Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] BiXPower Battery and converter for ResMed AirSense 10
BiXPower Battery and converter for ResMed AirSense 10
I read about this package in the thread "Thread-camping-succes" on this forum.
(wanted to post the link but since this is my first message, I am not allow to do so, as it seems)

It sounded like a good deal and so I looked at the customer reviews on Amazon.
One user complains about the noisy air fan on the converter (see his full review at the bottom of my message).

So my questions are: 
Has anyone experience with this package? If so, is the fan on your DC/DC converter also noisy?

I was about to order this package, but hate the idea the noisy fan might keep me awake ...

Cheers, Herwig

review on Amazon by Jerry K.:

Battery great, DC converter whines
September 15, 2017

I would rate the battery itself as 5 stars, but the DC converter which connects the battery to the CPAP has a small fan in it which produces a very irritating high pitched whine, which is not very conducive to a good night's sleep. It seems odd that a device designed to power a CPAP (for sleeping) would have this basic design flaw. Or maybe I got a lemon.

I tested the battery with humidifier and hose heater on, and got about 4 hours before the battery was drained. Another night with the humidifier and hose heater off, and the battery still had more than half its charge after 8 hours. Pleased with the battery, but not with the whine.

It enabled me to camp out in Wyoming to watch the eclipse, so I am thankful for that.

The manufacturer should redesign the DC converter.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BiXPower Battery and converter for ResMed AirSense 10
The rules prohibit any links to commercial sites anyway, so just use the name "Bixpower on Amazon" and we can find it. I have been looking at that unit as a leading contender because it includes the 24V converter needed for Resmed, includes charger adapters, and has good capacity. I don't know about the fan noise, but like most cooling fans, there is going to be some variation in noise and quality. Since it is one user complaint, it is likely that the noise is not a common problem, and most are quiet.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Herwig P,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Dear Sleeprider and trish6hundred,

Many thanks for your replies.

The package mentioned above comes with a BiXPower AP170 super high capacity (159 Wh) lithium ion rechargeable battery.
Does anyone know if such a battery is allowed on international flights?
As carry-on, or as regular luggage, or not at all?

Looking forward to your replies.
Meanwhile all the very best for 2018 for everyone on the forum.

Cheers, Herwig
Post Reply Post Reply
Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment. (source FAA: https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/ha.../?hazmat=7 )

100 Watt-hour is the limit for automatic approval. 159 W-hour falls just under the limit for airline approval, so technically you need advance permission. Most people just carry the batteries and take their chances.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,805 2 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 102 4 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 417 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 616 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,612 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,824 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.