Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Battery backup which comes on automatically for BiPap w/ oxygen and humidifier?
Battery backup which comes on automatically for BiPap w/ oxygen and humidifier?
My mother uses a BiPap with oxygen and a humidifier, and a full face mask.

Is there something reliable which will switch on automatically if the power goes out?

She is not able to get up and re-connect something or do something to a device. The battery just needs to switch on by itself.

Someone else in the family could get a marine, deep-cycle battery and the parts and set it up, if she had instructions. Or we could hire someone. But there is not someone available continually who could reliably fiddle with the DIY battery backup setup day in and day out.

My father had something set up with a previous BiPap, but for some reason it doesn't work on the current machine. He is not up to putting together a new "system".

Current BiPap is Philips Respironics, BiPap Auto, BiFlex. The software for monitoring is Sleepmapper. I don't know the strength of the pressure or the level of oxygen. Both have recently been changed to higher levels.

I read some at threads here on battery backups, and the DIY folks seem to know what they are doing. I do not.

If someone could made a recommendation for safe, reliable battery backup setup that is relatively easy to set up and which will be electrically safe, I would very much appreciate the help.

Thank you!
====
Am caring for nonagenarian parents:  one uses a ResMed Airsense 11, and the other a ResMed Astral 150, full face masks, oxygen, humidifiers, modems.

Anyone else caring for very elderly loved ones?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Battery backup which comes on automatically for BiPap w/ oxygen and humidifier?
Welcome to Apnea Board. I am sure there's a good solution to this. I have some ideas myself but I'll let it to those that are much better at this than I, especially as my idea hasn't been used and therefore unproven. I have seen some idea where a deep cycle battery is kept charged via a float charger I think and is connected to the PAP. Again, I'm only in "the sketchy and not sure until I do" phase. So be certain to take what I just said with a few pounds of salt. Others will stop by to say hello and offer much better battery solutions than my sketchy-ness.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Battery backup which comes on automatically for BiPap w/ oxygen and humidifier?
Dave, thank you for your kind greeting and post.
I need to get this set up and running smoothly, as the ice storm season arrives very soon.
====
Am caring for nonagenarian parents:  one uses a ResMed Airsense 11, and the other a ResMed Astral 150, full face masks, oxygen, humidifiers, modems.

Post Reply Post Reply
One of the first things I would recommend, is to contact your power company and see if they have provisions, and what they are, for customers with a medical necessity.

The problem to your question is trying to determine the length that emergency power will be needed. The make of CPAP you have listed uses 12 volt power, so a large deep-cycle battery could suffice. The oxygen concentrator is another story. I don't know its power requirements. Two options come to mind. First, is one of the 2000 Watt super quiet inverter generators and a long extension cord, but that is dependent on the O2's power requirements. You can get up to 12 hours on a tank of gas, albeit not at full load. The second option would be a standby generator if you happen to have LP or natural gas at her location.

I probably didn't answer your question. I hope I did provide avenues for you to explore.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape, thanks very much for your post.

There are oxygen tanks for use if the power goes out.

I just called the power company, and a clerk said that they only provide electricity for life support, if they approve the person, according to the doctor's letter which must be sent.

The clerk at the power company only read off her list of answers (the way cell phone customer service does). I asked about heating, because in the winter, people cannot stay alive without heating, and that heating is part of life support. She said, "No. They only supply electricity for the life support device."

She read off of her one-sentence list again. I asked what the critieria were for approval and she refused to tell me.

I asked to speak with a supervisor. She said there was none.

-----

So, it looks like we need a generator plus two battery backup systems:

My father uses a CPaP: Philips Respironics, REMStar Auto, A Flex, System One.

Will the same setup for the BiPaP work on his machine?

Thanks very much.
====

Post Reply Post Reply
At a certain point, especially if the grid is unreliable, you are better off with a with a stationary stamdby generator that runs on natural gas or propane, and automatically switched from grid to generator power and back as required. It is totally hands-off and can power all critical circuits in your home including HVAC, refrigeration, lighting and medical. No batteries required. The cost can be fairly high, but you can get bids for a system and installation that meets your needs and budget.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, thanks very much for your post. I appreciate it.

I am waiting for a return call from an electrician to get started on the process of determining what kind and how much of a generator and then go from there..

My concern is that there are not generators available, except perhaps at shark prices.

A local generator dealer told me there is a waiting list of 3 - 4 months, and that it might be best to get one through ebay or amazon or similar.

I still want to have the battery backups for the BiPap and CPAP.
====

Post Reply Post Reply
Even Home Depot and Lowes carry them with installation offers. You might want to check there as well. Our house is setup with a gas supply and generator panel, but I have not needed the generator as our power is 99.9% reliable. If we become a "green energy" country that may change.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.
We are working on getting a generator.

Meanwhile, I will look into the factory battery-backups for both machines.
====

Post Reply Post Reply
What brand of oxygen concentrator is being used?  This is mainly for curiosity.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 108 9 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,827 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 679 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 201 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.