Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Battery backup
RE: Battery backup
parkerdt -

Is it just for a one night outage max? Is the battery sized right for your machine and settings? For extended power outage, you may reconfigure your CPAP, especially WRT Climateline tube and heated humidification. That can buy you a lot more run time on any given battery.

See http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...lo_eng.pdf

Assuming a 50 AH battery gets you where you want to be, it should work, but I don't think you really need the $65 battery box unless you just want it for asthetics (in which case, knock yourself out):

* The battery and a simple cigar lighter plug with alligator clips for $5 would get you there**
* The box is designed for a type 24 or 27 battery which is a lot bigger than the one spec'ed in the question - but much heavier too
* The 5 amp BatteryTender is big and bulky***; it is faster charging but one of the smaller wall wart models may be better suited for float maintenance***

OMMOHY

** assuming Resmed's plug include a fuse - I assume they do - Respironics cord is fused
*** about the size of a pound of cheese; charge speed - to pick a number for a given charge state, charging times for your battery with the 5 A may be 4 hours, with a 1.5 A charger may be 12-15 hours but the maintenance function would be the same;
Post Reply Post Reply
Not so much for looks, but for keeping nosey dogs out! I figure with the larger box, I might be able to fit the battery tender inside it as well.

50 AH should get me a full night with humidity and heated hose, and several nights with slim line and no humidity. Might bump it up to 100 AH - those VMAX batteries LOOK nice, but I really know nothing about them...

* VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah AGM Deep Cycle SLA Maintenance Free Battery (12V 100AH, GROUP 27 Marine Deep Cycle AGM Battery) *

rather more expensive than the 50 ah for sure.

Thanks,

Dave

(01-23-2016, 07:13 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: parkerdt -

Is it just for a one night outage max? Is the battery sized right for your machine and settings? For extended power outage, you may reconfigure your CPAP, especially WRT Climateline tube and heated humidification. That can buy you a lot more run time on any given battery.

See http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...lo_eng.pdf

Assuming a 50 AH battery gets you where you want to be, it should work, but I don't think you really need the $65 battery box unless you just want it for asthetics (in which case, knock yourself out):

* The battery and a simple cigar lighter plug with alligator clips for $5 would get you there**
* The box is designed for a type 24 or 27 battery which is a lot bigger than the one spec'ed in the question - but much heavier too
* The 5 amp BatteryTender is big and bulky***; it is faster charging but one of the smaller wall wart models may be better suited for float maintenance***

OMMOHY

** assuming Resmed's plug include a fuse - I assume they do - Respironics cord is fused
*** about the size of a pound of cheese; charge speed - to pick a number for a given charge state, charging times for your battery with the 5 A may be 4 hours, with a 1.5 A charger may be 12-15 hours but the maintenance function would be the same;

Post Reply Post Reply
I notice that the ResMed battery guide doesn't list the Airsense 10 in it's inverter chart only under the DC-DC converter. I've used mine with my pure sine wave inverter a number of times.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2016, 04:52 PM)parkerdt Wrote: 50 AH should get me a full night with humidity and heated hose, and several nights with slim line and no humidity. Might bump it up to 100 AH - those VMAX batteries LOOK nice, but I really know nothing about them...

* VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah AGM Deep Cycle SLA Maintenance Free Battery (12V 100AH, GROUP 27 Marine Deep Cycle AGM Battery) *

I know NOTHING about VMAX batteries. They might be the best in the world. They look cool.

BUT ....

Looks don't mean crap when considering batteries, especially from online sources. There are several well reputed batteries out there and there are also a bunch of guys that buy the cheapest crap from the cheapest sweatshop in remote Outer Buttcrackistan that CAN put slick looking labels on them!

Not saying they're the best but I bought CSB and PowerSonic. I think my next ones will be one of those or MK Battery (I don't know which one ARE the BEST, but when you go to Amazon and search for "CSB 35 AH SLA" or "Powersonic 128AH SLA", there are a LOT of the generic makers saying "just as good as CSB" or "direct replacement for Powersonic" or "replaces MK Battery"). Those and a few others are the "name brand" batteries that a reputable local online supplier handles. By name brand. And they refuse to substitute brands. I'm not endorsing any of these, just relating what my thoughts were when buying my AGM/SLA batteries for emergency power backup.

Also, there may be local shops like BatteriesPlus or Interstate Battery local to you where you can go put hands on to see and feel how bulky/heavy or how light and handy they are. Also good to be local to supplier if one goes bad. Shipping a 35 pound chunk of lead and acid gel is not always cheap if you have to return one.

Also, as you go up in capacity, they become VERY hard to handle. You mentioned a 100 AH battery, you're talking 60-65 pounds. The 35-39 AH SLAs are at about the limit of handiness at around 25 pounds... Most adults should be able to lug 25 pounds.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Luckily we didn't lose power with this storm. Especially since I did nothing with the battery back up. I don't control the purse strings and the one who does is a procrastinator so sometimes stuff doesn't happen. This storm though, was a reminder.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
has anyone mentioned a Honda EU2000i inverter genset? that's the ticket for extended outages. last major ice storm knocked out power for 2.5 weeks ... that's when one discovers the best genset is the littlest one you can get by with. Honda EU2000i sips fuel, that and lots of fuel on hand ... important when most gas stations nearby also have no power to pump gas.

Post Reply Post Reply
Nice unit, quite expensive, however, per watt.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Jeff, I am very interested in finding a solution to my need for battery back up in case of power failure. Can you provide picture of your setup with listing of exact details of equipment you use.

Do you leave the battery in your bedroom and connected? How safe is the setup? Do you leave the charging system connected all the time.

the resmed power station II is a possible solution also, lithium battery, but very limited when heated hose and humidifier is used. and very expensive. over $600

Thanks for your contribution to solving this thorny problem. I don't travel with the cpap so this would be for home use.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 77 10 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,815 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 198 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 248 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,437 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 21 3,498 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: scowell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.