Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: C-Flex+ vs C-Flex?
I will put my $0.02 in. First I will tell you that I am a Resmed user but what I get from the way the difference is described is the following. The difference is purely the timing of the initiation of EPAP. The C-flex does not begin its reduction of pressure by 2 cm/H2O until the patient has initiated exhalation. The C-flex+ on the other hand begins the 2cm pressure reduction just at the end of the patients actual inhalation. This can be more comfortable for some and it only reduces the time at inhalation pressure by a little bit.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2016 05:58 PM by PaytonA.)
02-20-2016 05:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
eseedhouse Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

(02-20-2016 02:50 PM)johnathonm Wrote:  So, may I ask, what do people recommend? Cool

Try them both and find out what works best for you.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
02-20-2016 06:28 PM
Want2SleepInMT Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: DreamStaion Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp (S/M) Or DreamWear (M frame/S pillow)
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 7-18 (auto)
CPAP Software: EncorePro

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

(02-20-2016 06:28 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:  
(02-20-2016 02:50 PM)johnathonm Wrote:  So, may I ask, what do people recommend? Cool

Try them both and find out what works best for you.

I disabled the flex for a while, as it wasn't quite timed right for my breathing.... It was a weird feeling with it being out of sync.

"I am not a Doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Coffee
02-21-2016 03:36 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

Flex/C-Flex/C-Flex+ is definitely one of the things you have to try and find out what works best for you.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
02-21-2016 05:53 AM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

I think C-Flex+ (the Plus version) is the same as A-Flex.

I think both C-Flex+ and A-Flex include the original "flow based pressure reduction" of legacy C-Flex (the flow-based portion mostly goes away while we are trying to slowly finish the last bit of our exhale, and is completely gone during the natural pause after we stop actively exhaling but haven't yet started inhaling), plus an additional 2 cmH2O pressure reduction which starts with the beginning of exhalation and remains until inhalation actually begins.

Unlike C-Flex, when using C-Flex+ or A-Flex, the pressure will drop a little while we are tapering down actively inhaling, even though we may still be trying to slowly finish the last little bit of our inhalation. This pressure drop while we are not yet done inhaling is actually bothersome to a new user (but most people can get used to it, after which it is no longer bothersome to them) and is most noticeable when the setting for C-Flex+ or A-Flex is 3.

When using C-Flex+ or A-Flex, a Flex setting of 1 still gives us the full 2 cmH2O pressure relief during exhalation (lasting the full time of our exhale and pause, until we start actively inhaling), but with less "flow based" pressure drop toward the end of inhalation and during the beginning of exhalation.

Therefore, I think a C-Flex+ or A-Flex on a setting of 1 is pretty similar to ResMed EPR on a setting of 2.

With ResMed EPR on a setting of 2, the pressure drops 2 cmH2O as we start actively exhaling (lasting the full time of both our exhale and pause) until we start actively inhaling. Then the pressure smoothly and gradually rises to our normal IPAP pressure and stays at our full normal IPAP pressure until we start actively exhaling.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2016 06:59 PM by vsheline.)
02-21-2016 06:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
wishicansleep Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics System 1
Mask Make & Model: philips respironics Nuance Pro Pillows
Humidifier: Respironics
CPAP Pressure: 7
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Begin CPAP 1 Sep 2015

Dear johnathonm. I agree with you, for me the noise and the pressure of ramping up and down was disturbing and I have turned the "gizmos off" - although I am at a lower pressure than you. The remstar "provider guide" has a good explanation of the two modes (i presume the dream station is the same). PM me if you want a copy.
02-21-2016 08:33 PM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(02-21-2016 06:22 PM)vsheline Wrote:  I think C-Flex+ (the Plus version) is the same as A-Flex.

I think both C-Flex+ and A-Flex include the original "flow based pressure reduction" of legacy C-Flex (the flow-based portion mostly goes away while we are trying to slowly finish the last bit of our exhale, and is completely gone during the natural pause after we stop actively exhaling but haven't yet started inhaling), plus an additional 2 cmH2O pressure reduction which starts with the beginning of exhalation and remains until inhalation actually begins.

I have improperly described Cflex and Aflex in the past as well. Starting with simple C-Flex, it is a flow-based pressure reduction, and the pressure reduction varies with the setting. The chart below comes from a PR document and indicates a pressure reduction of less than 1/2 cmH2O at a setting of 1 and a little over 2 cmH2O at a setting of 3.

A-Flex varies the pressure and flow for both inhalation and exhale.
Quote:During exhalation, A-Flex provides variable expiratory pressure relief that is the same as our clinically proven C-Flex technology. During inhalation, A-Flex also provides inspiratory comfort that varies with the patient’s pressure level. The result is a pressure pattern that matches the patient’s entire breathing cycle. Like C-Flex, there are three patient-selectable A-Flex settings to make therapy more personal.

The descriptions in the patents and literature are very confusing, and it's very hard to get good information on Respironics Flex comfort settings as opposed to the very straight-forward bilevel relief of Resmed.

02-21-2016 10:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  philips remstar auto a-flex skylersdad 2 168 11-29-2016 05:47 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Question BiPAP vs EPR/Flex etc? SleepyBee 7 271 11-13-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  [CPAP] Setting up this auto a-flex is really intimidating. SierraMadreMe 6 388 10-27-2016 04:25 AM
Last Post: SierraMadreMe
  Flex settings and hypopneas KSMatthew 4 531 10-21-2016 09:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Respironics Flex setting VTSleeper 12 5,670 10-17-2016 02:49 AM
Last Post: Dreams of Green
  [Equipment] Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex 550P Issue PreciousRoy1981 27 24,130 09-30-2016 06:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Respironics REMstar C-flex JenJen 4 490 09-08-2016 07:22 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred