Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Bipap repair or replacement ?
Bipap repair or replacement ?
Hello. First post with a couple of questions. 

I have a 9 year old Respironics System One BiPap that is behaving strangely. When powering on the heater knob will flash once followed by a flash from the ramp up button, then repeat the cycle over and over. The LCD display will briefly show the it is reading data and then repeat again, but it does not show an error code.  I can hear the blower spin up for about a second and quit. After 3-5 minutes it will start and run all night. 

The flashing from the temp and ramp buttons must be an error code but I can't find anything to match. All codes that I've found on the net are alphas numeric. 

Unless I can find a way to decode the alternating flashes I'll need to repair or replace it. The problem is my sleep doc is in another state and my local MD won't give me an Rx without a new sleep study. After a layoff I've had to change my insurance and this new carrier will not cover any portion.   

Does anyone know how to decipher the flashing code, or recommend a reputable repair shop?

TIA, 

Randy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bipap repair or replacement ?
Welcome to the forum. I don't know much about the older units like that. I forgot which was decent on repairs, but it is listed on our Supplier list. In some ways though, I'd shop for a bit newer one to replace this. Supplier #2 is very good at low hours newer units.This may be your best bet after satisfying the curiosity on how much to fix the current PAP. BTW as I recall, whichever the one that gets mentioned as good for repairs, they give accurate estimates on the phone. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While I am not familiar with that particular model, have you considered writing down all of your settings and attempting a hard reset? Since most machines have a useful life of 5-7 years, I would say that you are due for an upgrade to a newer model. Perhaps, you can negotiate a repair of the older device as part of the package and keep it as a backup?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for the info. I'm going to try a reset and if that doesn't work I'll check the #2 provider option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine is well past being worthy of repair. You need a new or used machine that can provide better therapy and data. There are some really good deals out there on the Resmed S9 VPAP Auto model #36006, and for a bit more money you can move up to the current Aircurve 10 Vauto #37051. Compare against prices at Supplier #2 who offers a warranty and very good customer support. It really depends on your budget. You want to identify a machine with low hours and that has not been in a smoking environment. If your budget is low, then check DotMed website for the S9 bilevels. To navigate the site, go to DotMed then choose respiratory and the Bi Level PAP section, then search Resmed. If you are uncertain about what machine to get, then post here before selecting.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2020, 07:33 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your machine is well past being worthy of repair. You need a new or used machine that can provide better therapy and data.  There are some really good deals out there on the Resmed S9 VPAP Auto model #36006, and for a bit more money you can move up to the current Aircurve 10 Vauto #37051.  Compare against prices at Supplier #2 who offers a warranty and very good customer support. It really depends on your budget.  You want to identify a machine with low hours and that has not been in a smoking environment.  If your budget is low, then check DotMed website for the S9 bilevels.  To navigate the site, go to DotMed then choose respiratory and the Bi Level PAP section, then search Resmed.  If you are uncertain about what machine to get, then post here before selecting.

Huge help! Thank you. I've been on bipap for years but I'm new at buying on my own. From reading your message the S9 VPAP is a step up from what I have and capable of bi-level functioning, correct? 

I'm not clear on the difference between bipap and vpap so I'll read up tomorrow. Is making the switch as easy as copying my setting from the old machine to the new one? My Rx is in another state and the doc will not release it to me but I have copied the SD card info and saved it to my PC with OSCAR.  Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
In most states, a physician cannot deny you a copy of your medical record -- including your sleep study and prescription. However, they can charge you to copy the documents. I suggest you contact the doctor's office in writing and tell them it is a courtesy prior to filing a complaint with the state medical board. They work for you even if insurance pays the bill.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2020, 02:17 AM)Texis1 Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 07:33 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your machine is well past being worthy of repair. You need a new or used machine that can provide better therapy and data.  There are some really good deals out there on the Resmed S9 VPAP Auto model #36006, and for a bit more money you can move up to the current Aircurve 10 Vauto #37051.  Compare against prices at Supplier #2 who offers a warranty and very good customer support. It really depends on your budget.  You want to identify a machine with low hours and that has not been in a smoking environment.  If your budget is low, then check DotMed website for the S9 bilevels.  To navigate the site, go to DotMed then choose respiratory and the Bi Level PAP section, then search Resmed.  If you are uncertain about what machine to get, then post here before selecting.

Huge help! Thank you. I've been on bipap for years but I'm new at buying on my own. From reading your message the S9 VPAP is a step up from what I have and capable of bi-level functioning, correct? 

I'm not clear on the difference between bipap and vpap so I'll read up tomorrow. Is making the switch as easy as copying my setting from the old machine to the new one? My Rx is in another state and the doc will not release it to me but I have copied the SD card info and saved it to my PC with OSCAR.  Thanks again.
Your doctor needs a serious kick up the rear end and I suggest you administer it. Your medical records are your property, not his/hers. An e-mail reminder of their legal obligations (plus the possibility of reporting this to the relevant medical authority) should help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Texis1, BiPAP is the proprietary name for bilevel PAP therapy by Philips Respironics. VPAP is the name used by Resmed. Upgrades to your legacy machine include the Philips Respironics BiPAP Auto System One 60 Series DS760HS and The Dreamstation BiPAP Auto DSX700. I have a preference for Resmed as being a quieter more comfortable machine (I have used both), and these include the Resmed S9 VPAP Auto 36006 and Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto 37051. All of these machines offer the option to use either fixed bilevel pressure or auto-titrating variable pressure and have full data capability as well as many updated comfort features. Your machine is a fixed BiPAP and the data is not accessible with current equipment, but I think at one time could be read with a serial port.

As mentioned by others above, a copy of any medical record including test results and prescriptions is required to be provided to you under federal law HIPAA by request. https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-individual...index.html The use of DotMed or Supplier #2 is a way to obtain equipment without the hassle of a doctor's appointment and prescription, and assumes you find self-funding to be a better alternative than going through insurance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the helpful advice. I called Supplier #2 and after discussing my needs with a very helpful rep decided a Respironics 760 with humidifier would be a good fit. I occasionally go camping and prefer to use a 12v source instead of a generator, so that plus the auto feature for very little more money sealed the deal for me. I also had another conversation with my sleep doc and will be receiving my files in a few days.

Thanks again for the advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,031 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,815 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 201 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,122 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,892 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem DMAllen 18 5,794 02-25-2024, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Neo2020

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.