Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] C-Flex+ vs C-Flex?
RE: C-Flex+ vs C-Flex?
I will put my $0.02 in. First I will tell you that I am a Resmed user but what I get from the way the difference is described is the following. The difference is purely the timing of the initiation of EPAP. The C-flex does not begin its reduction of pressure by 2 cm/H2O until the patient has initiated exhalation. The C-flex+ on the other hand begins the 2cm pressure reduction just at the end of the patients actual inhalation. This can be more comfortable for some and it only reduces the time at inhalation pressure by a little bit.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2016, 02:50 PM)johnathonm Wrote: So, may I ask, what do people recommend? Cool

Try them both and find out what works best for you.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2016, 06:28 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(02-20-2016, 02:50 PM)johnathonm Wrote: So, may I ask, what do people recommend? Cool

Try them both and find out what works best for you.

I disabled the flex for a while, as it wasn't quite timed right for my breathing.... It was a weird feeling with it being out of sync.
"I am not a Doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Flex/C-Flex/C-Flex+ is definitely one of the things you have to try and find out what works best for you.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think C-Flex+ (the Plus version) is the same as A-Flex.

I think both C-Flex+ and A-Flex include the original "flow based pressure reduction" of legacy C-Flex (the flow-based portion mostly goes away while we are trying to slowly finish the last bit of our exhale, and is completely gone during the natural pause after we stop actively exhaling but haven't yet started inhaling), plus an additional 2 cmH2O pressure reduction which starts with the beginning of exhalation and remains until inhalation actually begins.

Unlike C-Flex, when using C-Flex+ or A-Flex, the pressure will drop a little while we are tapering down actively inhaling, even though we may still be trying to slowly finish the last little bit of our inhalation. This pressure drop while we are not yet done inhaling is actually bothersome to a new user (but most people can get used to it, after which it is no longer bothersome to them) and is most noticeable when the setting for C-Flex+ or A-Flex is 3.

When using C-Flex+ or A-Flex, a Flex setting of 1 still gives us the full 2 cmH2O pressure relief during exhalation (lasting the full time of our exhale and pause, until we start actively inhaling), but with less "flow based" pressure drop toward the end of inhalation and during the beginning of exhalation.

Therefore, I think a C-Flex+ or A-Flex on a setting of 1 is pretty similar to ResMed EPR on a setting of 2.

With ResMed EPR on a setting of 2, the pressure drops 2 cmH2O as we start actively exhaling (lasting the full time of both our exhale and pause) until we start actively inhaling. Then the pressure smoothly and gradually rises to our normal IPAP pressure and stays at our full normal IPAP pressure until we start actively exhaling.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dear johnathonm. I agree with you, for me the noise and the pressure of ramping up and down was disturbing and I have turned the "gizmos off" - although I am at a lower pressure than you. The remstar "provider guide" has a good explanation of the two modes (i presume the dream station is the same). PM me if you want a copy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2016, 06:22 PM)vsheline Wrote: I think C-Flex+ (the Plus version) is the same as A-Flex.

I think both C-Flex+ and A-Flex include the original "flow based pressure reduction" of legacy C-Flex (the flow-based portion mostly goes away while we are trying to slowly finish the last bit of our exhale, and is completely gone during the natural pause after we stop actively exhaling but haven't yet started inhaling), plus an additional 2 cmH2O pressure reduction which starts with the beginning of exhalation and remains until inhalation actually begins.

I have improperly described Cflex and Aflex in the past as well. Starting with simple C-Flex, it is a flow-based pressure reduction, and the pressure reduction varies with the setting. The chart below comes from a PR document and indicates a pressure reduction of less than 1/2 cmH2O at a setting of 1 and a little over 2 cmH2O at a setting of 3.
[attachment=2184]
A-Flex varies the pressure and flow for both inhalation and exhale.
Quote:During exhalation, A-Flex provides variable expiratory pressure relief that is the same as our clinically proven C-Flex technology. During inhalation, A-Flex also provides inspiratory comfort that varies with the patient’s pressure level. The result is a pressure pattern that matches the patient’s entire breathing cycle. Like C-Flex, there are three patient-selectable A-Flex settings to make therapy more personal.

The descriptions in the patents and literature are very confusing, and it's very hard to get good information on Respironics Flex comfort settings as opposed to the very straight-forward bilevel relief of Resmed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So,how did it work out without any comfort settings?
I never liked CPAP without as my original CPAP did not adjust for comfort.
Trying A-Flex now on my new machine, and then will try Cflex+ and Cflex to see which I prefer.
I figure a full week on each should be good.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Dreamstation) Flex algorithm is out of sync with my breathing skim 12 2,875 02-28-2022, 08:18 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Respironics PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto with A-flex aavenger 6 1,318 11-12-2021, 06:03 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Question re: Virtuox Ultra test with RemStar Auto A-Flex tonight. Help, please. Helena 2 821 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Helena
  [Equipment] Help solving power issue (REMstar Auto A-Flex cycling off/on during use)) RhythmMachine 2 854 07-13-2021, 07:01 PM
Last Post: RhythmMachine
  Noise from Remstar Auto A-flex Greg Schultz 2 828 05-15-2021, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Greg Schultz
  Respironics remstar Pro c-flex system one card won't download staduimjunkie 7 2,337 01-25-2021, 04:50 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  [Pressure] C-Flex , C-Flex+ or A-Flex lobo405 7 3,103 12-23-2020, 04:34 AM
Last Post: lobo405

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.