Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] BiPaap Not Working Properly
BiPaap Not Working Properly
Hi! I am new to the forum, but I have been using a BiPap machine for 8 years now.

Recently I went away and brought my machine with me, of course, but when I set it up in the hotel room my BiPap turned on on it's own and every time I turned it off it would turn back on right away. I unplugged the machine and plugged it back in and that fixed that issue However, ever since then it doesn't cycle from exhale to inhale.

I haven't had a good nights sleep in 2 weeks and would really like to know if anyone knows what I can do to fix it. I have gone into the settings and everything seems to be at the correct setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BiPaap Not Working Properly
You can take it to where you bought it and asked to have it looked at, but in reality, it is 8 years old.
Possibly it can be repaired, and you can keep it as a backup and acquire a newer machine.

Do you have insurance coverage? If not, Supplier #2 sells good used machines, also new zero hours open box units.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

I hope you can get this resolved soon. Good luck.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@OpalRose Thanks for your reply. I will contact my equipment supplier on Monday, and see if they can look at it. I was hoping to avoid getting a new machine, I do have insurance but they want me to rent it to see if I need it for 9 months before flat out purchasing. I really think that having to prove that I use and indeed have apnea after 8 years on another machine seems ridiculous and more expensive. My Co-pay is a lot higher for rentals than it is for purchases.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2016, 09:35 AM)SleepyElf Wrote: @OpalRose Thanks for your reply. I will contact my equipment supplier on Monday, and see if they can look at it. I was hoping to avoid getting a new machine, I do have insurance but they want me to rent it to see if I need it for 9 months before flat out purchasing. I really think that having to prove that I use and indeed have apnea after 8 years on another machine seems ridiculous and more expensive. My Co-pay is a lot higher for rentals than it is for purchases.

Most insurance (based on medicare) want you to use it for 3 months (actually 20 days for 4 hours per day or something like that) and then they will finance an additional 9 months rent at which point you own the machine. The difference from rent to own vs purchase varies. In my case it was about $100 more to rent to own, but since the insurance pays 80% of it, it only cost me less than $200 total from insurance instead of out right purchase.

The reason they want you to try it first is called compliance test, and while you know you have used it for 8 years, they have literally millions of clients and many would get the machine and not use it. In order to avoid all the investigation they would have to do for that many, they just say a compliance test for everyone. It does save money in the long run - or at least that is the idea.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyElf,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Just curious, when you turn your machine on, are you getting any error codes?
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you with getting things straightened out with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2016, 09:44 AM)FrankNichols Wrote:
(04-23-2016, 09:35 AM)SleepyElf Wrote: @OpalRose Thanks for your reply. I will contact my equipment supplier on Monday, and see if they can look at it. I was hoping to avoid getting a new machine, I do have insurance but they want me to rent it to see if I need it for 9 months before flat out purchasing. I really think that having to prove that I use and indeed have apnea after 8 years on another machine seems ridiculous and more expensive. My Co-pay is a lot higher for rentals than it is for purchases.

Most insurance (based on medicare) want you to use it for 3 months (actually 20 days for 4 hours per day or something like that) and then they will finance an additional 9 months rent at which point you own the machine. The difference from rent to own vs purchase varies. In my case it was about $100 more to rent to own, but since the insurance pays 80% of it, it only cost me less than $200 total from insurance instead of out right purchase.

The reason they want you to try it first is called compliance test, and while you know you have used it for 8 years, they have literally millions of clients and many would get the machine and not use it. In order to avoid all the investigation they would have to do for that many, they just say a compliance test for everyone. It does save money in the long run - or at least that is the idea.

I have insurance through my employer. My doctor wrote a script for a new machine about 6 months ago, the supplier said that my insurance has a 9 month compliance test, during that time the bipap would be rented. I would have an $80 a month copay (20%) for 9 months. I didn't get the new machine cuz mine had been working fine and it didn't seem worth the hassle. Sad I am sorry I made that decision now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2016, 01:52 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi SleepyElf,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Just curious, when you turn your machine on, are you getting any error codes?
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you with getting things straightened out with your CPAP therapy.

No, no error codes. My BiPap usually turns it's self on as soon as the mask i in place and it is not even doing that. The history shows that I have not used it in 2 weeks even though I use it every night for about 5-6 hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2016, 09:50 PM)SleepyElf Wrote: I have insurance through my employer. My doctor wrote a script for a new machine about 6 months ago, the supplier said that my insurance has a 9 month compliance test, during that time the bipap would be rented. I would have an $80 a month copay (20%) for 9 months. I didn't get the new machine cuz mine had been working fine and it didn't seem worth the hassle. Sad I am sorry I made that decision now.

Call your insurance before you call your supplier, and ask directly what the requirements are and get a breakdown as to what they pay and what you pay. Suppliers/DME's are notorious for giving out incorrect information.

I've not heard of a 9 month compliance. Usually it is 90 days. It may turn out that you end up paying more than buying outright, but again, check with insurance first.

Yes, and I agree that having to prove compliance after being on therapy for years is crazy.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was dispensed a new machine in February this year. My previous dispensed machine was a M-Series from 2008, much like SleepyElf. I have a compliance period that I'm in now, but since the machine sends compliance data wirelessly, it really isn't an inconvenience. Just use the machine like you always do, and it will work out. The other option is to buy your own unit. Lots of good deals to be had on much newer equipment than the M-Series you are currently using.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2016, 06:14 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Call your insurance before you call your supplier, and ask directly what the requirements are and get a breakdown as to what they pay and what you pay. Suppliers/DME's are notorious for giving out incorrect information.

I've not heard of a 9 month compliance. Usually it is 90 days. It may turn out that you end up paying more than buying outright, but again, check with insurance first.

Yes, and I agree that having to prove compliance after being on therapy for years is crazy.

Thanks for the suggestion of contacting my insurance company. I would of never thought of doing this. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 318 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 143 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 192 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 478 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Sad Unable to get my BiPap treatment even started properly FrustratedSleeper 6 459 11-18-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] new to this - is it working? human 7 557 11-04-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: human
  Dreamstation 1 APAP Function Not Working? gary w 4 520 10-12-2023, 12:37 PM
Last Post: gary w

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.