Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Bipap
Bipap
I have a perscription for a bipap but am concerned about adjusting to the bipaps set breathing pattern. Are there auto bipaps that adjust to ones breathing as it changes during the night? My one trial with a bipap in a sleep study was not great. I kept waking up and found it difficult to get in sync with the machines set breathing pattern. Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bipap
Hi Sinkiller,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there and someone who knows the ins & outs about Bipap machines will help you, soon.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
I've done a little research on line but really haven't found a machine that specifies that it will adapt to a patients breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2014, 05:48 PM)Sinkiller Wrote: I have a perscription for a bipap but am concerned about adjusting to the bipaps set breathing pattern. Are there auto bipaps that adjust to ones breathing as it changes during the night? My one trial with a bipap in a sleep study was not great. I kept waking up and found it difficult to get in sync with the machines set breathing pattern. Any suggestions?

Hi Sinkiller and Welcome . Yes there are Auto Bipaps , Respironics and Resmed both make them . Not sure of Resmed models but the Respironic models are 750 and 760 . I'm total in love with my PR 750 auto . I fall asleep in under 5 min and wake up in the morning and can't tell it's on . I found it was easy to get into sync with it or it with me . Bottom line is that it takes time for your body to adjust to pressure , mask , noise ,leaks ,ect. Eat-popcorn If at a possible insist on a auto machine ! yes I sleep well but there are no two nights that the pressures are the same .
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2014, 06:43 PM)JWR Wrote: [quote='Sinkiller' pid='61433' dateline='1394146119']
I have a perscription for a bipap but am concerned about adjusting to the bipaps set breathing pattern. Are there auto bipaps that adjust to ones breathing as it changes during the night? My one trial with a bipap in a sleep study was not great. I kept waking up and found it difficult to get in sync with the machines set breathing pattern. Any suggestions?

under Respironics info page on the Bipap auto . got this from the suppliers list under bipaps .

Bi-Flex Family Technology

Flex Technology is designed to enhance traditional BiPAP therapy by maintaining effective therapy at comfortable pressures. A user who is new to BiPAP equipment will find that Flex Technology makes adapting to therapy easier than when using a typical BiPAP machines. The natural breath-by-breath patterns enhances traditional therapy and improves compliance.

Bi-Flex makes the breathing cycle feel natural and comfortable. Flex Technology allows the System One 60 Series BiPAP Auto to track each breath and provide pressure relief during three critical points in the breathing cycle. Pressure is reduced by .5 increments during the transition from exhalation to inhalation, inhalation to exhalation and during exhalation.The Bi-Flex setting can be adjusted up to 1.5 H20 for maximum comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sinkiller. There are several different types of bi-level machine, depending on your particular condition. I have a high percentage of central apneas, so I use an auto-servo ventilation machine, the Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt. Prior to this I had the equivalent Respironics machine on trial. I found the Respironics did indeed try to force me into a particular breathing rhythm. I could never get comfortable with that machine. The Resmed, however, seems to work with me, following my lead rather than trying to enforce a rhythm. I find it much gentler but more effective than the Respironics ASV machine.

There is some information on Resmed's Pacewave technology here: http://www.resmed.com/au/products/s9_vpa...clinicians Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
In 2004, I had a machine that I could not tolerate. So, I gave up on PAP until 2009.
These later machines are much smarter in their switching algorithms.

My Bilevel machine is not an auto; but, it has timing settings for the switch from IPAP to EPAP; and a trigger sensitivity setting.
A good RT can set a bilevel machine to accommodate most patients.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sinkiller,

When you say "auto", It automatically make me think of an auto bipap, which means it adjusts pressure to match your needs throughout the night.

However, your description of "auto" sounds more like, do you have to follow the machines rhythm of in/out, or does it match itself to your natural pattern.

I use a Resmed S9 VPAP Auto. It senses when you are ready to exhale, and lowers the pressure automatically. It's about the pressure change, not about in/out for a certain time period. I am fairly certain the Resmed S9 VPAP S works the same as the auto, without the ability to automatically adjust pressure.

The Phillips machine they hooked me up to at my sleep study felt very much like I had to follow the rhythm it put in place. I don't know if this was my unfamiliarity with everything, or if it really was configured that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sinkiller!
What you really want to make sure of, no matter which machine you get is that it has the newer technologies for making it easier to breathe. These technologies anticipate your breath through subtle changes in your breathing via a sensor array in the airway. Things that you nor I would even know we do! Different manufacturers have different names for these, but you will hear things like Flex or EPR or whatever. Be sure to discuss this with your DME and don't accept a machine that does not have some form of this.
You probably struggled during the sleep study for the same reason everyone I know struggled during their sleep study, wire somebody up with a bunch of foreign wires to machines, put patches on their bodies, clips on their fingers and a belt across their chest. Finally, strap a weird mask thing on their face and tell the to relax and go to sleep while you turn on a tornado in their face. Yeah, we all feel that way the first time! If I got an hours sleep altogether, I'd be surprised!
To top it off I got an old school machine that blows a constant stream of air. One pressure, all the time. Eventually I failed at treatment. Down the road I tried it again but then I got a machine with the newer technologies that adjust to my breathing (A-Flex is the bomb!) and I've never hated my machine since!
Good luck
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 251 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 689 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd
  Dreamstation BiPAP AutoSV VS BiPAP S/T? racprops 1 520 08-07-2022, 11:25 PM
Last Post: LindanHotAir
  Can a BiPAP user use a CPAP if BiPAP not aviable? jdelcore71 6 1,170 06-17-2022, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Do I need BiPAP subin 6 986 12-08-2020, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.