Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] BiPAP Machine & Mask suggestions
BiPAP Machine & Mask suggestions
I’m a newbie and recently diagnosed. I will be getting a BiPAP machine through a DME and hope to get advice from the members here.

I have done two sleep studies and been diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. My prescription specifies a BiPAP machine with IPAP = 26 cm H2O and EPAP = 20 cm H2O. Most BiPAP machines have a maximum pressure of 25 cm H2O, so my machine choice is limited.

The DME want to supply a ResMed S9 VPAP™ COPD, which can do 30 cm H2O. Is anyone familiar with this machine? Any feedback?

Are there any other machines that you would recommend?

I will need a full-face mask due to mouth breathing. In my sleep study a Respironics Comfort Gel Blue was used, but it was uncomfortable. Any suggestions for full-face masks?

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BiPAP Machine & Mask suggestions
Welcome

You're going to get a lot of different answers on the mask. It's all up to you and what you prefer. Try out a few. I like the one I use, Mirage Liberty but with your pressure I wouldn't recommend that mask. I have a hard enough time keeping the pillows in place when my machine cranks up and my max pressure is lots less.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I know the VPAP COPD BiLevel is one of the only machines out there that does 30 cmH2O pressure. It also has some settings that can be useful for treating COPD patients. That is a pretty extraordinary pressure. Do you have any other respiratory problems that you require pressure that high?

Masks are a personal thing, and what fits one person will be uncomfortable and leak on someone else. The Resmed Quattro Pro is pretty frequently used by users with high pressure requirements. The Airfit F10 is also commonly used, but very dependent on face shape. Simplus FFM is probably worth a look. I'm sure you will be allowed to try and return as necessary. Give a mask a decent chance to work, but if it doesn't, don't hesitate to return it before your trial period expires.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sprite60, WELCOME! to the forum.!
AS far as the mask goes, don't be shy about asking to try different ones, sometimes it takes quite a few 'till you find the right one that works for you.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you asyou start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2015, 12:16 PM)sprite60 Wrote: The DME want to supply a ResMed S9 VPAP™ COPD, which can do 30 cm H2O.

You can't go wrong with ResMed. They are very reliable machines and have an excellent reputation around here. The S9 is not the newest line, the A10 is, so you might ask why they're giving you the older model. The S9 is an excellent machine, so no worries there. Perhaps it's saving you some money, but more likely it's saving them some money as your insruance company reimburses them the same amount either way. The thing to tell them is that you are shopping around with other DME's and want to make sure you're getting the best deal possible. Just telling them that makes them change their approach, but be aware that DME salesmen have a lot in common with used car salesmen.

As far as the mask goes, let the DME guide you. They are usually required by their contract with your insurance company to provide you with a free replacement mask within the first 30 days if the one they give you doesn't fit. This is because we all have differently shaped faces and that makes it hard to manufacture a mask that works for even a majority of people. I like mine, but then after the trial-and-error process we all go through finding a good mask, most of us do like the one we end up with.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2015, 07:17 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-09-2015, 12:16 PM)sprite60 Wrote: The DME want to supply a ResMed S9 VPAP™ COPD, which can do 30 cm H2O.

You can't go wrong with ResMed. They are very reliable machines and have an excellent reputation around here. The S9 is not the newest line, the A10 is, so you might ask why they're giving you the older model. The S9 is an excellent machine, so no worries there. Perhaps it's saving you some money, but more likely it's saving them some money as your insruance company reimburses them the same amount either way. The thing to tell them is that you are shopping around with other DME's and want to make sure you're getting the best deal possible. Just telling them that makes them change their approach, but be aware that DME salesmen have a lot in common with used car salesmen.

As far as the mask goes, let the DME guide you. They are usually required by their contract with your insurance company to provide you with a free replacement mask within the first 30 days if the one they give you doesn't fit. This is because we all have differently shaped faces and that makes it hard to manufacture a mask that works for even a majority of people. I like mine, but then after the trial-and-error process we all go through finding a good mask, most of us do like the one we end up with.

In this case the machine would be an Aircurve, not Airsense, and I haven't found a COPD model (30 cmH2O IPAP) in searching. I could easily be wrong, but he may need the S9 to get that specification.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
My thanks to all who responded. This is quite the education process. It appears the ResMed S9 VPAP™ COPD is the only non-auto BiPAP machine that is rated for 30 cm H2O. My pulmonologist said no to Auto BiPAP; he wants my pressures fixed at 26 I / 20 E. I understand he may adjust those pressures based on the data reports from the BiPAP machine.

I did check the ResMed AirCurve 10 machines and max pressure is 25 cm H2O on all.

Someone asked why my IPAP pressure is so high. I'm 66 year old and obese. I had 2 split-night sleep studies. The first was no machine, then CPAP (AHI = 54 per hour at 14 cm H2O). The second study was CPAP (up to 20 cm H2O & not effective), then BiPAP. At 26/20 cm H20, AHI dropped to 6.8 per hour. I hope that helps explain my situation to the experienced experts at Apnea Board.

Again, thanks to all of you who responded! I am sure I will have more questions as I start using the machine next week.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the S9. Initially my pressures were 26/19, and it was very difficult to prevent leaks in either simplus or mirage quattro masks. Reducing the pressure (20/12) sealed masks ok, but in S mode, my apneas have remained in the moderate area.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have recently switched to a full face mask from just a nasal one. I was having to wear a chin strap before to stop my mouth from gasping all the air straight back out and making a terrible noise. I find it's much better to sleep in and can switch to breathing with my mouth temporarily until I fall asleep if my nose is a bit blocked up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update: My initial problems were related to mask leakage due to my high pressures (26/20). Medical West in St. Louis is my DME and they were very cooperative in working with me to find a mask that would work. I learned that the size of the mask plays an important role and that the sizing guides don't always result in the optimum fit. It really takes trial & error, working with a good tech and testing the masks with MY machine at MY pressures.

I am currently using a F&P Simplus and getting good results. It is very comfortable (for me), leakage is very low and this has brought my AHI's consistently under 10.

My advice to other newbies is to proactively work with your DME during that initial 30-day period to find the best solution for you.

Again, I send my thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 258 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,933 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 253 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 305 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 286 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 288 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.