Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] C-Flex+ vs C-Flex?
C-Flex+ vs C-Flex?
Hi,

I am new here and I am thankful this community exists. I found it today and already found out some great information. I have a question and I was hoping someone might have an answer to it - I have scoured the web and I can't seem to find anything about it.

I am using a Philips Dreamstation and it has the option for C-Flex and C-Flex+. What is the difference between the two? I understand what C-Flex is but what the + is, I can't seem to find out.

I thank you all in advance.

J

Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: C-Flex+ vs C-Flex?
I found this with Google, It may or may not be relevant. Stick around for someone who may know.

• C-Flex – Provides pressure relief upon exhalation to improve comfort based on your needs.
• A-Flex/C-Flex+ – Provides pressure relief taking place at the end of inhalation and at the start of exhalation to improve comfort based on your needs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi johnathonm,
WELCOME! to the forum!, much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2016, 01:30 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: I found this with Google, It may or may not be relevant. Stick around for someone who may know.

• C-Flex – Provides pressure relief upon exhalation to improve comfort based on your needs.
• A-Flex/C-Flex+ – Provides pressure relief taking place at the end of inhalation and at the start of exhalation to improve comfort based on your needs.

Appreciate the reply, I came across that too. I am pretty dense today but if I am interpreting that correctly they provide opposite functions? C-Flex for exhaling and C-Flex+ for inhaling and just at the start.

As I try to break this down in which type of situation would you want either C-Flex or C-Flex+? Or is this one of those just undocumented features that you just "do"?

Thanks for your reply and I look forward to hopefully more insight.

Johnathon

----

Just found my answer (maybe someone can confirm but this is what I stumbled across):

For all of you who don't know the difference between A-Flex and C-Flex on Respironics CPAP machines, you're in good company. Each is a comfort option on the most popular Respironics CPAP machines that makes it easier to tolerate CPAP treatment. A-Flex is a little more comfortable than C-Flex, in that it provides pressure relief on both inhalation and exhalation. C-Flex only provides pressure relief on exhalation.

However, there is often a trade-off between comfort and the most optimal treatment, and that certainly is the case with the distinction between A-Flex and C-Flex. When a CPAP machine's algorithm allows for pressure relief, that of course means the pressure is being reduced. But the very reason we use Positive Airway Pressure in the first place is to have that pressure. So when the pressure is reduced, we are at greater risk for having apneas and hypopneas. On the other hand, if we can't tolerate the pressure without the comfort settings switched on, we will not use the treatment at all, and our machines will become doorstops. A-Flex, one prominent sleep physician told me, is considered the "training wheels" of CPAP therapy because it is the ultimate in comfort settings, and can get people used to CPAP therapy until they are ready to go to the next step, which would be C-Flex. Ideally, though, we'd wean ourselves off both comfort settings, and optimize our treatment in the process.

Most doctors won't tell you about the purposes of these settings, and how to view them in the context of your overall treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2016, 02:13 PM)johnathonm Wrote:
(02-20-2016, 01:30 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: I found this with Google, It may or may not be relevant. Stick around for someone who may know.

Appreciate the reply, I came across that too. I am pretty dense today but if I am interpreting that correctly they provide opposite functions? C-Flex for exhaling and C-Flex+ for inhaling and just at the start.

As I try to break this down in which type of situation would you want either C-Flex or C-Flex+? Or is this one of those just undocumented features that you just "do"?

Thanks for your reply and I look forward to hopefully more insight.

Johnathon

----

Just found my answer (maybe someone can confirm but this is what I stumbled across):

For all of you who don't know the difference between A-Flex and C-Flex on Respironics CPAP machines, you're in good company. Each is a comfort option on the most popular Respironics CPAP machines that makes it easier to tolerate CPAP treatment. A-Flex is a little more comfortable than C-Flex, in that it provides pressure relief on both inhalation and exhalation. C-Flex only provides pressure relief on exhalation.

However, there is often a trade-off between comfort and the most optimal treatment, and that certainly is the case with the distinction between A-Flex and C-Flex. When a CPAP machine's algorithm allows for pressure relief, that of course means the pressure is being reduced. But the very reason we use Positive Airway Pressure in the first place is to have that pressure. So when the pressure is reduced, we are at greater risk for having apneas and hypopneas. On the other hand, if we can't tolerate the pressure without the comfort settings switched on, we will not use the treatment at all, and our machines will become doorstops. A-Flex, one prominent sleep physician told me, is considered the "training wheels" of CPAP therapy because it is the ultimate in comfort settings, and can get people used to CPAP therapy until they are ready to go to the next step, which would be C-Flex. Ideally, though, we'd wean ourselves off both comfort settings, and optimize our treatment in the process.

Most doctors won't tell you about the purposes of these settings, and how to view them in the context of your overall treatment.

Hmmm... I still am not sure though if that really answers my own question. Maybe I shouldn't be exploring at this point. Just was curious.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2016, 02:13 PM)johnathonm Wrote: Most doctors won't tell you about the purposes of these settings, and how to view them in the context of your overall treatment.

Indeed, most doctors don't tell or know much about the machines they recommend. They leave that up to the respiratory technicians at the DME supplier, both of which are often even less capable than the doctor. Ergo, the value of a forum like this where there are people who can fill that need.

Dude

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2016, 02:37 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:
(02-20-2016, 02:13 PM)johnathonm Wrote: Most doctors won't tell you about the purposes of these settings, and how to view them in the context of your overall treatment.

Indeed, most doctors don't tell or know much about the machines they recommend. They leave that up to the respiratory technicians at the DME supplier, both of which are often even less capable than the doctor. Ergo, the value of a forum like this where there are people who can fill that need.

Dude

So, may I ask, what do people recommend? Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I figured that I had two choices; do it my self or get educated enough about it to request that those responsible do it. I chose the former and with the help of this forum was able to take control of my therapy and make it all it could be. I think I got to where I'm supposed to be much faster that way.

All too often a person is given the flow generator and a mask and sent away on their own to figure it out.. The machines are usually set at either full range or what a one-time sleep lab recommended. That often leaves the user with somewhat of a challenge and oft times the equipment ends up in the closet collecting dust.

You are your own best advocate and the more you learn about this therapy the better you will be able to deal with any incompetence from those who should be helping you. You have come to a good place to start that education. Stick around, read posts and ask questions when you feel the need.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2016, 03:09 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: I figured that I had two choices; do it my self or get educated enough about it to request that those responsible do it. I chose the former and with the help of this forum was able to take control of my therapy and make it all it could be. I think I got to where I'm supposed to be much faster that way.

All too often a person is given the flow generator and a mask and sent away on their own to figure it out.. The machines are usually set at either full range or what a one-time sleep lab recommended. That often leaves the user with somewhat of a challenge and oft times the equipment ends up in the closet collecting dust.

You are your own best advocate and the more you learn about this therapy the better you will be able to deal with any incompetence from those who should be helping you. You have come to a good place to start that education. Stick around, read posts and ask questions when you feel the need.

Dude

Definitely,

I have been using my machine for about 2 years now but I just got upgraded to this new unit a few weeks ago. I think I am having some insomnia related to the unit as part of me feels like I am fighting it to breathe. That's why I am trying to tweak the settings as best I can to get it where it needs to be, so I can be comfortable again and not be waking up every night.

Oh and thank you for your replies, I appreciate them.

J
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually decided, after reading through a bunch of posts on the forum, to try things with C-FLEX completely disabled. The artificial breathing patterns might be what's causing me to wake up so frequently during the night. This way, according to the posts, I am getting the prescription my doctor ordered and I also won't be fighting unnatural breathing patterns. I would call that a double win and an experiment I am definitely going to undertake.

I thank you all for your time and assistance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Dreamstation) Flex algorithm is out of sync with my breathing skim 12 2,875 02-28-2022, 08:18 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Respironics PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto with A-flex aavenger 6 1,321 11-12-2021, 06:03 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Question re: Virtuox Ultra test with RemStar Auto A-Flex tonight. Help, please. Helena 2 823 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Helena
  [Equipment] Help solving power issue (REMstar Auto A-Flex cycling off/on during use)) RhythmMachine 2 855 07-13-2021, 07:01 PM
Last Post: RhythmMachine
  Noise from Remstar Auto A-flex Greg Schultz 2 829 05-15-2021, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Greg Schultz
  Respironics remstar Pro c-flex system one card won't download staduimjunkie 7 2,340 01-25-2021, 04:50 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  [Pressure] C-Flex , C-Flex+ or A-Flex lobo405 7 3,108 12-23-2020, 04:34 AM
Last Post: lobo405

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.