Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Battery backup
Battery backup
I know, I know. "ANOTHER battery thread?!? Seriously?"

Yes. Because I have to get serious about it. For some reason, we keep losing power. And each time it has been late at night when I am ready for bed. I can't go to bed so I am stuck awake until it comes back on. Duke Energy is insane. Their tree trimming policy changed a few years ago and now we are the ones paying for it.

The problem I have had with deciding on a battery system has always been my high pressure needs. My 95% is between 18 and 20. It has been dropping down lately but not consistently enough. According to the charts, this drops the time available down significantly. I'm not gonna fork over a chunk of change only to get a few hours of sleep.

A. Not willing to change settings for every power outage
B. Not keen on switching to the Escape for every outage, either.
C. Fine with "homebrewing" a setup

1. There's the Lithium battery SecondWind (Supplier #2) and others are carrying. But it doesn't get hooked up until the power goes out, right? And my Resmed would need the additional cord, I know.

2. Is there an already existing system that works similar to a computer's UPS system? Kicks in when the power goes out? Or does this type have to be built?

3. I also see a flat, black battery set up called the N/C 2000 but the Resmeds need an inverter (I wonder if the cord I see for the other systems would work?). It allegedly lasts a very long time. Anyone heard or use this one?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Battery backup
UPS, like the kind computers use, are designed for short term power outages. Enough time for you to save documents and power down. If you run those batteries down they get damaged (shortened life span). Enough times discharged they overheat and swell to the point they are difficult to remove from the UPS. Some of those batteries are expensive. I have 4 large UPS that need battery replacements. 2 have 2 batteries and 2 have 4. Each battery is $50-ish. Hence why I have a collection of UPS with dead batteries. :\

1. I would say Yes you need to connect those after the fact.
2. Pre-made transfer switches are expensive. APC has one for around 800 for example. If you're handy with the soldering iron there are circuits you can build to do this.
3. can't answer. For your pressure, you're looking into setting up a couple batteries in parallel to extend runtime (higher amps, same voltage).

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to have an old battery backup system (the U1 battery was long dead) I used just for the switching unit. I used it for a fan I think. It kept running if the power went out. I had it hooked to an old wheelchair battery that would run it for about six hours or so.

So it looks like I need to get two or more batteries and hook them in parallel. I can do that. Just need to get it from that set up to the plug for the Autoset. Wonder how much the inverter would cause me to lose in that situation?

And yes, I understand about the computer backup being useless for CPAPs. One of these nights I'm gonna experiment with mine just to see how long it lasts.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
The Goal Zero Yeti 400 looks interesting. Pricey though. But I like that it works like a mini-generator (without the fumes and noise) so I can use it out in the shed.

Specs:
Cell Type: AGM Lead-Acid
Peak Capacity: 396Wh (12V, 33Ah)

USB port (output): 5V, up to 2.1A (10W max), regulated
6mm port (output, 6mm, green, hexagon): 12V, up to 10A (120W max)
12V car port (output): 12V, up to 10A (120W max)
AC inverter US (output, 60Hz, pure sine wave): 110V, 2.6A (300W continuous, 600W surge max)
Power Pole Chaining port: 12V, up to 33A (400W max)
charging port (input, 8mm, blue, circle):14-29V, up to 10A (120W max)
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula, have you asked your electric company if they have any options for their customers who have medical equipment? I know when late SIL came home on a respirator, the power company hooked up a backup in case of power loss. They simply required her to be moved inland should there be a threat of hurricane. She lived in Florida. I seem to recall my brother said the monthly cost was lower than anything he could buy.

Could be that these backups are limited to only certain types of medical equipment. Just thought I would suggest it as a possibility.
Post Reply Post Reply
Paula

Check my recent backup battery thread.

That particular battery has is rated at 55 amp hours which is a little less than double the one mentioned earlier in this thread.

You can always go to 100 amp hour deep discharge batteries. They are heavy but still available for $100 + or -.

With a battery tender, preferably the 5 amp version attached, you can run from the battery with a DC power adapter and it will automatically be supplying power when the power goes out and then go back to charge mode when the power comes back on.

For a stationary home battery, the weight doesn't matter much. Just set it up on the floor or and nearby stand or shelf.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would seem that some entrepreneur would see this oft-repeated thread and offer for sale:

1, 55+ AmpHour AGM battery. Heck maybe sizes up to 200 AH
2. easy on-off trickle charge connections to recharge the thing in reasonable time.
3. easy plug and play CPAP interactions - Resprironics and ResMed compatibility, for sure, others woud be great.
4. some real research with expected battery life over a series of different machines, pressures, humidifiers, etc.

A lot of us need our humidifiers to get through the night. Now, we just need solutions to get through multiple nights with no power.

NOTHING I have seen so far, other than a full-house emergency generator, will do this. Would be great to have an under $10K solution!

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave,

Here are possible solutions:
1. AGM batteries are available at your local large discount store up to 100 amp hours.
2. You can leave a "Battery Tender" intelligent charger connected for a very long time to maintain the battery safely. (I have left motorcycle batteries connected to a Battery Tender for long winters. The batteries were maintained and did not sulfate as they would have if left un-attended and un-charged.)
3. With the ResMed DC power converter/supply, you can leave your xPAP connected to the battery full time. There is no need to disconnect the Battery Tender or the xPAP DC power supply. When the main power fails, the xPAP will continue to work without interruption. When the main power returns, the Battery Tender will begin charging the battery to full capacity again.
4. I am working on the equipment that I have. I will post details as I develop them.

This solution provide non-interrupted service all night with no user interaction required.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2015, 05:51 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Paula, have you asked your electric company if they have any options for their customers who have medical equipment? I know when late SIL came home on a respirator, the power company hooked up a backup in case of power loss. They simply required her to be moved inland should there be a threat of hurricane. She lived in Florida. I seem to recall my brother said the monthly cost was lower than anything he could buy.

Could be that these backups are limited to only certain types of medical equipment. Just thought I would suggest it as a possibility.

CPAP would not be considered life threatening like a respirator. In terms of medical needs, it probably is fairly far down the list. We CAN sleep without it a night or two. We may be grouchy. We may snore. We may have increased blood pressure. But we won't die. So I doubt it would qualify by itself for any kind of program assistance such as that.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I enjoy all the battery threads. I think it is because, as Dave pointed out, no one has yet made available a slick in-home, multi-night solution. (I am happy with my C100 travel setup). I am leaning toward Jeff's battery tender solution since I already own the 5 amp battery tender. I will be very interested in updates on this solution.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 113 Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,337 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,828 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 202 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,440 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 21 3,504 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: scowell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.