Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Totally clueless
Totally clueless
I will be the first to admit I am totally clueless about how all this works. I had a home sleep study done at the suggestion of my doctor and was found to have mild to moderate sleep apnea. The formal sleep study was done shortly after. I had to call my doctor (after 4 weeks) to find out the results of this study. The formal sleep study showed moderate to severe apnea. I was told I have the kind of apnea where I don't breathe deep enough during the night so CO2 builds up in my body. I was fitted with a CPAP machine and a mask that was too big. After finally getting a mask that fit as well as having to purchase a smaller headgear piece, everything seemed to be going great. My blood pressure dropped over 10 mm/hg (the reason I was set up for the study). I know there is a smart card in my machine but have absolutely no knowledge of who is supposed to review the data (me?) how often and how it can be reviewed. When should I expect the sleep study doctor to see me (never saw or talked to him yet)? Like I said...totally clueless.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Totally clueless
(05-08-2014, 02:15 PM)artsmartburg Wrote: I know there is a smart card in my machine but have absolutely no knowledge of who is supposed to review the data (me?) how often and how it can be reviewed. When should I expect the sleep study doctor to see me (never saw or talked to him yet)? Like I said...totally clueless.
Unfortunately 'Philips-Respironics Series 60 REMstar SE' is not data capable machine, meaning does not gives any clues how the therapy is working, just report how many hours using it each night.
Ask the doctor to change the machine to data capable machine
Philips-Respironics System One machines model numbers below 460 are not data capable machines

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi artsmartburg,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
artsmartburg, You sound like a person who is interested in understanding and making the most of APNEA therapy. This forum contains all the information you need as well as the support of fellow travelers. Search, read and post your questions and you will be amazed at how quickly you leave that "clueless" status in the dust.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2014, 02:15 PM)artsmartburg Wrote: I was told I have the kind of apnea where I don't breathe deep enough during the night so CO2 builds up in my body.

You can get the results of the sleep study to find out more, but since you seem to be doing better, and you have a machine that doesn't record data, there's not much that you can or need to do. Keep your gear clean and change your filters. Watch for signs of leaks.

It sounds like you had too many hyponeas, which simply means that your airway gets restricted rather than closing completely. This causes you to constantly wake up so you can open your airway and get the CO2 level back down.

The elevated CO2 level causes damage to your body. The repeated awakenings prevent you from getting the deeper levels of restorative sleep your body and mind need to function properly. It also causes cardiovascular problems such as the elevated blood pressure you had, and also an increased risk of heart attack or stroke.

If you had a data-capable machine you could check to make sure your leak levels were in check and that your AHI (number of hypopneas and apneas per hour) is below 5.

You will need to order replacement supplies such as hoses, filters, and masks. The supplier may require that you have your prescription renewed annually which means another visit to the doctor.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am totally lost gaydolphinorgy 4 797 01-07-2022, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Pressure] UARS treatment and clueless mrsub 13 2,228 03-24-2021, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  I am TOTALLY (and hopelessly) lost! Danno54 31 3,240 06-26-2020, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Clueless and Needing help jpmogler 98 8,564 01-16-2020, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Osiris357
  [Diagnosis] New, confused , Clueless shrty 11 2,204 02-17-2019, 04:31 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  Can't find a mask. Totally frustrated! michael9346 51 7,645 07-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  Totally Disappointed bricki 23 4,033 06-03-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: bricki

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.