wakes up in the middle of the night she will need more than just the CPAP to work.  She will also need the heat some lights, etc.  And if the outage stretches more than a few hours the number of items that you would need increases.  A generator, a propane tank to feed it, and an automatic transfer switch with specific critical devices that would be powered in the event of an outage.  That's the best way to go.
The talk you would have heard about generators being hard to find or supplies running low, is normally in reference to portable generators that sit on store shelves and then sell out quickly in storm season.  Fixed whole-home backup generators are a different market and are pretty much always available because they are stored more centrally and ordered as needed so regional variations in demand have less impact.  

Short of a generator, the comment quoted above about UPS battery backups is your second best choice.  If you want something simple and unobtrusive, then this available and proven.  It's a unit that plugs into your regular wall outlet and then the CPAP (plus probably a bedside light, and maybe a phone if you have one that requires power) can plug into this thing.  That's the extent of the setup required.
They come in various sizes, so in order to choose one you would need know how much power you need and for how long.
The Philips Bi-PAP Auto Bi-Flex has a 60 Watt power supply by default, or an optional 80 Watt power supply if the heated hose is added.  With that info you could contact any of the brands listed above in becker44a's post and they could find one that would cover your needs.  The catch, of course, is that the more power you want to cover, or the longer time you want it available, the more it costs.  So at some point the money spent on that would start to detract from the better solution of a backup generator.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 90 51 minutes ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,328 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,820 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 251 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 674 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 198 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.