Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] BiPAP Repair
BiPAP Repair
Anybody know how to repair a PRS1 BiPAP? Mine is about 2.5 years old and it's starting to malfunction. It beeps, shuts itself off, then beeps and starts back up again. I have the auto-on feature enabled so that probably explains why it starts back up, sometimes I have to take a couple breaths to get get it started again.

I had the auto-off feature enabled. I disabled it and it made no difference.

This happens once or twice a night, some nights it doesn't happen at all. As far as I can tell. I haven't done a thorough search of the data, but it doesn't seem to be showing up there.

According to the DME it's not covered under warranty, but they can replace it for $500 with a newer 660P.

A few weeks ago I bought a used replacement, so I'm willing to take this one apart but I have no idea what to look for!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BiPAP Repair
Probably nothing you can see inside that would give you clue to the failure.
It's probably a lost cause -- so, take it apart for your curiosity if you are so inclined.
You might photograph and post photos on a sharing site.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
One suggestion that *might* work, before taking it apart? Doing a 'factory reset', and then putting all your setting back in may do something???
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
At the risk of a really dumb question - what if it's the power supply that's failing or going intermittent? Alternately - have you tried running it without the SD card altogether? (I recognize it's probably something internal to the box - but even a low chance of a low cost repair might be worth the trouble of checking out.)

FWIW, I think the power connector changed between the PRS1 50 series and 60 series.

I think a 560P is a non-bilevel auto machine. Personally, I've gotten really accustomed to bilevel and would rather have it over the long haul than an auto mode - at least as long as I can observe long-term effects via Sleepyhead. I'm not sure I'd want to swap for any non-bilevel machine - but YMMV.
Post Reply Post Reply
there's a repair manual in the member files dir.... that might help
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2014, 07:08 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Anybody know how to repair a PRS1 BiPAP? Mine is about 2.5 years old and it's starting to malfunction. It beeps, shuts itself off, then beeps and starts back up again.

From years of computer repair work, this sounds most like an electronic failure: possibly a power supply, possibly a control module or some such. I doubt it is anything mechanical.

Assuming that the power supply for these units is external, and if your new/used machine is exactly the same, or if its power supply is the same as the failing machine, you might try the working power supply with the failing machine. The only risk is that of damaging the working power supply, which doesn't seem large.

Good Luck . . .
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2014, 08:00 PM)APAAW Wrote: At the risk of a really dumb question - what if it's the power supply that's failing or going intermittent?

I swapped out the power supply and it made no difference. I thought it a good guess.

Quote:I think a 560P is a non-bilevel auto machine.

I meant to write 660P (I just went back and fixed that error).
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only other thing I could guess that _might_ be repairable by you or me, would be if your 650P had one or more bad capacitors - Google "capacitor plague" and you'll find the story, several times over. I doubt that any PRS S1 would have capacitors that old, or that they would have ended up in first tier medical equipment like Resmed or PRS.

FWIW, I have an HP mini-tower PC that's got quite a few of these failing, bulging, leaking capacitors - and yet it still works! That's probably a testament to some understressed, conservative engineering done by the last of the old Compaq and/or HP engineers a dozen years ago.

Would Philips Respironics themselves be able to fix it for less than $500 - especially since it's just 2 1/2 years old? It's worth trying to shame them into doing the right thing.

Please feel free to PM me if you decide to open it up. "Primum non nocere" - first, do no harm, as I try to tell myself when tearing into things I might be better off leaving alone, not that it's ever stopped me yet. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2014, 07:08 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Mine is about 2.5 years old and it's starting to malfunction. It beeps, shuts itself off, then beeps and starts back up again.
Call Phillips Respironcis customer service, surly they don,t expect their machines to breakdown at the end of warranty period

Any message display on the screen?
Post Reply Post Reply
1) Did you get that machine from a DME ??

2) Do you have insurance ??

The normal policy at my DME would be to give you a loaner machine at your settings while your machine is sent in for repair. Many insurance companies will pay the repair costs (or a percentage based on your coverage).

Some insurances require a "repair order" (which can be just a RX pad order from your doctor). 1) Repair BIPAP machine 2) DX: OSA 3) Current settings.....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] resmed apap repair sleeper2460 4 513 11-24-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
Money [CPAP] Repair Z1 or purchase Pilot-24 Lite Battery CJH1968 3 595 08-13-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,581 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
  Resmed BiPAP repair company in U.S? 17WRX 3 709 05-13-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.