Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] BiPap Vs, Cpap?
BiPap Vs, Cpap?
Just got off the phone with the company trying to sell me a machine and the told me that I would be getting a resmed bipap machine. I been using my dads dreamstation in the meantime and it works wonders for me but it is the recalled cancer inducing one. They told me that due to the recall my machine would take 6 months to get to me. I just wanted to know what the difference is between the two and if Bipap therapy is better because it is the more expensive machine of the two and since my dad was prescribed a cpap and that's what he's been using.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BiPap Vs, Cpap?
A bipap machine give many more options than the Cpap. If they give you a choice take the ResMed VAUTO (bipap) you can set it up to be a Cpap or again there are many other settings that could help you.

If the cost to you is much more the Cpap would probably be fine.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP machines can be a static, single pressure. ResMed and others have had methods to add programming that allows the machine to adjust upward within a minimum and maximum set pressure. This makes the CPAP what can be called APAP or Auto CPAP. These also might have some form of exhale pressure relief to make it more comfortable while sleeping.

BPAP, BiPAP, bilevel have 2 pressures that your sleep therapy involves. Instead of exhale pressure relief, the BPAP has pressure support to add onto the base exhale pressure. PS has a wider operational range. Taking this pressure differential into account can make their better especially for those with higher therapy pressure needs. The BPAP does have pressure ranges like Auto CPAP but due to different settings it arrives there differently.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Call back the DME or your doctor and get a copy of the prescription so we know exactly what is being prescribed. Some bilevel machine have a backup function that help you to breathe during central apnea, or to get a more complete breath with conditions like COPD. There are machines available, although they are in short supply, and you might be able to use a different in-network provider to source one faster than 6-months. The Resmed bilevel machines are Aircurve 10 S, Vauto, ST, ASV and ST-A. We really need to know exactly what is being ordered.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,178 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP to BiPAP transition and pressure settings ttodd 4 675 11-27-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  CPAP vs Bipap Jose Castro 6 847 11-04-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.