Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] CMS50F Pulse Oximeter
CMS50F Pulse Oximeter
Looking to purchase this Oximeter as it seems to be one that Sleephead will support.   If anyone has and or is familiar with the CMS50F Oximeter as to what the sample rate when it is recording for up to 24 hours.   Just curious how often it is recording data as in the number of samples / second or is it the number of samples / minute.  

Also curious as to how quickly do the oxygen saturation number drop vs. time.      I recently had a sleep clinic test and when I requested a copy of all the results it was not the copy of the graphs like we see in the Sleepyhead software but just a very short Drs. report stating some AHI (74) result and that my O2 dropped to 65%  So I am not sure how long of my sleep study was this low or if it took all night to get that low??.     So I was just curious if any one has monitored their Pulse and Oxygen number and then held their breath to see how fast the oxygen level drops.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter
I believe the CMS50F samples every 6 seconds. The F model will only record one session and will overwrite the previous recorded data if you stop it and start again. So don't stop it if you get up for a bathroom break during the night. Also, if you accidentally thump the finger probe it may show up as a quick spike in your data, so don't worry when you see them.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The manual for the 50F is pretty sketchy, I cannot find the sampling rate, but it is sufficient to determine a HR at whatever your BPM is and it looks like it checks the SPO2 every second or 2. ITs faster than you body reacts or changes. I have not tried a breath holding experiment at all, I will give it a shot when I get a chance. It does seem that there is a lot of jitter in the readings, not sure if its my blood flow or the sensor.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the cpap is doing it's job, the o2 should be ok now.
my 50f seems to sample at a per second rate. The o2 level in your finger has a lag time to what is real time events. It takes some seconds for that blood to get to your finger tip. you will also see this in the sleepyhead charts, where the desat happens after the event. I've used it a few times for peace of mind. Even though, I consider the ebay $50 well spent.

I found the machine sd card didn't log some real desats and it also logged hyponemia events where I didn't desat. I'm not dropping under 90% and only have a couple of real desat periods a night now
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi c2workout,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
We just rolled out the SleepO2 an Android App which works with Contec CMS50K wearable Oximeter.

You can search in Google Play for the App. The App also integrates with Fitbit.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have that unit, but don't know the sampling rate. Both heart and primary docs say it is more than adequate though.

As to the sleep study, contact your doctor's office and tell them that you want the RAW data not just the summary report of your sleep study for your records. It should be a series of graphs.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a comma separated data file created that MS Excel reads. Four columns DATE, TIME, SPO2, and PULSE. The file contains an entry for every second of the recording. While this does not directly answer the question of sensor sample rate, it is suggestive. I looked at one minute of data for Pulse 4,5,1,8,11,15,2,14; for SPO2 - 3,8,2,5,4,38. The string of numbers are the length of time a value persisted consecutively before changing. So for pulse, the value at the start of the minute persisted for 4 seconds, the new value lasted 5 seconds then 1 second, etc.

I don't know whether there is any "sub second" sampling that results in the reported values. Hope this helps
Post Reply Post Reply
My data suggests that the sample rate is once a second.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's worth remembering that pulse oximeters of all types measure SPO2, and that means oximeters measure the oxygen saturation at the skin. A more accurate measure is PA02, or arterial  oxygen gas pressure. Because SPO2 is measured at the skin, oximeter sampling rate is fairly irrelevant because there will always be a delay in time before changes in arterial blood oxygen saturation become measurable at the skin, especially at one of our digits.
Keep om breathin'.
Geoff
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,223 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,841 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 92 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 204 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 675 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 230 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.