Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Buying CPAP in Ontario: SAVE MONEY
Thumbsup 
Buying CPAP in Ontario: SAVE MONEY
I recently purchased an Auto CPAP and during the course of my search for a DME provider, I picked up on the scam these companies perpetuate.  They'll have you believe the industry competitive, but it's NOT. The 5 providers I connected with quoted the same price for base systems, despite the fact that online vendors are much cheaper.  This is likely explained by the Ontario Health Insurance Program (OHIP), in which the Assistive Devices Program (ADP) covers 75% of prescribed CPAP and the patient covers 25% (minus any insurance coverage they may have, if any).  Online vendors are NOT covered under OHIP and ADP.

Here's a list of the machines and the MAX amount ADP will cover:
  • http://health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/adp/information_technology/docs/respiratory_devices_manual.pdf 

The system I bought is a DreamStation Auto APAP for $1,020.00 minus 75% ($765), which left me with $255 to pay.  You'll notice the small print of what's included in this package:

"Auto-Titrating Positive Airway Pressure (APAP)
An APAP System Includes Pap Device Mask And Headgear, Heated Humidifier, Carrying Case, 6 Ft. Tubing, Power Cord, All Necessary Filters And Caps, Client Instruction Manual."

The description of what's included isn't overly specific and this is where the lines blur.  When asked DME providers indicated the package comes with all of the above, but they went as far as to specify...
  • a standard tube x1
  • a basic or standard mask x1
  • a fine (disposable) filter x1
This meant if I wanted a more suitable mask and a heated tube, I'd have to pay extra, above my $255 (25%) portion, and after seeing the cheaper prices by online vendors, I tried to negotiate the extras.  Based on the pricing provided, it would cost me an addition $300 to $500:
  • Mask: $250 to $375 (A mask beyond the very basic one they include, but was no good for me)
  • Heated Tube: $50 to $150
  • Disposable filters (6-pack): $2/ individual filter ($12)
Some wouldn't even match online pricing.

I was very close to spending the extra $300 until DME Provider #5 replied to my inquiry.  You can imagine my relief and excitement when they quoted me $0.00 for the extra items.  They were ALL included in the base price.
  • A mask of my choice (One caveat:  They don't sell ResMed products, so I didn't get my first choice)
  • A heated tube (the standard tube was also included)
  • A  6-pack of disposable filters
I'm not sure of the forum rules on posting the vendors website, so I'll hold off until requested.  I'm not affiliated with them and my last CPAP purchase was about 8 years ago with a different company - who probably would have charged me extra.

So, ya.  Money saved!  In a better and more evolved society, one would hope the law would side with "Seller Beware!" rather than "Buyer Beware!"
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Buying CPAP in Ontario: SAVE MONEY
Is this supplier listed in our on line supplier list?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi InTouch28,
It's great you found a better deal on line, thanks for sharing.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
InTouch28, welcome to ApneaBoard. You are correct in not putting in a link to this DME's web site, but you can tell us the company name, as long as a browser can't treat it as a link. Generally if we can Google the name that is all we need (or allow). The board is legally a non-profit educational web site, so any links to commercial sites of any kind are not allowed. Product names or company names to be Googled are OK.

And I am definitely curious about new Canadian suppliers that we could add to our Supplier List.
Post Reply Post Reply
It isn't on the Supplier List.  However, forgive me if I unintentionally miswrote/misled this point in my posting, but the DME is a local Brick & Mortar location (Oshawa, Ontario. Canada).  While it has a website, to my knowledge purchases are made on site and not online.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oshawa CPAP Solutions is the Brick & Mortar vendor I purchased from.  However, PAPSmart is an online supplier I didn't see on the list, but they were my online choice for any additional supplies.  For the same package I bought, they have it on sale for $649 with a few included mask options or $699 with your choice of mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I'll check out PAPSmart to see if they can go on our list.
Post Reply Post Reply
Their prices are good. Has anybody ordered from them?  If so are they really a Canadian site or an foreign company with a pseudo Canadian web page.

They do not provide any information about who they are or where they are located.  Something I like to know if any problems arise. 

1 800 number so cannot tell where they operate.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,541 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  My resmed s9 escape auto does not save date and time. jocemar 2 280 12-30-2023, 11:03 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 818 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,982 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,083 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 639 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.