Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] CPAP Guardian Disinfector
Question 
CPAP Guardian Disinfector
A Beary good day to you all.

Has anyone heard of the CPAP Guardian?
Used for disinfecting CPAP Machines.
See below for a description.

I'm seeking help to evaluate the benefit or not of this device. While I understand that the principle of using ozone to kill harmful microbes is sound, I can't find any scientific info confirming if this particular device has been PROVEN effective or not. Or anyone that may have expertise who might offer the pros & cons or any insightful experience about the device.

Could it produce enough ozone to be effective? Could it damage the internal CPAP plastic components over time? Someone has raised those questions on an old link but not at this forum or website. A person in the industry suggested to me the heating components of a CPAP machine & tube tends to kill the microbes anyway thus making an additional ozone device not really necessary!

Description:
It's a battery powered device that disinfects inside & outside the CPAP machine including tubing with ozone gas that it generates while inside a sealed container or bag. It turns itself off & does not require the CPAP machine to be on while disinfecting.

There's a YouTube video demonstration if you want a better idea how it works, just Google it. Any insightful information would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Guardian Disinfector
In the pool biz Ozone tends to be like snake oil. It's not much use but I have no idea about this device. Just wanted to say Welcome
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepingBear,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I have not heard of that particular CPAP cleaner.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I will thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ozone at a significant level would also cause degradation of the non metallic parts.
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need this. About as much as another hole in the head.

Stuff grows in stagnant water. It does not grow in a briskly-moving stream. Your xPAP is used 8 of every 24 hours, and is therefore a briskly-moving stream. Just wash out the tub daily, wash the nosepiece or mask regularly, and take the hose with you into the shower once a week.

Mine uses "cooldown" mode to blow air through the tube to dry it out (the humidifier heat is off then). Then I open the lid and remove the tub. It's amazing how many bad things do not happen when there is no water involved, which is the case for my tub, hose, and mask the other 16 hours of the day.

I guess you could always take the xPAP to the bowling alley and have them put it on that ultraviolet shoe thing. You need that, too, Right?
Post Reply Post Reply
Mmm...... I've heard it can make the plastic brittle over time. I don't really have any knowledge of what ozone does except protect the earth from radiation and apparently it's the smell you get after it rains.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your more than welcome to waste your money IMHO.
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2015, 11:49 AM)SleepingBear Wrote: While I understand that the principle of using ozone to kill harmful microbes is sound, I can't find any scientific info confirming if this particular device has been PROVEN effective or not.

The biggest obstacle to keeping your gear clean is your own habits. Some of us wash the hose, mask, and tube daily while others go weeks without doing it. Most of us are somewhere in between.

Nothing has been shown clinically to be better than hot soapy water. But like dental hygiene it's all about our own habits. You can buy all kinds of stuff to keep your mouth clean, none of it works if you don't use it, and nothing has been shown clinically to work better than brushing two or three times a day.

Don't waste your money on machines like this. They're snake oil.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.